This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Seat?/ Take Me Dipping!

Since the hunting/ fishing forums have this available, I figured why not post here also. With the King Season in the toilet, there might be more action at the Copper for table fare....

Me too... Me too... Have gas money.... Free wed/thurs/fri...

Comment

I always have gas money as well!!

Comment

Now all we need are folks with boats that want to take our gas money

Comment

There's also a boat rental place that has a couple of Copper River worthy boats. If 4 or 5 guys go in it wouldn't cost too much per person.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
            There's also a boat rental place that has a couple of Copper River worthy boats. If 4 or 5 guys go in it wouldn't cost too much per person.
            This isn't my business, yet i would think real careful before just jumping into the copper River with a boat. I dipped it for years and it's a real swift, surging, eddy filled river. May i suggest ya use the charter service for one year to get a real look at the river before taking a boat out on your own..

Comment

Originally posted by lak View Post
              This isn't my business, yet i would think real careful before just jumping into the copper River with a boat. I dipped it for years and it's a real swift, surging, eddy filled river. May i suggest ya use the charter service for one year to get a real look at the river before taking a boat out on your own..
              For sure. It's definitely doable, but not recommended for novice boaters.

Comment

Why not Rent a boat and go down the kp?

Comment

KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
                  Copper (above Bridge) = 195 Reds + 5 Kings

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Bob View Post
                    KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
                    Glennallen Subdistrict
                    BAG & POSSESSION LIMITS

The total annual limits for this fishery are 30 salmon for a household of one and 60 salmon for a household of two or more, of which no more than 5 may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net. For a household of more than two, 10 salmon for each additional person may be added to the annual limit. The number of Chinook salmon (5) taken by dip net does not increase.

Upon request, permits for additional salmon
                    will be issued with the following limits:
                    1) no more than a total of 200 salmon for a permit issued to a household with one person, of which no more than five may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net;
                    2) No more than a total of 500 salmon for a permit issued to a household of two or more persons, of which no more than five may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net.
                    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...nSub08Regs.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Bob View Post
                      KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
                      25 reds- what a single man needs/can eat in a year.

195 reds+5 kings- a freezer full of wasted fish come next springtime.

Seriously I cannot possibly utilize that much fish. Do you really NEED that much?
                      Not trying to hijacked just being realistic and trying to make sense of what you would legally do with that much fish.
                      Or is it "because you can"?

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
                      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Our family of three can, and has, used our Copper PU and Kenai PU limits in a winter, which is roughly 100 fish. Plus some I catch on rod and reel. We do share quite a bit with local family and elders (wife is Native). That said, I would never keep more than 100 fish, even if my limit is 500 for our family. That's just too much for us to use or deal with, frankly. We also tend to utilize way more of the fish than your average joe, who fillets and tosses the rest.

Having said all of that, I would rather take one trip with a high limit than having to making multiple trips to multiple rivers in order to harvest what we need, so I like the idea of using the subsistence permit on the Copper. It also allows retention of more kings, which is my personal favorite. There have been some trips on the Copper where every third or fourth fish I caught was a king and where I haven't been able to keep any. It's very difficult to release a fifty pound king from a net on the cliffs without destroying your net. If they do the death roll and wrap their jaws tight you're in a real pickle.

Just because you have a high limit doesn't mean you will use it all. I wonder what the actual retention rate is for the subsistence permits. I'm sure F&G knows, but I'd bet the average isn't anywhere near the allowable limit.

Comment

I'm looking at the copper this year over the Kenai but not so I can take home 150 fish. Simply because they taste better. We eat what I kill be it fish or game and hardly ever have left overs. In fact my freezer is empty now. Lol Time for chicken until the fishing comes in.

Comment

Room for 1: Copper 6/10-13

PM me. Split boat rental and gas 3 ways.

Leave ANC Monday evening 6-ish. Return Thursday by 11am. If we stay longer, it would be back by Friday 11am.
                            Last edited by gr8fl; 06-08-2013, 12:14. Reason: corrected date and details

Comment

Spot now taken...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X