Tazlina float in late June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tazlina float in late June

Looking at floating the Tazlina from the lake down to the highway in June. The wife and I would be using a pristine ventures legend. We've done the talchulitna to the chulitna in the boat before. Looking for any suggestions if this would be a good trip at that time of year and any recommendations on a charter to fly us in to the lake. We only have about 3-4 days while the kids are away at camp so want to make sure we can do the entire trip in time to get back to the kids by the time camp is over.

Any help/advice is appreciated or if anyone has another river in the general area they would suggest

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve:

Gulkana Raft Rentals services that river as part of our business model. We put 3-4 trips per summer on it so if you want to give me a call I will help out as I can. Its a straight forward 3.5 day trip starting at the Nittle Nelchina and ending at the Tazlina bridge. The first 5 miles can be tough as the Little Nelchinal tends to have lots of log jams but its smooth sailing once yu reach the Big Nelchina. The lake is windy in the afternoons so only cross early or late.

We offer shuttles if yo need to move a rig as well

Walt
    907-259-4290

Comment

Originally posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
      Hi Steve:

Gulkana Raft Rentals services that river as part of our business model. We put 3-4 trips per summer on it so if you want to give me a call I will help out as I can. Its a straight forward 3.5 day trip starting at the Nittle Nelchina and ending at the Tazlina bridge. The first 5 miles can be tough as the Little Nelchinal tends to have lots of log jams but its smooth sailing once yu reach the Big Nelchina. The lake is windy in the afternoons so only cross early or late.

We offer shuttles if yo need to move a rig as well

Walt
      907-259-4290
      I wasn't aware you are offering shuttles now Walt. Are you providing shuttles for the Gulkana too? From Paxson lake to Sourdough?

Comment

We have always shuttled the Non-BLM areas.

Comment

Lee's air taxi is a good bet.
          My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Thanks for the help and input. A little late on getting a charter, hoping I can pull it together.

Thank you!!

Comment

ak river guy - are you still thinking of doing the little N to Taz? 4 of us are planning to do this as well at the end of June; 2 boats 13' SB and a 16' cat with motor for lake. I'll call Walt in a couple days, but curious to hear if you do it before we get there. I think the only reason we wouldn't go is if conditions on the Little Nelchina stop us.

Comment

Hi guys:

We have sent 1 trip in and out of the Little New-Taz this season. some log jams on the Little Nelchina but other than that no issues. Keep in mine there is always wind issues on Tazlina Lake so stay off of it in the afternoon is all possible.

Yes we do shuttles.

Walt
                Gulkana Raft Rentals
                907-259-4290

Comment

Thanks Walt, out-of-state guests coming up on the 28th. Logistics coming together. We plan to launch midday on Saturday the 29th and spend 4 nights. I'll be giving you a call to run our shuttle along with some last minute questions. We have enough time make sure we don't need to be on the lake in the afternoon. Looking forward to it.

Comment

We will be doing this trip over the 4th of July weekend. I'd love to get some information on river conditions before we go.

Comment

It's a float I've been wanting to do for a while. I'll have to wait for another year but please post some river reports and of course some photos.

Comment

No we switched it to the Gulkana. Definitely recommend Gulkana Raft Rentals for the shuttle. He was there super quick and helped get us and gear back to the launch.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the Plug Steve.

We outfit the Copper, Gulkana, Delta and Little New-Tazlina rivers boys, shuttles to!

Walt
                          907-259-4290
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the shuttle Walt, much appreciated.

Comment

We just had 2 groups return from the Tax float. Great time, 4 days and as I have said in the past the Little Nelchina is/was the hardest part. yesterdays group lost an oar in the first big log jam....I guess thats why we take damage deposits and send extra oars. If anyone finds an 11 foot blue oar in the Little Nelchina I would be happy to give you a reward!

Walt
                              Gulkana Rafting

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X