east fork chulitna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• east fork chulitna

Can anyone remind me what river comes in river right when you are floating down the east fork of the chulitna that makes the water change from clear to murky glacial water? I thought I remember a long stretch after honolulu of clear water but I was also thinking the west fork was glacial.
    Thanks in advance.

That would be the main stem of the Chulitna River, AKA West Fork of the Chulitna River, the one that comes out of the glacier.

Comment

Anyone float this recently? How was it?

Thanks
      You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Floated from the east fork to the Parks bridge last weekend with a large group. We had boats ranging from a Kayak to an 18 foot cat. The trip went well with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Montana_Transplant View Post
          Floated from the east fork to the Parks bridge last weekend with a large group. We had boats ranging from a Kayak to an 18 foot cat. The trip went well with no issues.
          Thanks a lot MT, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Montana_Transplant View Post
            Hey MT, I see you took out at the Parks bridge, was that by the Princess Lodge? I remember seeing a gate across that roadway, do you know if that gate was open or who to contact to get permission to drive down that road?

Thanks again.

Comment

On my way back to town after floating the upper middle fork of the Chew this weekend I noticed that the gate was either open or removed.
              -JR

Comment

No gate - although I have heard there is still some tension with the land owner. If anyone knows the land owner could we come to an agreement? If a box was posted with a request for donations I would be happy to support the launch in exchange for continued use. I believe the commercial operations pay for access rights.

Comment

Right on...thanks guys.

Comment

How do you access the West Fork.
                    -JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gilliland440 View Post
                      How do you access the West Fork.
                      -JR
                      It is not road accessible. The easiest way to get on the west fork is to put in on the east or middle fork and float down to the confluence with the west.

There are some options for schwacking into the west fork for packrafting or flying in but the best part of the float is on the clear water of the middle and east forks.

Comment

I thought someone once told me that you could get to it somewhere around Colorado Lake. Maybe via the bull river?
                        -JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gilliland440 View Post
                          I thought someone once told me that you could get to it somewhere around Colorado Lake. Maybe via the bull river?
                          -JR
                          I have heard that too. I guess I should clarify and say it is not easily road accessible.

Comment

I have a 16 ft Cat and would like to float the Chulitna in the next couple weeks. I know very little about the float and am looking for any good information anyone might have for me. Put in Location, Pick up Location, Length, Camping spots, etc.... Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Some Chulitna float info here: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page46.html

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X