No announcement yet.

Halibut Landing Techniques from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big of a bouy do I need? I bought a harpoon @ B&J's, w/ 20' of floating line. Can I use a boat fender/bumper like this:
    I think it's about 6"x24"

Comment

Originally posted by AndySinAK View Post
      How big of a bouy do I need? I bought a harpoon @ B&J's, w/ 20' of floating line. Can I use a boat fender/bumper like this:
      I think it's about 6"x24"
      I'm not sure what the flotation pounds is of that. A0 buoy is a tad small but works. A1 is probably ideal. A2 buoy caused huge gashes in a 65 pound fish when it took the buoy down for 30 to 40 seconds so too much flotation. Here's a chart of the flotation: http://blueoceantackle.com/commercia...form-a-series/

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
        I'm not sure what the flotation pounds is of that. A0 buoy is a tad small but works. A1 is probably ideal. A2 buoy caused huge gashes in a 65 pound fish when it took the buoy down for 30 to 40 seconds so too much flotation. Here's a chart of the flotation: http://blueoceantackle.com/commercia...form-a-series/
        So it looks like the AO is 13lbs floatation, A1 = 29lbs. My fender is rated 18lbs. So, I'm in the range anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AndySinAK View Post
          So it looks like the AO is 13lbs floatation, A1 = 29lbs. My fender is rated 18lbs. So, I'm in the range anyway.
          Should be okay then. Keep in mind, unless something bad happens, in theory, you should still be attached to the halibut via your line. 18lbs should work fine. You will likely be fighting the fish off a kayak with a whole lot less than 18lbs of drag and of course the drag adds to the resistance once its on the buoy so you should be ok.

Comment

I use a G3 Polyform boat fender, which is good for about 12 lbs of flotation. Tie a short line to both ends of the fender, then tie your longer main line to the center of the short line so the fish will have to pull the fender sideways. This arrangement creates a lot more drag, which is what really slows the fish down. You won't need 20' of floating line, less is more. I use about 12', and keep as much as I can wrapped around the fender to keep the deck of my kayak organized.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_Sky View Post
              I use a G3 Polyform boat fender, which is good for about 12 lbs of flotation. Tie a short line to both ends of the fender, then tie your longer main line to the center of the short line so the fish will have to pull the fender sideways. This arrangement creates a lot more drag, which is what really slows the fish down. You won't need 20' of floating line, less is more. I use about 12', and keep as much as I can wrapped around the fender to keep the deck of my kayak organized.
              That's a really good idea about making it pull sideways. Probably stores easier than a round A0 buy too. I keep my line as short as I can. More rope is just more stuff to get wrapped around your gear above or below the kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
                That's a really good idea about making it pull sideways. Probably stores easier than a round A0 buy too. I keep my line as short as I can. More rope is just more stuff to get wrapped around your gear above or below the kayak.
                The G3 is a perfect interference fit across the width of the tank well in the Revo16, tucked nicely under the sidekick cross bar, behind the seat. It really couldn't fit any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X