X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowstone
    replied
    Originally posted by alexl View Post
    Went out Tuesday and caught my limit of 45 fish in 3 hours.
    How were the crowds?

Leave a comment:

• alexl
    replied
    Went out Tuesday and caught my limit of 45 fish in 3 hours.

Leave a comment:

• BigDipper
    replied
    Brother-in-law and his wife drove down from Anchorage this morning. He picked up my 2 nets at about 7 AM. They fished the north shore until noon, and got 20.

Leave a comment:

• element
    replied
    Picked up 15 Thursday btwn 1730 - 1900 on the N. shore. Fish in the bag every 6 min is just right for me! Waves breaking right along shoreline made for an interesting time of it! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• gokorn1
    replied
    Anyone have any new updates? Going to head down tomorrow and hope for the big push that may or may not be coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ilovefish
    replied
    Dipped the south shore out going tide at 6 to 930 am on 7/23. I caught about 30 fish 1-2 hour before low tide. I was walking the line with 6 extension blue poles. Seems like the fish were moving on top of the water column in calmer water and close to the bottom in rougher waters from boat wakes and wind.

Waited for afternoon outgoing tide and it was slow for me with long reach. Shorter nets were the ticket. Be prepare to tinker with the length of your net depending on tides wind etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye Scott
    replied
    Dipped last night from a boat with two nets. From 8:00 to 11:00 we landed 15 reds and 3 pinks. Not very good numbers but still getting some fish put away. The best part was that the weather was awesome and it was not crowded. I am still hopeful that some large number of sockeye make for the river. It seems to me that it has been a pretty slow year for the dippers and the sporties. I personally have not seen the numbers of reds in the river that i usually see.

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    Originally posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    wHEN THE FISH are in, they are in. Used to think a commercial drift EO would ruin my chances... not any more. I love windows but they are also trampled over by fish and game a time or two. As long as it is not done too often, I can live with that.
    As long as setnets aren't fishing, huh whop?

Noticed you joined the association of KRSA associates trying to ban setnetting in UCI. Looks like you're now a board member of the AFCA.

Bummer man... I thought you supported a diverse fishery. I bet Ricky-Bobby buys some nice stake dinners though.... Or whatever else you may need...

Leave a comment:

• mudbuddy
    replied
    Weir count 64,000 yesterday.
    & Good tides.
    Time to catch fish !

Leave a comment:

• BigDipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    So a quick CPUE calculation from the weekend. Just wondering how it stacked up against other groups. Also to try and correlate escapement to future expectation for dipping.

So On Fri (7/18) escapement was 39K, SAT 17K, Sun 34K, Mon 64K. I added Monday as there seems to be a 12 to 24 hour lag to the counter.

We had three boats mainly running three nets since it was slow. We prefer running two.

The three boats fished 51 hours over the weekend (FRI-SUN) for a total of 521 reds. Perhaps just as interesting the group dipped 4 kings which seemed like a lot (all safely released of course!) a few pinks, no silvers.

So our group managed 10.2 fish an hour. Great, good, slow, bad?

Hmmm...do I even dare say it was slow? Keep in mind that fish every 6 minutes on the boat means the net you are holding got hit every 18 minutes if you are running three nets. I am going to stick with my initial assessment of "SUPER scratch fishing" or a "slow but steady during the peak."
    Your numbers are right in line with my brother who spent 13 hours on a boat with 4 nets running that caught 138 fish on Saturday. That's just over 10 per hour, or an average of 2.6 fish per net per hour. They went one 2.5 hour period with only 4 fish caught.

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    So a quick CPUE calculation from the weekend. Just wondering how it stacked up against other groups. Also to try and correlate escapement to future expectation for dipping.

So On Fri (7/18) escapement was 39K, SAT 17K, Sun 34K, Mon 64K. I added Monday as there seems to be a 12 to 24 hour lag to the counter.

We had three boats mainly running three nets since it was slow. We prefer running two.

The three boats fished 51 hours over the weekend (FRI-SUN) for a total of 521 reds. Perhaps just as interesting the group dipped 4 kings which seemed like a lot (all safely released of course!) a few pinks, no silvers.

So our group managed 10.2 fish an hour. Great, good, slow, bad?

Hmmm...do I even dare say it was slow? Keep in mind that fish every 6 minutes on the boat means the net you are holding got hit every 18 minutes if you are running three nets. I am going to stick with my initial assessment of "SUPER scratch fishing" or a "slow but steady during the peak."

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    One last look at the mouth of the Kenai before heading home. It's 10:15am on July 22nd. Tide is out and the crowd has thinned to about 20% of what it was late last week. There has to be a huge shot of fish out there somewhere, and they will arrive any day now. The beaches look pretty dead right now, but when the fish do arrive, it could be the perfect combination of tons of fish and uncrowded beaches. Wish I could be here to see it. Best of luck to those still coming down. It could be absolutely epic.

Winter is still a long way off; the fireweed is only halfway bloomed!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ADMINS!!!!!!! BAN please!!!!!!

Lol...

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
    Second!!!