Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Okay one more update and I'm outta here. Picked up five more fish and I'm done. It picked up dramatically after high tide and it looks like most folks are hitting fish. I'm on the beach now and nets are going in and out of the water fairly quickly. Not the proverbial "wall of fish", but the kind of day where you fish all day and maybe get 15-20. Not bad and if you have a coupla days you might pull a limit out. Beats mowing the lawn anyway!

What a place we live! Stand in the famous Kenai River and have one of the finest seafoods on the planet swim right into your net. Yes, we pay our dues in the winter, but these are the days of paradise. Get out there and spend yourself to exhaustion! Get some campfire smoke on your clothes, grill a fillet on the coals. Make some memories with the kids and give them some reasons to be glad they have you for a parent. Stay up late, and fall into the sleeping bag exhausted.

Winter is coming.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Nerka
    replied
    Originally posted by extrema View Post
    Seems like you are trying to speak out of both sides of your mouth sir. "may get that level" "no where near that". I guess that means you will be half right when it's all said and done.
    Did you miss the part about full out fishing - that means the drifters are district wide, the set nets are fishing lots of extra periods, and the terminal fishery is in place. Nothing like that is happening this year.

Also, no one is saying the size of the run is not reduced but saying the timing of entry the river is stopped is false.

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
    We dipped from a boat Thursday and got 15. I had some left over from last year so didn't need my 75 limit. Got enough for the winter again. Had all four kids under 10 on the boat running nets, had a great time! No complaints from us!
    Loved the sped up video!
    That's awesome! I didn't have my kids this week but I definitely want to let them experience it. We are the chatty type and we talked to 3 or 4 kids under teen years that were just beaming with a smile. We'd ask how many fish? And a couple kids proudly answered 3 or 4. Parents seemed a bit embarrassed but the kids were all smiles.

I keep telling myself that I can be 1/3 less efficient and still keep the same number of fish since we fish multiple permits on a boat instead if just my family. But over the years, our group has somehow evolved into this efficient/competitive maximize CPUE machines. Maybe i need to rethink that!

Kudos to all the parents who take their kids outdoors!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    We dipped from a boat Thursday and got 15. I had some left over from last year so didn't need my 75 limit. Got enough for the winter again. Had all four kids under 10 on the boat running nets, had a great time! No complaints from us!
    Loved the sped up video!

Leave a comment:

• Burntfrog
    replied
    Hit it this past friday, the 18th, and got another 17...not huge numbers but definitely made the trip worth it. Incoming tide was very slow, only got 2, but picked up a couple hours after the tide turned, for the other 15. Hopefully I can make it one more time to fill my limit...

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    This is one of the first years I didn't try and schedule my trip when I figured they'd be running. I just went when I could down there vs. trying to time the run. A buddy claimed last Friday would be the start of the second surge, didn't seem to pan out.

The only thing you can be assured of is they show when they show, and hopefully you're there when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Just took a peek off the bluff and it looks slow. A few fish being caught though. I have five left and am going for it. You know how it is, they show up when they show up. This year ALL the prognosticators I've read have egg on their faces. Keeps us humble.

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Dipped Friday noon for about 4 hours. One net floating and managed 19 fish on the North shore. I don't ever remember seeing so many people, it was shoulder to shoulder the entire length of the shore and it looked like it was very slow for people fishing from shore.

BTW, check your gear before heading down! My home made hoop finally gave up the ghost after ~10 seasons.

I just kept fishing with the broken hoop, didn't seem to matter.

I'm not sure how the sonar numbers correlate, as years past when I've fished with over 20k going through the sonar I've landed between 30 and 65 in two hours. I'm not complaining about catching 19 fish, a lot easier to process when you get home!

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Originally posted by smithtb View Post
    That's great so long as you realize you have very high - unrealistically high at times - expectations.
    I agree our expectations are fairly high. We are VERY grateful for every fish we caught so I agree expectations may be higher than it should be. But we have boats and folks living in Kenai always monitoring the beaches. We try to time the run so we only have to dip one or two days max. While we enjoy dipnetting, all of us are also very much into other summer time activities so we try to minimize the dipnetting times.

While we try and take family and such, we typically man our boats with fairly seasoned veterans. It makes a HUGE difference over the course of hours. We share info among several boats. We take a boat with a clear deck space. We assign tasks to clear the nets as fast as possible. etc. Instead of it being a family affair, its typically 3 to 4 permits per boat and we hit it hard. I know everyone does this to some degree, but we definitely do our best to maximize the Catch per unit effort. This year has been a very strange run and we were all down in Kenai so we went out on days where the counts were lower than when we typically go.

Here's a video of 50 reds in 50 min. Uncut video sped up 10X. I looked back and the two boat tally was 230 the previous day. I think we've maxed our equipment out at 180 fish per boat. My friend's definitely have the boat set up. I wonder how we ever did it in the past with boat seats, consoles, and extra people. Won't let me post more than one video but I have another one on my youtube channel of a little "slower" day.

Leave a comment:

• JuliW
    replied
    Going Wed with my daughter. Hopefully it will still be good. Or good enough to get a few fish for the freezer.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    Dipnetted from the beach yesterday for five or six hours and pulled 23 by myself. Most of the activity was about two hours after low tide; at one point it was a fish every five minutes or so. Not bad, and a significant improvement over last week. Rolled into bed at 3am after cleaning the fish. Alaska summer aerobics and sleep deprivation at its best. I'd say if you have a net and the time, hit it NOW. It's only gonna get better, but you don't wanna be the guy hearing "you should have been here yesterday".

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Yah, it is perspective. I was with three other guys who ran their own boats yesterday and they managed 293 total.

I guess we consider it a great day when we run two nets and break 100 on a tide.

Sounds like a lot but we split the fish over 7 or 8 permits.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    That's great so long as you realize you have very high - unrealistically high at times - expectations.

Leave a comment:

• extrema
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerka View Post
    Not even close. Over the season the exploitation rate may get that level but that was with full out fishing. With the restrictions in place the exploitation rate is no where near that. More misinformation.
    Seems like you are trying to speak out of both sides of your mouth sir. "may get that level" "no where near that". I guess that means you will be half right when it's all said and done.

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
    You and I have very different definitions of slow fishing. I'd be thrilled with those numbers!
    Yah, it is perspective. I was with three other guys who ran their own boats yesterday and they managed 293 total.

I guess we consider it a great day when we run two nets and break 100 on a tide.

Sounds like a lot but we split the fish over 7 or 8 permits.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• Nerka
    replied
    Originally posted by extrema View Post
    The commercial gear will prevent 75% of the run from entering the river.
    Not even close. Over the season the exploitation rate may get that level but that was with full out fishing. With the restrictions in place the exploitation rate is no where near that. More misinformation.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X