New Trucks in the Copper River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trucks in the Copper River

Just got off the phone with Sue Hem in Chitina. Two shiny trucks within the last 24 hours lost in the Copper from the sand bars below the bridge.

If you or someone you know insists on fording the braids with your truck to save yourself some work or the cost of a charter ticket, you might recalculate the cost based on the loss of your rig, everything in it, the potential loss of life, and the cost of a tow truck to recover your rig (if you can).

If you still insist that the gravel bar sweep is what you've got to do, at least have somebody tall risk their own neck to wade in front of your truck as you haply (spelling intentional) go merrily along.

Besides that, I doubt everybody downriver will be real happy with your contribution to the river.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-09-2011, 11:18. Reason: I know this sounds harsh...

What do you mean by lost?

The rigs we're parked on the gravel, the river rose and washed them away? or

Driving through deep water and hydro-locking their engines?
    -Tim

Comment

They tried to ford the braids, got in too deep, and got swept away by the current. Don't know if either of them have been recovered yet.

~tr

Comment

So are we supposed to put that on our tags as a King? Clip the tailpipe? Crazy.

Comment

Yep, bring your hack saw...

Tony, thanks for the info. I do like to sweep on that bank. I almost hydro'd my pickup one year and since took the wheeler only out there.
          -Tim

Comment

Roger that, TR. It's not you who I'm worried about...and I do apologize for the tone. I think I picked that up from the people on the scene. They see it happen every year. In fact, there was talk about installing some couches on the hill so the locals could watch it all going down.

Comment

Oh, none taken. Actually with fuel injected engines its wicked easy to do. Especially for those of us rasied with carbed engines who think they can make it. On a carb, at least the water has a chance to get atomized and mix with fuel and possibly get burned (boiled) and exhausted. FI engines: water goes straight through the ram air intake and direct in the cylinder, piston tries to squeeze it, something has to give and its usually the connecting rods. Diesels even worse because of the high compression ratio.
              -Tim

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2479972

guy driving on the Copper River near Chitina

Comment

I have learned to respect rivers in general in my boat. I’m not gonna test the floatation of my truck in any river The Copper is one I highly respect. To drive a truck in it is just plane silly and I think illegal. I remember a guy driving across O’Brian creek last year and the Chitna police/orange truck/biologists got their pannies in a wade about it.

Comment

Just got word

Both trucks have been retrieved from the river and are being towed back to Wasilla and Anchorage respectively. No one was hurt.

~tr

Comment

I think I got behind one of them as we were leaving Chitina today... looked very shiny- and broken.

Every year I come back from the Copper I'm amazed at some of the stunts I see for catching a few fish. Given what I saw going on the loss of a couple of pickups seems minor compared to what could have happened.
                      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

one is coming back to wasilla via my buddy happy hooker cha ching
                        Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
                        "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
                        Μολών λαβέ

Comment

See if you can get a picture of it and I'll highlight it on the Copper Escapement page.

~tr

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                            I think I got behind one of them as we were leaving Chitina today... looked very shiny- and broken.

Every year I come back from the Copper I'm amazed at some of the stunts I see for catching a few fish. Given what I saw going on the loss of a couple of pickups seems minor compared to what could have happened.
                            I have to agree with this. I just got back last night as well, and some of the things people do off the Haley Creek road cliffs are spectacularly stupid. I was fishing on the south side and got to watch a lot of people barely clinging to the rocks defy death with no ropes. One guy slipped on loose gravel about 30 feet up and almost shot straight off into the river. He only stopped because there happened to be one bare rock his foot got a grip on. If it wasn't there, he would've been done for.

That's just one example. Also saw someone dipping Kenai River style, out to there chest in the river....I really don't recommend this there.

Comment

I knew it wasn't if... but when. I crossed the bridge on Saturday around noon and there were 6...yes 6 trucks backed up to the main channel. To get there they had crossed three braids. Besides numb in the brain owners the trucks all had one thing in common... They were lifted. I guess maybe these two weren't lifted enough? :shot:

I wonder if insurance companies have a clause voiding their responsibilities when acts of stupidity cause a total loss?
                              Last edited by AKArcher; 06-09-2011, 23:11. Reason: poor English . :)
                              When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X