Boat Lights for Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Lights for Rivers

Looking at putting some lights on my jet boat for running some narrow rivers (30-50 feet wide) in the dark. Does anyone have a suggestion on what lights have worked the best?
    Thanks

I think LED light bars on the nose of the boat would work best.
    I would run something like a 20" bar straight across the front and a pair of 12" bars (one on either side) at an angle off to the sides.
    The front bar illuminates to the front while the angled bars shine off to the sides and illuminate the shore.
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

That is what I was thinking as well. Thank you,

Comment

Don't blind other boaters. You might end up with a collision.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          Don't blind other boaters. You might end up with a collision.
          Good suggestion

But how is that even possible unless he turn off all lights pointing at the other boat?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

Good suggestion

But how is that even possible unless he turn off all lights pointing at the other boat?

Light bars on vehicles blind oncoming drivers. Better have your finger on the switch.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I don't have lights on my boat, however my friend has some on his. We have only used them a few times and every time was a white knuckle experience. The lights often reflect off the bow and any gear that is up there, so pay particular attention to the placement. And the reflection on the water surface makes it really hard to read the channel so make sure you have a good GPS track to follow. Adjust the GPS backlight down so that the glare from the screen doesn't distract you from whats outside. Rocks and logs low on the water surface look different and are very hard to make out under artificial bright lighting. Especially bright artificial light at an extreme angle to what your brain is used to seeing. Forget seeing anything under the surface, the light reflects off the surface of the river and all you see is glare. If there is a can opener just under the water you better be prepared to hit it.

I would highly advise that you do not run a tight turning skinny river at night. The only place I would risk it is on a nice wide river with lots of room.

Comment

KantishnaCabin: Good information thank you lots to consider.

Comment

If you plan to plan to run narrow streams at night be sure to include a 4 point harness restraint for everyone on board because sooner or later you will be out of the water and up on the bank.

Comment

You could always run wearing a set of night vision goggles.
                    sigpic
                    www.arcticangler.ca
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X