aluminum welding skiffs--costs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum welding skiffs--costs???

I have a 16 ft magnum and had a welder do some work on it . He beefed up the transom and rewelded/strengtthened the center console. he said he had 16 hours into it so the total bill came out to 2400. I was a little shocked but just paid it. Is that the going rate for welders--he was 105/hr?? I was a little surprised. I could post a pic and a show the work that was done. It just seemed a lot for a little. Anyone have any experience with welders.???

quote=rosscoak;445673]I have a 16 ft magnum and had a welder do some work on it . He beefed up the transom and rewelded/strengtthened the center console. he said he had 16 hours into it so the total bill came out to 2400. I was a little shocked but just paid it. Is that the going rate for welders--he was 105/hr?? I was a little surprised. I could post a pic and a show the work that was done. It just seemed a lot for a little. Anyone have any experience with welders.???[/quote]

I just had an aluminum welder weld some new sleeves onto my Y pipes for my Volvo outdrive and he charged $110/hr but I asked up front what his rate was. So either we both got screwed or I got screwed MORE than you . BTW my guy was a perfectionist and I was plenty happy.

Comment

$100-$110 doesn't sound bad for aluminum work even in the lower 48. General steel fab is usually $80 an hour or more. Ever try welding aluminum? It's a lot harder to weld and less forgiving than steel.

Comment

Did you get an estimate? I'm not sure I would ever have a shop work on my equipment without some kind of estimate in advance. And $2400 seems like a lot to have to fork out if I wasn't expecting it.

Anyway, $100+ per hour for quality aluminum welding is probably about right. But 16 hours? Seems like a lot of time. Did you have the whole thing rebuilt or what?
        Originally posted by northwestalska
        ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Comment

Sound good to me. And I have done more than 99.9%

Sounds like some fitting of metal and aluminum welding. If the work looks professional and holds up then it sounds like a normal project cost.
          Just go to me web site to see the boat project I have been doing since 2005.
          Good fitting and aluminum welding is worth a lot.
          Your ideals became custom work. Custom work is always costly.
          Enjoy using your ideals of changing your boat.
          Make the most of every situation you find your self in.

Comment

My shop rate for aluminum is 75 an hour, I always give a quote and my customers are ALWAYS happy with their completed work.
            Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
            "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
            Μολών λαβέ

Comment

Greatland in the valley charges $85/hr.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X