Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhino Lining above the water line on aluminum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rhino Lining above the water line on aluminum

    My boat is all aluminum with no paint at this time. I would like to use a rhino lining of sorts on the boat instead of paint. Ive seen it on boats but is this something you can prep and do your self or should it be handled by a "proffesional".

  • #2
    Anything you do to aluminum can lead to corrosion. Paint can trap moisture under edges and will lead to bad corrosion. I have used ( Speed Liner) on aluminum, wood and glass boats with good results for nonskid decks and to seal fish holds. Post your contact info and I will contact you if you want more info. Just to let you know Speed Liner can be made any color!

    Comment


    • #3
      This is the boat I would like to do this on.Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2479526

      Comment


      • #4
        I would do nothing...
        no added weight...no added maintenance.
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

        Comment


        • #5
          When we bought the boat the sides are all scratched and dinged like someone tied it to a dock up tight agaist a steel pole Id just like to make it look a little better. The scratchs are deep enough that They would have to be ground out but Im not sure what that would make the rest of the boat look like..But I do see your point less weight less maintance.

          Comment


          • #6
            For cosmetics, I would simply sand and buff the sharp points, so they don't present a hazard. Use alodine in crevices, nooks and crannies for corrosion control and naval gel for making the rest of the boat purty.
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

            Comment


            • #7
              MGH55:

              Make a good point putting anything over aluminum and that include aluminum if not done correctly can corrode the aluminum and S.S.. I donít have a lot of experience in the area. What I do know is the area needs to seal from air and water getting between the metal and what every you use make sure its neutral (not acid base) this may include some rubber products. One area everybody needs to check is where fuel tanks are touching.

              Yes, Aluminum and S.S. is corrosion resistance, this is true IF a oxide can form over the metal protecting it not you need to protect it from air and water.

              Comment


              • #8
                The only time to paint a boat that looks that good is if you are going to dock it in salt water for the summer and then only the bottom and to do it right will run around $100.00 PER FT. Tape off and cover, sand blast, prime with two voats 235 then three coats E-paint SN1.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I say hire a couple college girls in bikinis with buffers..... it might take a while.
                  I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                  Bill Hicks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dirtofak View Post
                    I say hire a couple college girls in bikinis with buffers..... it might take a while.
                    I agree how bout these Lake Louise girls...Click image for larger version

Name:	Ugly.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2479542

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by akdube View Post
                      I agree how bout these Lake Louise girls...[ATTACH=CONFIG]48761[/ATTACH]
                      That that has been seen...Can't be Un-seen!!! Excuse me...I gotta go wash my eyes out with bleach!
                      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I looked into Rhino lining for the bow deck, floor and sides on my 22' SeaArk. Only had to talk to the guy for a couple of minutes, BIG BUCKS!!!!!! He went into detail about aluminum and what they have to do to prep it, strip it, etch it, prime it, coat it. Thousands of dollars. That pretty much did it for me. Some alternatives...

                        https://www.nonskidpaint.com/index.php

                        http://www.interstateproducts.com/nonslipproducts.htm

                        and I love Lake Louise Girls!
                        When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
                        Blood Sport
                        32' Custom Wooldridge
                        MMSI #: 338181573

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          took the aluminum panels off my deck and had them rino lined, they got real heavy and didnt last long, they peeled off in heavy slabs. Now my deck is buffed? and then non skid strips used.
                          Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                          www.kodiakcombos.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey Thanks guys I was really pushing to do this UNTIL I got these responses. I think I'll pass on the rhino lining now. Enjoy the ladies guys...There all yours....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by akdube View Post
                              Hey Thanks guys I was really pushing to do this UNTIL I got these responses. I think I'll pass on the rhino lining now. Enjoy the ladies guys...There all yours....
                              Sure...like a Gas Station, just pull in and ask for directions, dump your trash and leave...
                              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X