Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Kenai River Reports

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by BigDipper View Post
    Have you been sleeping? There's been SOME Commercial gear in the water just about every day this week!!
    No, prior to last weekend people were going to blame the commercial fishery for no fish on the weekend. But they did not fish near the river mouth that week. This week the set nets fished 9 hours prior to Thursday and the terminal area at Kasilof. The drift fleet fished out in Area 1 and the corridor. Those fisheries cannot stop or seriously impact Kenai fish movement to the beach. Look at the escapement counts

    I am sorry most people have little understanding of UCI fish movement because it creates tension and hard feeling for no reason.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Nerka View Post
      No, prior to last weekend people were going to blame the commercial fishery for no fish on the weekend. But they did not fish near the river mouth that week. This week the set nets fished 9 hours prior to Thursday and the terminal area at Kasilof. The drift fleet fished out in Area 1 and the corridor. Those fisheries cannot stop or seriously impact Kenai fish movement to the beach. Look at the escapement counts

      I am sorry most people have little understanding of UCI fish movement because it creates tension and hard feeling for no reason.
      No, most people have little understanding due to being lazy and not doing the research to understand timing and movements of fish in UCI. They prefer to have someone like you hold their hand and explain it at a fifth grade level.
      Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

      Comment


      • #48
        Talked to a F&G guy while we were checking the mouth on yet another slow day about the 14th, he said things won't improve until the tides go below 20ft. I believe him -- he had been watching things for about 20 years, seems to confirm what he said, especially if the sonar numbers dramatically improve. He said it should start to pick up the 19th, and I bet the numbers will be way higher for today.

        Comment


        • #49
          These Gents would like to give a shout out to Commercial Fishing Vesssel "TLC" for letting them tie off to their boat. You guys are the bestest.
          Attached Files
          My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

          Comment


          • #50
            Dipnetting helps build relationships, this happy wife rows the 6ft inflatable upstream while the husband drinks a beer and dipnets. Who needs a motor?
            Row faster little lady.
            Attached Files
            My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mkay View Post
              Dipnetting helps build relationships, this happy wife rows the 6ft inflatable upstream while the husband drinks a beer and dipnets. Who needs a motor?
              Row faster little lady.
              Too da*n funny...!!!
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

              Comment


              • #52
                Just rolled into town; my dip netting partner had a commitment tomorrow and there is also a wedding to attend. Pretty slow today too (four fish between two nets; fished the morning high and the low). The comm boats were out today, and were clearly visible fishing off the mouth. I don't believe they can wipe out the dip netting, so I 'm not trying to say that... but they were out there fishing today.

                Our total count for four days between two nets: 21 fish. We weren't lazy either; we were out in the splash zone, and one of our poles was 26', so we were out there... not many fish.

                I agree that the run seems to be later this year. I can tell you that it was a zoo at the north side today, and tomorrow will be worse in terms of numbers of people. Some frayed nerves at times, especially when someone has the audacity to catch a fish. For some reason others think you are done and have "lost your spot" (one guy actually told someone that). Attitudes will improve when people are catching fish.

                On a sour note, this is the first year I have had someone steal something from me down there. We offloaded our gear, and my son-in-law was hauling it to the beach while I parked the truck. Somewhere in the process, one of my dipnet extension poles (10' section) "disappeared". I want to think that someone accidentally thought it was theirs, but it never materialized. If you or I did that unintentionally, we would put it back where it was, or would return it to the gate shack. No dice. Cost me 45 bucks to replace (the net was from the guy over by the boat ramp). If anyone out there finds an extra pole section, give me a shout, would you? I hope it wasn't stolen!

                I may be heading back down there Sunday or Monday... by myself if my son-in-law can't go.

                -Mike
                Michael Strahan
                Site Owner
                Alaska Hunt Consultant
                1 (406) 662-1791

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Mkay View Post
                  Dipnetting helps build relationships, this happy wife rows the 6ft inflatable upstream while the husband drinks a beer and dipnets. Who needs a motor?
                  Row faster little lady.
                  That wasn't beer they were smoking.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Nerka View Post
                    ...next week could be great dip netting...
                    Big slug moving up middle rip N of Anchor Pt.



                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by gr8fl View Post
                      Big slug moving up middle rip N of Anchor Pt.



                      can you tell us where you got info?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I heard the same thing three days ago....
                        Www.blackriverhunting.com
                        Master guide 212

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by sh View Post
                          can you tell us where you got info?
                          Look at the OTF numbers.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by BigDipper View Post
                            Have you been sleeping? There's been SOME Commercial gear in the water just about every day this week!!
                            Seems if they need an "Emergency Order" to allow the commercial fleet to catch more fish
                            & let the set nets & drifters fish every day, why are the dip netters not allowed to fish 24/7.
                            No doubt they pretty much shut down the fish at the river entrance & dip netting will be very slow.

                            A Simple amendment to the dip netting "personal use" rule book.:
                            "If an emergency order, or an reason the commercial fishery is allowed extra time to fish, any time other than their scheduled openings,
                            dip netting is open 24/7"


                            Also , could have the EO commercial opening times from 9 PM to 5 AM.
                            They are equipped with lights & electronics & it isn't really dark that time of the year.

                            I know it's said that "the commercial nets don't slow or reduce the numbers of fish coming into the Kenai river "
                            But logic tells most of us different. Miles of nets are catching 10s of thousands of fish every day they are fishing.

                            Vacations, schedules & planned trips to go to the Kenai fishing are not easily changed
                            when only a few hours before an EO notifies the commercial guys they are open to go fishing.

                            A never ending conflict, but with some reasonable rule modifications, some of it could be eased.
                            Tough for F&G to manage, but a few changes might make it less likely to blame.
                            More information of when the "big run" is projected to hit the river could be broadcast too & projected numbers, with dates might help too..

                            History show the 15th or 16th the date the big one hits, didn't happen that way this year
                            OR
                            The "commercial guys " got them all . LOL

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by sh View Post
                              can you tell us where you got info?
                              http://aksalmondipnetting.com/UCI/node/5

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by mudbuddy View Post
                                Seems if they need an "Emergency Order" to allow the commercial fleet to catch more fish
                                & let the set nets & drifters fish every day, why are the dip netters not allowed to fish 24/7.
                                No doubt they pretty much shut down the fish at the river entrance & dip netting will be very slow.

                                A Simple amendment to the dip netting "personal use" rule book.:
                                "If an emergency order, or an reason the commercial fishery is allowed extra time to fish, any time other than their scheduled openings,
                                dip netting is open 24/7"


                                Also , could have the EO commercial opening times from 9 PM to 5 AM.
                                They are equipped with lights & electronics & it isn't really dark that time of the year.

                                I know it's said that "the commercial nets don't slow or reduce the numbers of fish coming into the Kenai river "
                                But logic tells most of us different. Miles of nets are catching 10s of thousands of fish every day they are fishing.

                                Vacations, schedules & planned trips to go to the Kenai fishing are not easily changed
                                when only a few hours before an EO notifies the commercial guys they are open to go fishing.

                                A never ending conflict, but with some reasonable rule modifications, some of it could be eased.
                                Tough for F&G to manage, but a few changes might make it less likely to blame.
                                More information of when the "big run" is projected to hit the river could be broadcast too & projected numbers, with dates might help too..

                                History show the 15th or 16th the date the big one hits, didn't happen that way this year
                                OR
                                The "commercial guys " got them all . LOL
                                No offense but this post is just full of misinformation. First the set nets north of mid-K-Beach have fished one 12 hour period this year. Yes, one.

                                The drift fleet has been fishing well south of the river mouth and offshore. The set nets south of mid-K beach have fish more but recent openings have been limited to the mouth of the Kasilof River.

                                Now relative to commercial fishing at night. It is not only dangerous it is not needed. Setting set nets in the dark in rough weather is very dangerous. Also set net skiffs do not have lights as you suggest. The drift fleet does not fish at night for the same reasons. The fishing next to rips and weather combine for the need to fish during the day. Obviously you have never been out in the inlet on a drift boat.

                                Next, the dip net fishery is allocated fish and time just like every other user group. The City of Kenai does not allow fishing from 11pm to 4 am because they need to clean the beaches of all the waste PU fisherman leave behind.

                                Logic must be based on knowledge and false statements cannot lead to a true statement. So most people have a poor understanding of these fisheries and thus they make false statements and come to wrong conclusions.

                                Now relative to the run. ADF&G says that it is still a forecast run of 6.1 million to the inlet. To date harvest by all user groups and escapement totals about 2.6 million. That means 3.5 million to come. If all the goals are met at the upper end then 1.2 million of those fish are needed for escapement. So that leaves 2.3 million for all harvesters. The dip net fishery has taken probably 100,000 fish to date and usually takes around 500,000 so that means 1.9 million left to commercial and sport fisherman below the counter. Sport fisherman take about 100,000 so that leaves 1.8 million sockeye to harvest most of which are headed to the Kenai. So given these numbers one can see why the commercial fleet must fish to meet the goals. Pretty logical.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X