X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smithtb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mkay View Post
    Dipnetting helps build relationships, this happy wife rows the 6ft inflatable upstream while the husband drinks a beer and dipnets. Who needs a motor?
    Row faster little lady.
    That wasn't beer they were smoking.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Just rolled into town; my dip netting partner had a commitment tomorrow and there is also a wedding to attend. Pretty slow today too (four fish between two nets; fished the morning high and the low). The comm boats were out today, and were clearly visible fishing off the mouth. I don't believe they can wipe out the dip netting, so I 'm not trying to say that... but they were out there fishing today.

Our total count for four days between two nets: 21 fish. We weren't lazy either; we were out in the splash zone, and one of our poles was 26', so we were out there... not many fish.

I agree that the run seems to be later this year. I can tell you that it was a zoo at the north side today, and tomorrow will be worse in terms of numbers of people. Some frayed nerves at times, especially when someone has the audacity to catch a fish. For some reason others think you are done and have "lost your spot" (one guy actually told someone that). Attitudes will improve when people are catching fish.

On a sour note, this is the first year I have had someone steal something from me down there. We offloaded our gear, and my son-in-law was hauling it to the beach while I parked the truck. Somewhere in the process, one of my dipnet extension poles (10' section) "disappeared". I want to think that someone accidentally thought it was theirs, but it never materialized. If you or I did that unintentionally, we would put it back where it was, or would return it to the gate shack. No dice. Cost me 45 bucks to replace (the net was from the guy over by the boat ramp). If anyone out there finds an extra pole section, give me a shout, would you? I hope it wasn't stolen!

I may be heading back down there Sunday or Monday... by myself if my son-in-law can't go.

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Mkay View Post
    Dipnetting helps build relationships, this happy wife rows the 6ft inflatable upstream while the husband drinks a beer and dipnets. Who needs a motor?
    Row faster little lady.
    Too da*n funny...!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mkay
    replied
    Row faster little lady.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mkay
    replied
    These Gents would like to give a shout out to Commercial Fishing Vesssel "TLC" for letting them tie off to their boat. You guys are the bestest.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dakota98
    replied
    Talked to a F&G guy while we were checking the mouth on yet another slow day about the 14th, he said things won't improve until the tides go below 20ft. I believe him -- he had been watching things for about 20 years, seems to confirm what he said, especially if the sonar numbers dramatically improve. He said it should start to pick up the 19th, and I bet the numbers will be way higher for today.

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerka View Post
    No, prior to last weekend people were going to blame the commercial fishery for no fish on the weekend. But they did not fish near the river mouth that week. This week the set nets fished 9 hours prior to Thursday and the terminal area at Kasilof. The drift fleet fished out in Area 1 and the corridor. Those fisheries cannot stop or seriously impact Kenai fish movement to the beach. Look at the escapement counts

I am sorry most people have little understanding of UCI fish movement because it creates tension and hard feeling for no reason.
    No, most people have little understanding due to being lazy and not doing the research to understand timing and movements of fish in UCI. They prefer to have someone like you hold their hand and explain it at a fifth grade level.

Leave a comment:

• Nerka
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDipper View Post
    Have you been sleeping? There's been SOME Commercial gear in the water just about every day this week!!
    No, prior to last weekend people were going to blame the commercial fishery for no fish on the weekend. But they did not fish near the river mouth that week. This week the set nets fished 9 hours prior to Thursday and the terminal area at Kasilof. The drift fleet fished out in Area 1 and the corridor. Those fisheries cannot stop or seriously impact Kenai fish movement to the beach. Look at the escapement counts

I am sorry most people have little understanding of UCI fish movement because it creates tension and hard feeling for no reason.

Leave a comment:

• Mkay
    replied
    We had fun regardless.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mkay
    replied
    Caught 30 from 0600-1800 or so on Wednesday from a boat, caught 32 in 4 hours late Thursday (1430-1830) from a boat.

Leave a comment:

• BigDipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerka View Post
    .... Commercial gear has not been in the water most of the week and fishing is still slow.
    Have you been sleeping? There's been SOME Commercial gear in the water just about every day this week!!

Leave a comment:

• scott_rn
    replied
    Fished Thursday, 7/17. Morning tide from a boat we caught 18 salmon running two nets, I went to the north Beach for the evening tide and struck out.

Leave a comment:

• Nerka
    replied
    Originally posted by JuliW View Post
    I know this is supposed to be 'the' week for dIp netting..Will it be worth going tues next week?
    Seeing lots of posts here that are just totally wrong. First, next week could be great dip netting. The Kenai sockeye run is looking very late and thus entry will be over the next week or more. The goal is 1 million fish or more into the river and only 300,000 have entered which means a lot of fish yet to put into the river. So Tuesday could be fine. I would just keeping checking with ADF&G site and see how the counts are going.

Next, the drift gill net fleet is fishing very far south and cannot stop fish from coming to the river. On a good day the most they can take in the corridor is about 20% of what is available to them. They only take 40% when given a district wide period.

Finally, sockeye come to the river when they are ready and this year they have been late into the inlet and relatively late to enter. I suspect this weekend will be good and it should follow through to next week. It is just not true that the commercial gear stops the run. Commercial gear has not been in the water most of the week and fishing is still slow.

Leave a comment:

• jmg
    replied
    Dipped Tuesday through Thursday from south beach. Pretty dang slow. Friends that were with us had 3 nets in the water tues./wed. and managed 12. We got 34 through Thursday.

And for the record, the trip would have been "worth it" had we only got 5. Week off work, at the beach with family, and teaching my kids how to clean salmon. Tomorrow they brush up on filleting and pulling pin bones. It's not all about economics.

Leave a comment:

• BigDipper
    replied
    Originally posted by JuliW View Post
    I know this is supposed to be 'the' week for dIp netting..Will it be worth going tues next week?
    No. If you miss this week, just stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X