No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd run timing

Originally posted by alaskanicelander View Post
    ...looks like I am going to miss the first run, when is the second?
    thxs
    Here's the historical average for 1st and 2nd run harvests. Basically you're looking at the second run from the 1st to 3rd week in July, with the peak in the weeks 2-3 (about the same as the best time to fish the Kenai/Kasilof).

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-15-2011, 12:02. Reason: better wording

Comment

Thanks AKgramps & gr8fl...now just a little more research about being above the bridge; but the first time is the learning trip I suppose. I've spent many times having to sweep for them, but the body doesn't hurt as bad when the fish are in the net.

Comment

Problem with above the bridge is that the current is really fast on the east bank where you have access, and both banks upstream are all private property with no public access. If you can take a boat up there, even an inflatable with plenty of horsepower, that'll be the game changer.

My first dipping trip to the Copper must have been in late August in the mid 80's. I didn't know anything, and I tried sweeping above the bridge where the fish wheels are. There was only one wheel active at the time, and I as I remember I caught only two fish after wrassling that current all day. The old timer running the fish wheel felt sorry for me and gave me three fish to help out the cause.

~tr
        Last edited by gr8fl; 06-15-2011, 12:51. Reason: missing words

Comment

We have friends with a fish wheel share up by the Chitina Airport. A few years back we tried to do the above bridge subsistence permit and dip where they are at with the wheel. It was almost impossible....too much current, and frankly no good places on that little stake to dip. A boat and being able to drift through would definitely help.

Comment

Gr8fl, good point about the second run coinciding with the Kenai penn dipping. I'll be doing the latter.
            -Tim

Comment

Coppa Mo Bettuh

Therein is the decision. If you live in the Valley, it's 199 miles to Kenai and 204 miles to Chitina from Palmer. Time-wise, I think it's shorter to Chitina because of the straighter road and less traffic. Pretty tough choice, but imo the Copper reds are far superior to the Kenai.
              Last edited by gr8fl; 06-16-2011, 11:42. Reason: needed a title

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fl View Post
                Therein is the decision. If you live in the Valley, it's 199 miles to Kenai and 204 miles to Chitina from Palmer. Time-wise, I think it's shorter to Chitina because of the straighter road and less traffic. Pretty tough choice, but imo the Copper reds are far superior to the Kenai.
                I agree with the Copper reds being superior. But the bigger issue for me is I always have at least enough success on the Copper to make the trip worth it. The Kenai can be hit and miss if you don't either live there or camp on the beach for a week or two waiting for that one good tide, which can mean a totally wasted trip if you're on a timeline.

I got 20 on my first run to the Copper this year. That makes the drive worthwhile right there. Plus, if there is another supplemental, I will be justified in going back for another 20. Stop at the Klutina on the way and pick up a few more the rod and reel way and I'd be happy and the freezers full.

Comment

I wonder if he was part of the wreck sergeima mentioned. sergeima... what happened? I can't find your post.

Actually, my post was never surfaced in that thread about trail conditions.

Well, on last Friday we put a cooler into charter line to keep our options open and having some hope to get out on Saturday. Then we (me and my wife) ride our ATV along the trail to check if some spots with fairy easy access are still available - slim chance on that last crowded Friday, but still. About noon we were approaching the first landslide crossing from O'Br. side and heard sounds of what appeared to be a crash. In a couple of minutes or so we drove to the point and saw what happened. Heavily loaded 4wheeler with the driver and passenger 2-Up style fall off the cliff and was hunging on some tree 20-25 yards down the trail. Fortunately the riders (middle age couple) were OK but in a deep shock. Very steep (but still not vertical at that point) slope was littered with their stuff and fish. We saw them already on the trail, I don't know if they managed to jump off somehow or climb to the trail from the slope. Obviously we did not ask.

Their party was of two ATVs and with other guys from approaching from all sides 4wheelers we helped out to collect their stuff and fish into the coolers. Two white large 100 Qrts. marine style coolers, full of uncleaned fish and heavy like hell.

There is a boulder about a foot high on the trial hill-side on that far (from O'Br.) end of the landslide crossing in its very beginning. The boulder sloped edge naturally pushes your wheels toward the cliff-side. The cliff-side of the trail is kinda enforced with some logs (it will be too much credit to call them "logs", but for the lack of better way ...) but the trail is pretty narrow at that location and goes right on the edge. If you drive toward O'Br, this boulder can bump your ATV toward the cliff side much worse way because of the trail turn. If you drive overloaded ATV and/or drive too fast, this push can be too much, what is apparently happened.

Fortunately everyone survived and was OK apparently. Have no idea about ATV though. It can be winched up, I guess, but secure ties to the cliff would be a must. Perhaps some pulley and branch cutting would not harm as well.

As for our trip to Healy Cr. - no wonders, all our spots were taken. We got one fish for dinner and went on charter next day, Saturday, making 30+7 within 10 hours fishing with two nets. Which, I believe, is pretty good (see below about that).

Comment

Google maps says 237 miles to Chitina and 186 to Kasilof from my house. Roughly an hour of driving so not that big of a deal. I guess I havent had enough Coppers to taste the difference. I'd rather go south. My kids are young so its a better camping trip for them and they can fish too. And if I go back to Chitina this year it will be a suicide run. That road is getting bad. Pulling an RV, the frost heaves are becoming murderous.

#1 all time choice: Fish Creek. I hope that produces again this year.
                    -Tim

Comment

Careful gents...

Originally posted by TR View Post
                      ... a suicide run...becoming murderous...
                      Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                      ... a totally wasted trip...
                      Originally posted by gr8fl View Post
                      ...After fishing all day Friday and only catching 5 fish, I decided that I didn't like fishing anymore...
                      Gentlemen, we must be more careful lest our strongly negative language give fishing a bad rap.

Comment

Tony, really, you, out of context quotes? Championing spin over candor?
                        Funny stuff. Perhaps the negative words we used brought you down. What about all the reports with:

Slaughtered
                        Nailed'em
                        Slammed
                        Filled the limit (and the next one too)
                        -Tim

Comment

Filled the limit

Perhaps, fillet the limit ...

Comment

Originally posted by sergeima View Post
                            I wonder if he was part of the wreck sergeima mentioned. sergeima... what happened? I can't find your post.

Actually, my post was never surfaced in that thread about trail conditions.

Well, on last Friday we put a cooler into charter line to keep our options open and having some hope to get out on Saturday. Then we (me and my wife) ride our ATV along the trail to check if some spots with fairy easy access are still available - slim chance on that last crowded Friday, but still. About noon we were approaching the first landslide crossing from O'Br. side and heard sounds of what appeared to be a crash. In a couple of minutes or so we drove to the point and saw what happened. Heavily loaded 4wheeler with the driver and passenger 2-Up style fall off the cliff and was hunging on some tree 20-25 yards down the trail. Fortunately the riders (middle age couple) were OK but in a deep shock. Very steep (but still not vertical at that point) slope was littered with their stuff and fish. We saw them already on the trail, I don't know if they managed to jump off somehow or climb to the trail from the slope. Obviously we did not ask.

Their party was of two ATVs and with other guys from approaching from all sides 4wheelers we helped out to collect their stuff and fish into the coolers. Two white large 100 Qrts. marine style coolers, full of uncleaned fish and heavy like hell.

There is a boulder about a foot high on the trial hill-side on that far (from O'Br.) end of the landslide crossing in its very beginning. The boulder sloped edge naturally pushes your wheels toward the cliff-side. The cliff-side of the trail is kinda enforced with some logs (it will be too much credit to call them "logs", but for the lack of better way ...) but the trail is pretty narrow at that location and goes right on the edge. If you drive toward O'Br, this boulder can bump your ATV toward the cliff side much worse way because of the trail turn. If you drive overloaded ATV and/or drive too fast, this push can be too much, what is apparently happened.

Fortunately everyone survived and was OK apparently. Have no idea about ATV though. It can be winched up, I guess, but secure ties to the cliff would be a must. Perhaps some pulley and branch cutting would not harm as well.

As for our trip to Healy Cr. - no wonders, all our spots were taken. We got one fish for dinner and went on charter next day, Saturday, making 30+7 within 10 hours fishing with two nets. Which, I believe, is pretty good (see below about that).
                            Thanks for the update. Glad to hear no one got hurt. I'm sure I saw you there. You were parked about two rigs down from my white and silver Chevy van. I remember seeing you take off on a quad friday and then saw you get off the charter. Good to hear you got fish.
                            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Comment

Fishing was slow all weekend, but Saturday was sunny and we had a good time.

I heard that fishing picked up a little in the very early morning on Sunday, but by the time we got out around 8 it had slowed back down.
                              "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

Slow for us also, between 3 of us only 25 reds 4 kings. Its sucked having to let the big boy go.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X