Upper Kenai Logjam GONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word to the wise-

I hope folks can see this situation as an illustration that no matter how many times you've floated the river, you should NEVER float a channel narrow enough to be bridged by a tree, unless one of the following conditions are met:
    1. You can see all the way through it to the main channel.
    2. You have walked it out and verified that it can be safely floated.
    3. There are ample pull-outs to allow a way to pull over in case of an emergency.
    4. You have just flown it and verified that the channel is clear.

It's so easy to die up here; while you're pinned underwater looking at the sky just a few inches from your submerged face, the river will keep on flowing, the birds will keep on singing, and the day will go on by without a thought or care about you. You have to do your homework and make good decisions.

-Mike

Originally posted by Heg View Post
    Thanks fellas.

I posted this summer that I ran into this logjam with some out of town relatives-that were experienced paddlers. We were able to extract ourselves unscathed; however, it could have been a totally different story. The water was high, and it was an inviting channel, not difficult at all to navigate. Although I am not a “novice”, I do only float the Upper Kenai a couple times a year, so I was not privy to this treacherous trap.

On a river this popular, it is great that some members of our community were able to take the time and energy to remove a potential death trap. Thanks again.
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Where exactly was this jam? I never came across it last summer, but I was packing up my gear when I was done for the day at jims landing and saw two boats come in with all the people soaking wet and them talking about overturning their boats. I don't know if that was from the same jam or not.

Comment

Location of jam-

Originally posted by griff View Post
        Where exactly was this jam? I never came across it last summer, but I was packing up my gear when I was done for the day at jims landing and saw two boats come in with all the people soaking wet and them talking about overturning their boats. I don't know if that was from the same jam or not.
        We posted a couple of google maps of it in the Kenai logjam thread... but you have to dig to find them now. If you know the upper river much, the best way to describe it is that the channel that was obstructed is on river left (on your left as you float downstream). If you were standing at the right side of the jam, and looking straight downstream, you would see that large cliff on river left, where the main current flows against the left bank. The jam was just a few yards upstream of the end of the side channel. Next time you're in there, just stick to the main channel, but pull in to the left at the tip of the little island there and you'll see where it was.

There is still a very large cottonwood laying across the bottom there (we could not get to it because it was completely submerged)- it appears pinned to the bottom and mostly across the channel. It would not surprise me if we see other logs and debris hung up in there this spring. I won't be floating that channel; it's short and not really worth the trouble anyway in my opinion. I think the attraction for fishermen is that they think they're getting away from people in there. But it's swift and narrow, with no places to pull over and fish anyway. I don't really see a good reason to chance it.

-Mike
        Michael Strahan
        Site Owner
        Alaska Hunt Consultant
        1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Thanks for the description. I opened up google earth and thought I found the spot. The original post on here is still at the top of the page so I found where it really was. I was right, just not sure where in that channel. I've never taken that braid before, so I'm not too worried about it, but thanks for cleaning it out. Hopefuly it wont attract any more debris, but it sounds like it might.

Comment

Is it open

I was wondering if anyone has floated the canyon yet this year and what it looks like? Also wondering if skilak lake is open ?

Thanks, fancyfishkiller

Comment

not yet

flew over skilak on sunday, and it was odd. the portion flowing into skilak (canyon) was all clear blue water only a mile out, the rest of the lake is frozen, even at the mouth of the middle... the boat launch is still blocked up. kinda weak. but it was definently flowing strong. we saw people camping on the beach at skilak right there at the canyon mouth. And if those people are on this site.... sorry about flying 150 ft over your tent! didnt see you at first
              sigpicGo Fish

Comment

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!! THE PEOPLE CAMPING NEAR THE MOUTH MUST OF FLOATED DOWN I ASSUME, BUT THATS A LONG WALK OUT IF YOU CAN'T GET ACCROSS THE LAKE. DID YOU SEE ANY BEARS YET WHILE YOU WERE FLYING OVER THAT AREA? just wondering? THANKS AGAIN

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X