Aluminum Boat Cleaners??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Boat Cleaners??

Need some advice on a good strong cleaner that will not harm the outboard or fabrics on the boat. Has anyone used acid etch? Or any type of acid cleaners?
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

I've use acid etch to clean aluminum before welding, it's a strong acid it will eat everything.

Comment

I have used Zep-A-lume on my un painted driftboat and it worked good. I know it is an acid based cleaner.
      I bought mine from Silvertip in Kasilof bur you shouldn't have trouble finding it in Anchorage somewhere.
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I used NAPA Aluminum Brightener before polishing my boat. It works in 30 seconds. It did not harm the decals on the side of the boat and in 30 seconds I can't see it doing any damage.
        "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
          I used NAPA Aluminum Brightener before polishing my boat. It works in 30 seconds. It did not harm the decals on the side of the boat and in 30 seconds I can't see it doing any damage.
          I have used that stuff as well and gotten good results. I think that it does such a good job that you have to be very thorough when you put it on, probably reapplying it to some areas. After seeing your boat after a first application and noticing what the 'misses' look like you will recognize many boats on the water that use that.
          If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

After I used the Aluminum Bright I followed with some Mothers Aluminum Polish. The brightener dissolves all the oxidation making it really fast to polish it up. Made my 14 year old boat look like new in about 4 hours. I tried the polish without the brightener and the difference was night and day in how long it takes.
            "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

I just finished using Zep-a-lume on my boat last week and it worked amazing. It took 32 years of oxidation and salt deposits off in a matter of minutes. The best thing about it is it did not leave my boat too shiny. PM me, Rusty Monkey, if you need some that I have left over.

Comment

Good god people, lol! For years I been listening to the advantage of buying a metal boat was the lack of maintence and upkeep. Now you guys go and blow it by actually cleaning, polishing, etc.
                Ya almost had me convinced aluminum was better

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan B View Post
                  I just finished using Zep-a-lume on my boat last week and it worked amazing. It took 32 years of oxidation and salt deposits off in a matter of minutes. The best thing about it is it did not leave my boat too shiny. PM me, Rusty Monkey, if you need some that I have left over.
                  How bout some before and after pictures.
                  sigpic
                  07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
                  115 Yamaha
                  Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
                  Airmar TM 260-MM

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
                    How bout some before and after pictures.
                    Here you go SkinnyRaven
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	4904.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2479698Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-07 15.20.29.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2479699

Snowwolfe-
                    There are benefits to both...just doing a little upkeep on the aluminum :topjob:

Comment

Is it already that time of year that your elbo screams mercy as you polish the boat? This is the only time of year I wish my boat was an 8 footer and not 21'. I have used Flitz in the past and it takes a good day of rubbing. You do have to stand back and catch your misses.
                      Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabliss View Post
                        Is it already that time of year that your elbo screams mercy as you polish the boat? This is the only time of year I wish my boat was an 8 footer and not 21'. I have used Flitz in the past and it takes a good day of rubbing. You do have to stand back and catch your misses.
                        I did two applications, which took care of the misses. With the product I used, you simply spray it on, wait 15 seconds, and rinse it off. The whole boat did not take more than 10 minutes, and elbow grease was not used. Granted I was not going for a mirror shine, just wanted to give it a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan B View Post
                          Here you go SkinnyRaven
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49174[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49175[/ATTACH]

Snowwolfe-
                          There are benefits to both...just doing a little upkeep on the aluminum :topjob:
                          Excellent, is this available locally?
                          sigpic
                          07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
                          115 Yamaha
                          Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
                          Airmar TM 260-MM

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
                            Excellent, is this available locally?
                            I found it at Valley Diesel and Marine through word of mouth, didnít spend much effort trying to track it down in Anch since I was already headed out there.

Comment

Not sure how this would work on a boat or trailer. I know there are different grades of aluminum, although i'm sure this buffing compound could work in the right application. Many snowmachiners use this stuff to buff their tunnels to a mirror shine, no exaggeration on mirror. It's pretty unbelievable. Here are some pics..
                              http://www.swmetal.com/cart/search?c...lishing%20Kits

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X