Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hewes craft boat paint color gray

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hewes craft boat paint color gray

    I知 looking for the gray paint Hewes craft uses on the boats inside and outside the boat. Seem unable to find it. Or if someone has come up with a solution mix to match it. I知 all ears. <br/>Also what prep work did you all do to repaint? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  • #2
    Are you going to use it in the ocean? First question. I power wash mine then take a Scotch Brite pad, cut in half, on a sheetrock sanding pad on a 4' stick. I then scrub the bottom as much as I can with that. Then rinse and let dry. I used to have four, removable bunk rails and I'd drop one on each side, bracing each side first between the trailer frame and the boat with blocking. I buy my bottom paint from West Marine. But I do believe that if they don't have any, you might not find it anywhere. I was just in Anchorage and shopping for certain items is problematic. Even ordering online, it is had to find some items.

    Just reread your post, you might not be talking bottom paint.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post
      I知 looking for the gray paint Hewes craft uses on the boats inside and outside the boat. Seem unable to find it. Or if someone has come up with a solution mix to match it. I知 all ears. <br/>Also what prep work did you all do to repaint? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It is zolatone covered in a clear coat. The early models of the Alaskan series did not have the clear coat and the zolatone would fleck off constantly. There are lots of youtube tutorials on prepping aluminum for paint. It sure looks like a lot of work for something that will eventually fail anyways. The only painted aluminum boats that I have been on that don't seem to have problems are the coastal crafts. They are in a class of their own and the paint prep time is crazy. I think I was told that the time put into the paint prep and painting was nearly as much as building the rest of the boat. That is insane, but it shows in the product.
      sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post
        I知 looking for the gray paint Hewes craft uses on the boats inside and outside the boat. Seem unable to find it. Or if someone has come up with a solution mix to match it. I知 all ears. <br/>Also what prep work did you all do to repaint? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Get your hull id # & call Hewescraft to ask for the paint id or color code. Then you can take the paint id to a paint shop & have them match it or buy it if they sell Zolatone. That stuff comes out in clumps when you spray it, I gave up after my airless sprayer plugged up so I tried to brush + roll it on but it looked like a blind guy did it. The next I needed something painted on my boat, I took it to a body shop.....................

        2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
        Twin 175 Suzuki's
        "Thunderbird"
        MMSI #338033856

        Comment


        • #5
          I got the paint code for the boat. Gray with white and black flakes.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
            <br/><br/>It is zolatone covered in a clear coat. The early models of the Alaskan series did not have the clear coat and the zolatone would fleck off constantly. There are lots of youtube tutorials on prepping aluminum for paint. It sure looks like a lot of work for something that will eventually fail anyways. The only painted aluminum boats that I have been on that don't seem to have problems are the coastal crafts. They are in a class of their own and the paint prep time is crazy. I think I was told that the time put into the paint prep and painting was nearly as much as building the rest of the boat. That is insane, but it shows in the product.
            <br/><br/>I致e done Jon boats before and it was allot of work. Prep work to get the aluminum ready and then paint.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Living the Alaskan Dream
            Gary Keller
            Anchorage, AK

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post
              I got the paint code for the boat. Gray with white and black flakes.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              You can try calling Hi Tech Professional Paint on 63rd & Lake Otis to see if they have any paint with that code.

              2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
              Twin 175 Suzuki's
              "Thunderbird"
              MMSI #338033856

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by akdeweyj View Post

                You can try calling Hi Tech Professional Paint on 63rd & Lake Otis to see if they have any paint with that code.
                My friend gave me the paperwork with the code and all the 5 pages with directions. complicated to say the least.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post

                  My friend gave me the paperwork with the code and all the 5 pages with directions. complicated to say the least.

                  FYI ................................ Spruce Park Auto Body on Dowling does real good work with Zolatone......................... When you get to that point & start wondering why the **** you tried doing it yourself.
                  2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
                  Twin 175 Suzuki's
                  "Thunderbird"
                  MMSI #338033856

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by akdeweyj View Post


                    FYI ................................ Spruce Park Auto Body on Dowling does real good work with Zolatone......................... When you get to that point & start wondering why the **** you tried doing it yourself.
                    ACE Auto body is even better @akdeweyj

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by akdeweyj View Post


                      FYI ................................ Spruce Park Auto Body on Dowling does real good work with Zolatone......................... When you get to that point & start wondering why the **** you tried doing it yourself.
                      That's the winning post of the day!!!!!! I am sure that would be expensive though.

                      Living the Alaskan Dream
                      Gary Keller
                      Anchorage, AK

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post

                        That's the winning post of the day!!!!!! I am sure that would be expensive though.
                        About $1200 to paint the new extended transom & blend it into the back end of the boat, gunnels, etc when I had the splash well filled in with a full width + height extended transom added on to my 22ft SeaRunner awhile back. The bonus was that I gained a huge fish box on the back end of the boat.
                        2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
                        Twin 175 Suzuki's
                        "Thunderbird"
                        MMSI #338033856

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hewes hasn't used Zolatone on it's boats for quite awhile. There is excellent information on Hewes paint and application on the Hewes Owners Forum. To do it the way Hewes does it you need specialized equipment. It is a difficult process. With the right grey Zolatone and small cans of black and white and a tooth brush to flick the black and white onto the grey you can get close but it won't last as long or be as durable.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by yanert View Post
                            Hewes hasn't used Zolatone on it's boats for quite awhile. There is excellent information on Hewes paint and application on the Hewes Owners Forum. To do it the way Hewes does it you need specialized equipment. It is a difficult process. With the right grey Zolatone and small cans of black and white and a tooth brush to flick the black and white onto the grey you can get close but it won't last as long or be as durable.

                            Thanks. I am trying to give her a fresh look. 2006 boat, so over time with bings and scraps. Paint has warned off.

                            Living the Alaskan Dream
                            Gary Keller
                            Anchorage, AK

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hewes gave me a small jar of touch up paint [grey] and a friend showed me how to flick the black and white with a tooth brush. I've had an auto paint supplier mix spray cans of grey auto boty paint to match the factory paint. Don't forget to prime any large patches.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X