No announcement yet.

Where's the alaska surfing forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitesurfing - that's pretty cool. Thanks!

Originally posted by JEH97LX View Post
    As an alternative, you might give kite surfing a whirl! It's a bit more popular from what I've seen in Turnagain arm and you can try your hand at snow kiting this time of year :cool: There's also a good following in Homer if you're in those parts (Homer spit I believe?).

A couple links:

http://kitingalaska.com/home

And for formal instruction, always a good idea if you're just learning, though I can't vouch for'em:
    http://alaskakiteadventures.com

There are a few other sites out there, some defunct, others just a small section in a forum. Personally, I dabble on the snow side, and I haven't been out much since I came up from Colorado
    No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Kodiak. Saw some guys headed down there last year with boards. Dunno where they were going, but somewhere on Kodiak...

-Mike
      Michael Strahan
      Site Owner
      Alaska Hunt Consultant
      1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
        Kodiak. Saw some guys headed down there last year with boards. Dunno where they were going, but somewhere on Kodiak...

-Mike
        Years ago a friend talked about surfing at Pasagshak....

Comment

FYI.. Tim Johnsons kayak book gives instructions on catching the Cook Inlet bore tide.
          -JR
          Last edited by Michael Strahan; 01-16-2012, 12:55. Reason: added link

Comment

Sitka too. Cold Salt Surf Shop was there a few years ago.
            My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by scott_rn View Post
              Sitka too. Cold Salt Surf Shop was there a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure Kevin shut down his surf shop. Some very good surfing near Sitka. That's where I learned.
              Alaska Wide Open Charters
              www.alaskawideopen.com
              907-965-0130

Comment

Didn't know you could surf J.S.

Here are some pix I took on Saturday at Lena Cove in Juneau.

Comment

Nice pix. Looks kinda breezy. Any idea of the wind speed/direction? Did you paddle out or were you just taking pix? Thanks for posting.

Originally posted by L. G. View Post
                  Didn't know you could surf J.S.

Here are some pix I took on Saturday at Lena Cove in Juneau.

Comment

I was just taking pix. I'm a skier in the winter (and not crazy enuff to do the liquid water thing)

She was a full gale from the North. Sustained 35 mph winds, gust to 45 easy. A lot windier beyond the point on the right.

Comment

I thought 1st that was a joke but people really are surfing on that pictures...amazing..isn't that cold for them?

Comment

We go to Yak by ferry most every summer for the last 14 years ... always find some waves. Many different breaks, Not too cold with a good wet suit and few people. My daughter and I just returned from Nicaragua ... nicely shaped waves but always people. Additionally there is great kite boarding in Haines at the river mouth ...My son, not me, does that. There can be wind chop waves in Haines that can carry a board but short little ride and much colder than Yak.
                        Julia

Comment

This is an awesome thread! I just moved back here last year from Hawaii and I've been suffering from wave withdrawals. I've definitely seen waves in Homer that were ride able. One thing I thought about was standing waves in the rivers. There are a lot of fast moving creeks and rivers here so there must be some standing waves around. I think that could be a blast too. In case you don't know what a standing wave is, here is a video.

Vince

Comment

I'm always on the lookout for standing waves. I spent years on Oahu surfing (surfers and sinners welcome) and always looking to get back on the water with a board.

I've been thinking long and hard about windsurfing. I haven't ever seen anyone wind surf here? Not the same thing, but perhaps even more suitable for it. Too bad dry suits are so expensive, or I think we'd see a great many more people on the water in most respects.

I still haven't found a good wave around here. Wish I still had my old Ben Aipa, or my Dennis Pang.
                            Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Comment

Iím not sure if he is still doing it but Scott Liska was running a boat out of seward. He would take people out to Montague. He had full gear and boards. Iíve gone out with him a few times and found good waves every time. It use to be called Alaska Surf Safaris.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X