Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Copper River: #'s, timing, trip dates, group planning, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Copper River: #'s, timing, trip dates, group planning, etc.

I figured I'd start a separate link dedicated to everything about planning trips, meeting people, trying to time the sonar numbers with fishable dates, etc.

Yesterday's sonar count was a hefty 24,000 fish, which is a great number, especially if it's connected with several more high-number days. There could be good fishing on the opener. I still have no set plan for a trip, and haven't even started watching the water levels yet, but we might get out the second week of June if the numbers look good enough and try to beat F&G to closing it to kings.

Anyone have a definite trip date planned yet?

Won't be dipping , but scored the use of a couple Fish wheels for 8th-10th June, and hoping the water level will be at the perfect level so the fish will show in exactly 2 weeks in good numbers

Comment

Direct link to numbers

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/analytics...&page=page%201

~tr

Comment

Going to head down on the afternoon of the 10th for a day or two. Really hoping to keep a king or two this year. Should be me, my neighbor and my dad and we'll have the camo Predator towed behind either a red or tan F150.

Comment

5/25 36K cumulative 82K
          5/26 0600 count 10.8K resulting in over 40K? Cumulative 122K would be rapidly approaching 50K over expected return.

Kinda suspect a supplemental opening after the weekend...

~tr

Comment

Five Year Dipnet Harvest Timing Averages

The average dipnet harvest by date:

~tr
            Last edited by gr8fl; 05-26-2011, 11:12. Reason: inaccurate wording

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fl View Post
              5/25 36K cumulative 82K
              5/26 0600 count 10.8K resulting in over 40K? Cumulative 122K would be rapidly approaching 50K over expected return.

Kinda suspect a supplemental opening after the weekend...

~tr
              Tony,

Where are you getting these numbers? Everything I'm looking at only has previous years counts, not 2011....

Comment

ADFG revamped their entire site, and replaced the escapement #'s page with a real fancy sortable deal.

The entire page is here.

Just the spreadsheet is here, which tends to refresh a bit faster.

~tr

Comment

Well "coho slayer" I think your doing same thing I did, looking at "fish counts" which would only show past years. You will need to go by "information by area" then choose copper river. Or look at link posted. I know it's a little confusing this year compared to last years.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...mon_escapement

Comment

You beat me gr8fl LOL.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've updated my links. I would've figured it out eventually but figured I'd save time by asking.

Those numbers in the last couple of days are looking really good. We may do a second-opener run. The numbers for a supplemental look promising, although they never seem to issue them that early in the season.

Comment

To all of you that have been dipping the Copper over the years, based on current water levels 40.46 , whats your best estimate for those 36k fish to hit Chitina?

Comment

Different Theories

Pick your method:

• Scientific
                            :
                            which I saw in a study.
                          • Schedule: WutWerks4U
                          • Hit or miss: Shoulda Been Here Yesterday
                          • OR the 7, 10, 14, 21, or 24 day theory, all which work at different times.

In general, the early fish transit fairly quickly due to lower water levels. Check the historical water level charts on my page for comparison at all four sites.

I'm suspecting that current slug of fish to arrive before the opening weekend. It remains to be seen how long the high numbers persist, as sometimes it's a number of days and other times it drops off rapidly. In the past, I've waited 10 days from a peak in the early run and gotten there too late.

I'll be operating the Predictive Fishometer on a trial basis this year, so if I mess up, I will cheerfully refund your donation.

~tr

Comment

Second Weekend of June,I will be there friday night through monday morning.
                            There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Right now I'm thinking we might try June 7 or 8, but I always leave the option of backing out for river levels/weather/fish numbers.

It's a finely-tuned balance of careful planning and last-minute decision making....lol.

I also think the current big slug of fish will beat the opener to Chitina. BUT...if the numbers persist for several more days I think there's a good chance the timing will be perfect.
                              Last edited by coho slayer; 05-27-2011, 02:42. Reason: Adding info and I just like the power

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X