Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible EO opening for weekend = no fish for Dipnetters

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...per-cook-inlet

?? Where does that article say that they will EO it?

The setnetters have 15 hours left to fish before the sunday restart of the 36 hour clock - - - pretty sure they will fish it.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought the set netters had to use or loose their 36 hours before 7 am Fridays unless a change is issued by E.O. and according to the news story that is what F&G is meeting about today to see if they are going to issue an E.O. to give the set netters an extra window past the 7 am Friday cut off time.

Comment

I read it too quickly. I would not doubt for a minute that they will give the setnetters more time. Take away from them - I would doubt.

Comment

Sockeye escapements into both the Kenai and Kasilof rivers are RECORD to date. An opening would not mean no fish for dipnetters, just means you will have one more factor to time for, and may not get your limit inside of 20 min. When there are fish present, everyone catches, especially if you know how to read a tide book.

Not to mention the Kasilof has had great dipping for nearly a month now.

Comment

I agree with smithb.

We are heading down tonight and going to give it a go at the mouth with dipnets for a couple hours tomorrow. I don't think that we'll hit em but it will beat working OT for straight time pay! We'll go floss after that somewhere.

Which tides are the best for the dippers? slack high to outgoing?

Comment

Of course they are.

Comment

I agree with SmithB I have had some great days of dipping while the setnetters were out.
                I mean the kind of days where you get 20 fish an hour or more in the boat.
                Usually I plan to go out early to catch the fish the are already past all the nets by the 7am (typically) setnet opener.
                So IMHO an EO this weekend = get your butt out there early and get you fish. If you don't get your fish please don't come on this forum and blame somebody else though I am sure somebody will.Unless they stole your cooler of fish then you can complain.lol

Sorry to say this and I do say it every year,But if you don't like how it is on the Peninsula then Stay home or find your fish elsewhere.
                It seems PU fishers are never happy! No matter how much fish they harvest and/or how cheaply they do it.
                "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                  ....But if you don't like how it is on the Peninsula then Stay home or find your fish elsewhere.....
                  Wishful thinking my friend......wishful thinking......
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

No... No... No... there's NO fish here. Don't bother to go past Russian River. Stay up there and fish. Yeah, cuz the nets are corking off the whole river. Not a single fish gonna get in. Heck, it's going to turn Soldotna into a lake cuz the water won't even be able to get out.

Yeah, that's the ticket. No fish. Just stay home.
                    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      Wishful thinking my friend......wishful thinking......
                      Sure is! It sure is!

I work on the slope and can live wherever I want to. In or out of Ak. I made the conscious choice to work on the slope and spent years working towards that goal before finally being more than qualified when I applied and was hired.
                      Now I have time to fish when I want to and also make a decent wage.
                      I also made a conscious decision to live in AK and in an Area of the state that has pretty good fishing. The Kenai river is about a mile from my front door.
                      I'm sorry others did not make those same decisions and cannot access the fish as easily as I can. Oh wait I am not sorry but,maybe they should be.
                      Seriously PU fishermen will harvest over 550,000 fish this year on the Peninsula! If people don't get their share it must be someone elses fault and I am sure thats what they will be on here complaining about.:upset:
                      ADF&G must manage these fisheries for whats best for the fish.
                      They cannot and should not manage the fisheries based on some guy from Anchorages work schedule or When Joe Schmoe from Fairbanks took his vacation time. Sorry guys if the reality hurts.
                      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Here ya go, at least for the gillnets:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../445923256.pdf

I wouldn't worry too much given the numbers. I've had great success with commercial nets in and out of the water.

Comment

Anybody have otf numbers they can put up?

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                            I've had great success with commercial nets in and out of the water.
                            Good God, Man! Don't tell truths like that. You're going to ruin the reputation of all the (commercial) river guides who tell anyone who can't catch a fish that it's because the nets are in the water today.
                            Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

Seems PU guys are getting a little greedy when they complain about the commercial guys getting a chance to make money during a record year where there is plenty of fish to go around. Were talking reds, not Kings here. If your upset about it then hit the copper and deal with those issues.
                              Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X