sportjet stator repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sportjet stator repair

Ok, my stator has seen better days, the veins are worn well past the magic 1/4" mark, not to mention a few of them have large chuncks broken out of them. I figure I could send it in and get a SS insert or take it somewhere to get welded up or I could weld it up myself and see what happens.
    Ran a few beads on three of the veins only to keep the heat down, then ground down to specs with die grinder, (have not sanded or polished yet) looks like it will work to me but my question is:
    Has anyone one done this and what were the results. Any tips?

Thanks
    Mike

I would think that you would want to make sure that you have all veins exactly the same or it could effect performance .

Comment

Thanks, I am building them up pretty heavy then grinding them down to match original profile, so far I have one side (top) done and need to finish grinding the other side. Of course the inside is the hardest to match the profile, and making sure they don't extend past the mating surface for the liner I think will be the tricky part. They were worn down a lot farther than I originally thought once I got to working on them.
      I will post some pics sometime this weekend.
      Mike

Comment

Here is the outside after build up and grinding, no polishing yet, pretty easy to see how far down it was worn. If this don't work, it will be off to Exwelding for a SS insert.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2493183
        Attached Files

Comment

One more of the outside and one of the inside before grinding and shaping.
          A lot of grinding and shaping yet, but I got all winter.
          Attached Files

Comment

The hub part on picture no#2 sure looks like it is very rough, if that is the case you should buff down the inside of the stator and smooth up all of the internal surface as it will improve the performance .

Comment

Thanks, the entire inside is very rough, but I think most of that is splatter from the welding. I plan on smoothing and polishing the entire inside, just have not figured out how yet. haha
              I did look at some buffing puff ball things that I think would fit down through there once I get it sanded smooth.
              I sure appreciate the extra eyes!
              Mike

Comment

Check these out HCL, I use them for porting intakes or heads. Amazon has them for free shipping and I think you can get them at fastenall also. They work great in the die grinder and then a dremel for the finer polishing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sa...p30aAsfP8P8HAQ

Comment

f0zzy2---Thank you, that might be just the ticket!

Comment

Did a little more work, it is coming along. Inside is not as bad to shape as I thought it would be, just slow going.
                    Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion weld repairs are not the answer if your passing a lot of gravel through stator vains. A SS vain insert installed into a stator that has damaged vains will be way more durable then soft aluminum filler alloy.

Claude:
                      Damaged stator:
                      SS insert:

Comment

Claude, if my repairs dont work out, i will dang sure be calling you to get a SS insert put in!

Comment

How do keep the SS liner from twisting or moving inside the Stator?

Originally posted by Exactboats View Post
                          In my opinion weld repairs are not the answer if your passing a lot of gravel through stator vains. A SS vain insert installed into a stator that has damaged vains will be way more durable then soft aluminum filler alloy.

Claude:
                          Damaged stator:
                          SS insert:

Comment

The ss insert vains have a small shoulder that overlap and rest against the aluminum vains. Retaining loctite and 3 small button head socket cap screws tapped through the housing and insert retain in place.

Claude:

Comment

Well, had planned on putting the boat back together Sat morning so Friday night I finished the grinding and absolutly forgot to take and pictures before i put the pump back together Sat morning..
                              So I will let yall know how the repair holds, i will take the pump apart mid season and take a look and post some pictures of the amount of wear. I suspect it will be more wear than normal but time will tell.
                              I still see a SS insert in my future.
                              Mike

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X