Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Short Oars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Short Oars

    Anyone know where I can find a decent set of short oars for an 8' Zodiac?
    Probably need 5' to 5 1/2' oars. I have a cheap set of aluminum oars but I would like something a little better (even wood ones would be fine).
    I dont need to spend hundreds on composite ones though as they are not the main mode of propulsion. I got a motor fer that. roud:
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

  • #2
    Drifter,how about just a couple of paddles?

    Comment


    • #3
      Could work I guess.
      I have a set of clamp on oar locks that I could just clamp onto the shafts of the paddles. :think:

      I would really need to cut the ends off the paddles and install a pair of grips to get proper use out of them though.
      sigpic
      www.arcticangler.ca
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

      Comment


      • #4
        drifter, IMO if you plan to potentially row your zodiac in the ocean or on faster moving rivers, go with more oar than you think you need. You'll appreciate the extra leverage they provide over ones marginally long enough to get the job done. We use 7.5' Cataract mini-magnums (two-piece/breakdown models). They're strong and lightweight.

        www.advancedcomposites.com
        https://pristineventures.com

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart in Yellowknife,but in Kenai they have wooden oars from 5' to 8' long for less than $100 per pair.It might be an option to look at......

          Comment


          • #6
            Drifter found these here for you 5 ft to 7.5 http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...wood+Boat+Oars

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by power drifter View Post
              Drifter found these here for you 5 ft to 7.5 http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...wood+Boat+Oars
              Thanks Andrew but unfortunately I won't deal with them due to them using UPS for shipping.

              UPS treats us Canucks like red headed stepchildren. They will only ship air to yellowknife which is complete BS as they stick the stuff on a truck in Edmonton but still charge air rates. They also charge high rates for brokerage fees when shipping across the boarder. Between their unreasonable shipping rates and stupid fees cost to ship 2 oars to me would be about 4 X the cost of the oars.

              The plan really isn't to row rivers or oceans with them, I just would like a good pair incase I need to row because of motor failure or to get through some skinny water or sneak up on a spot.
              sigpic
              www.arcticangler.ca
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                UPS treats us Canucks like red headed stepchildren.
                Sounds about right.

                I bought a carslisle aluminum one piece oar shaft from sporstmans when they had a big sale, I think it cost me $85. I'm sure you could cut them off, drill a new hole in each for the blade and you'd be good to go. The stupid blades are spendy (+/- $65). Isn't sportmans canadien owned now?
                My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

                Comment


                • #9
                  Scott I think I read that UFA a Canadian company bought 15 of their 60 stores mostly in the north west. I think sportsmans liquidated 23 others and still have the rest including the ones up here. They are a Utah based company.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                    Anyone know where I can find a decent set of short oars for an 8' Zodiac?
                    Probably need 5' to 5 1/2' oars. I have a cheap set of aluminum oars but I would like something a little better (even wood ones would be fine).
                    I dont need to spend hundreds on composite ones though as they are not the main mode of propulsion. I got a motor fer that. roud:
                    Sawyer Utility (STD)
                    Sawyer Utility (STD) oar is likely a really good way to go for you if sticking to economy end.

                    Smokers Quality Oar (QO) is made of laminated fir

                    Smokers Solid Ash - Quality Oar (AQ) is made of laminated ash (little more flexible)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brian Richardson View Post
                      Sawyer Utility (STD)
                      Sawyer Utility (STD) oar is likely a really good way to go for you if sticking to economy end.

                      Smokers Quality Oar (QO) is made of laminated fir

                      Smokers Solid Ash - Quality Oar (AQ) is made of laminated ash (little more flexible)
                      Thanks Brian
                      Anywhere local in South central to buy them?
                      I was figuring on picking up a set when I'm there in tthe fall.
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X