Fixing a leak on Kodiak Jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a leak on Kodiak Jet

Question! I've had a nuisance leak in my Wooldridge for awhile, if you sit soaking in the water all I'll get quite a bit of water in the bilge. I filled it with water and found that these tie bolts are leaking water. I found out that I need to remove them, clean and reseal with RTV to stop the leaks. Anybody willing to share technique of getting this done? Appreciate it!

What are you calling tie bolts ? What are the bolts fasting together?

Comment

The picture didn't come through.

Comment

Comment

Sorry about the crappy photo. It's those long stainless bolts, six of them.

Comment

Here’s a better pic. The long ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think that those bolts go all the way through . It should be a rod threaded on both ends . The bolts on the base area are through bolts that go through the hull and the outside of the jet unit . I don't remember is there is a gasket or just a silicone seal. One area that has a tendency to leak is the shift rods at the top of the picture .

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bend View Post
                I don't think that those bolts go all the way through . It should be a rod threaded on both ends . The bolts on the base area are through bolts that go through the hull and the outside of the jet unit . I don't remember is there is a gasket or just a silicone seal. One area that has a tendency to leak is the shift rods at the top of the picture .
                The water is coming out of the bolt holes where those bolts go into the housing shown.

Comment

Time to pull jet unit apart and get a look at what is going on behind the first stator housing .If you want to chat about it PM with a number .I have ran one of these for about 40 years.

Comment

I agree with big bend, those long bolts should no leak. Time to take it apart to inspect

Comment

So, If I understand your methodology correctly, you put your transom plug in and then put water in your bilge to see where it was leaking? Did the water line cover the thrust bearing?

But as big bend said those long bolts don't go through the hull. The only path there would be through the stator housing, and the only path into the stator housing is the thrust bearing seal I think. But like others have said it's time to pull it apart. Good time to check your impellers, sleeves and the cutlass bearings anyways. It's a pretty easy job to do in the driveway, nothing really complicated. Could be a simple as a stator housing O-ring, but that wouldn't leak into the hull without a bad thrust bearing seal.

Comment

Thanks Gents!

I'm going to dig into it soon and see what I can do to fix the problem. I will certainly report back with what I find.

Comment

KantishnaCabn, Most likely if the thrust bearing seal was bad the water would leak out the intake not out through the back end.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X