New battery- suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery- suggestions

I am sure this issue has been pounded prior but need some sound advice for a new battery. My blue top optima 34 battery went dead after 7 years and now looking for a replacement. I have two batteries and the other is an optima as well. I use the battery for starting and running accessories. Should I stay with the optima or look into another brand? Price is an issue as I don't want to spend more than the replacement cost of a new optima. Any suggestions?

costco deep cycle/marine batteries did me good for all the years i had my bowpicker, lived out on the sound for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and they never let me down.
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Comment

Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?

Comment

If I had a marine battery to last me 7 years it would be a easy choice as to what I would replace it with.

Comment

Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.

Comment

There is not a lot of information to make a good recommendation such as, battery drain, type of engine, how you are charging the batteries, etc. It also not recommended to mix new and old batteries or difference types, if you are charging them in parallel. So if your not charging them in parallel
            any marine 34 batteries should be ok. That said the blue top optima batteries are working and if you do have any problems in the future you would wish you had stay with them.

Unless money is a major problem I would stay with the optima batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
              Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.
              I don't know if this is going to help or not, I would put money on it that they are made by the same company that make batteries for, Sears, Cosco, Sam's, Wallmart, Etc. The reason for the mix reviews are because of the users not the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by mwidaman View Post
                Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?
                started the volvo diesel i had never a problem.
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                907 775 1692

Comment

If you change out one battery...then change them both!

Comment

Any updated advice on battery replacements? I bought an older boat that has the capacity to run 4 batteries. Should I have dedicated starting batteries and dedicated accessory/deep cycle batteries? Deep Cycle batteries only? It is an old Glasply boat with twin 4 cylinders...I doubt it needs a lot of CCA.

Comment

In my opinion it has as much or more to do with how you maintain your batteries than what type they are most the time.

My boat came with Interstate lead acid batteries and two banks with a 1-both-2-off switch, I added to that. they lasted 7-10 years depending on the bank. I had 3 banks plus some other devices 2 years ago. I had two banks of Interstate's on the river boat, one lasted 17 years, the other about 9. I just switched them all to AGM's last year. I put two more individual AGM batteries on separate chargers for things like the bow thruster.

Pay attention to your state of charge and use the "newer" type smart chargers, even in the winter. I have an onboard generator and an inverter/charger and I'll use them if I need to. Make sure the out put of the charger matches the size of your battery. Make sure the charger is set to the type of battery you have. I also use VSR's on the twin engine start batteries, they switch to charge other batteries after the start batteries are topped off. Don't forget solar panels.

These are just some simple things and steps you can do to keep batteries working, at least they work for me. The number of battery banks grew with my boat and the addition of things to the boat.

Comment

7 years is excellent performance...replace the same. If you go new replace with AGM type batteries.
                        sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...ight=batteries

Here is another thread on the issue. Hope it helps.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

It's hard to make useful/meaningful comparisons based on anecdotal statements because there are so many variables involved, but I would be really upset if I got only 7 years service out of a battery.
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Be careful to not mix battery types (wet cell vs AGM) as there will likely be a disparity in charge and rate of charge resulting in issues down the road.... I just put new Optima Yellow tops in mine--painful, but great service!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X