X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coho slayer
    replied
    Originally posted by smithtb View Post
    Because you can buy fish from a nearby commercial fisherman if you don't catch what you need. (Assuming certain politicians aren't successful in shutting them down) It's completely legal as long as they have a catcher/seller permit. I would assume you would pay somewhere around $3.00-$3.50 per pound right now.
    Oh, OK. I don't think most people even know that's an option. Makes sense, though.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    This was a quick hijack.....

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    2014 Kenai River Reports

Because you can buy fish from a nearby commercial fisherman if you don't catch what you need. (Assuming certain politicians aren't successful in shutting them down) It's completely legal as long as they have a catcher/seller permit. I would assume you would pay somewhere around $3.00-$3.50 per pound right now.

Leave a comment:

• coho slayer
    replied
    Why would a PU fisherman compare the value to dockside? Assume most aren't commercial fisherman and have to pay for fish at the store if we don't get what we need. Even at $10/lb that's $1100 worth of fish to the consumer. Figure $200 hundred spent on gas and food for the trip, and yeah...that's a money saver.

Keep the reports coming...I'm stuck on the slope and have to hope the run doesn't die down by the time I get back.

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    Yes, we do love the fat hens, don't we? Glad you enjoyed the successful trip.

Leave a comment:

• Burntfrog
    replied
    Originally posted by smithtb View Post
    So 33 salmon at a 6# average (bet yours is higher) would be roughly 200# of salmon. At a dockside price of $3.00 per pound - this is bare bones wholesale price for Sockeye unless you're buying by the ton - that's roughly $600 worth of salmon. Much more if you buy from the market.

Just curious who would consider this a successful trip. Did the mighty Kenai meet your expectations? If others meet with similar fortune, will they return to the shining city on the hill happy, or will they complain to their local legislators that the Kenai did not provide?

Seriously, all sarcasm aside, trying to get a barometric reading here... Pretty scary when big city legislators start talking about hijacking local resource management decisions that affect my community greatly - Kenai and Kasilof Sockeye management decisions which until very recently have been locally made, overwhelmingly successful, and for the most part science based - part of the reason we have abundant returns now.
    I ended up with 117# of fillets when it was all said and done, and I like to compare that to the price of fillets at the store which is $15-$20 /pound. So yes, I consider it a success. I also consider ANY time spent out of town and on the water a success. For some reason, the fish on the incoming tide were decent size but had a few small ones in the mix. On the outgoing tide, almost every single fish was a fat hen in the 8-10lb range. I got 15lbs of eggs for silver season!

I finally bought a little digital fish scale so I had a better idea on the size of fish I catch.

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    So 33 salmon at a 6# average (bet yours is higher) would be roughly 200# of salmon. At a dockside price of $3.00 per pound - this is bare bones wholesale price for Sockeye unless you're buying by the ton - that's roughly $600 worth of salmon. Much more if you buy from the market.

Just curious who would consider this a successful trip. Did the mighty Kenai meet your expectations? If others meet with similar fortune, will they return to the shining city on the hill happy, or will they complain to their local legislators that the Kenai did not provide?

Seriously, all sarcasm aside, trying to get a barometric reading here... Pretty scary when big city legislators start talking about hijacking local resource management decisions that affect my community greatly - Kenai and Kasilof Sockeye management decisions which until very recently have been locally made, overwhelmingly successful, and for the most part science based - part of the reason we have abundant returns now.

Leave a comment:

• Burntfrog
    started a topic 2014 Kenai River Reports

2014 Kenai River Reports

Went down friday morning, 7/11/14, to the north shore. We hit the evening incoming tide and managed 13 right off the bat. Went dead for 3 hours until high slack tide. FIlleted fish for a little bit then hit the outgoing tide for another 20. Grand total 33 for two nets and 6 hours of 'work'

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X