Cataraft Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cataraft Advice

I am looking for any input or advice anyone is willing to pass along! All i know is i probably want a 18' cat. I dont need a packable raft as i wont be doing any fly in trips. I have a trailer for hauling it. I figured a cat would work best for what im looking for. I want something very stable, versatile but can handle day trips down the Kenai as well as multiple night trips.
    I will have up to about 4,500$ to spend on a setup. I keep an eye out for used stuff online but havent found too much to my liking. Maybe the Sportsmans show would be a good time to look for a good deal on a cat? Also curious about frame options and any other input anyone might have. thanks!

Brian, I have a 2008 18' Aire Leopard That I will be selling this spring once I dig it out of the garage and set it up to place on Craigslist. It's complete with frame, cargo mod, anchor system/anchor, motor mount, 3 10' oars, etc. I even have a couple of 4 stroke motors (one of which I will be selling) with or without this boat. PM me if you think you may be interested.
    Greg

Comment

"stable, versatile but can handle day trips down the Kenai as well as multiple night trips." "up to about 4,500$" ----- I'm thinking a used Aire Leopard would fit that fairly well, but so would a lot of other boats in that class. I think there's more used Leopards for sale than just about anything I see on Craigs List. Nice boats. I prefer a round boat to a cat for most down river trips that don't involve major whitewater, although I have both.

Another option is an Alaska Series cat or some other lower cost boat. You should be able to pick up a new one at the Sportsman's Show for that price.

Comment

I agree with Jim. I love my cats for "hair Water"-- But in Alaska and Siberia I use rafts 90% of the time. Simple- just blow them up and throw them in the river??!! My raft frame weighs in at 20#. Some of the cat frames I see around here weighs as much as a raft. Just my thoughts, and I own and sell both.
        Goo

Comment

Brian,
          If you're a novice rafter you may want to consider a smaller boat. I spent some time on the Klutina on a lightly loaded Leopard and thought I was going to die from exertion (well OK maybe not actually die, die, but I sure was whooped by the time we got back to the bridge)

I offer this as an experienced and happy oarsman of the Jagarundi--the 16' cousin of the Leopard. The Jag is a very nimble boat even when loaded and has nearly the load capacity of Leopard.
          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

You talkin to me? I buy boats, I don't sell em.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
              Brian, I have a 2008 18' Aire Leopard That I will be selling this spring once I dig it out of the garage and set it up to place on Craigslist. It's complete with frame, cargo mod, anchor system/anchor, motor mount, 3 10' oars, etc. I even have a couple of 4 stroke motors (one of which I will be selling) with or without this boat. PM me if you think you may be interested.
              Greg
              AK Troutbum,
              Tried to send you a PM, are you still thinking about selling your boat?
              Thanks,
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Tron-diuck View Post
                AK Troutbum,
                Tried to send you a PM, are you still thinking about selling your boat?
                Thanks,
                Jeff
                Sold it on Craigslist.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X