Marine electronic networks

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Attention Alaska Artisans and Product Manufacturers!

If you are an Alaska-based Artisan, Crafstman, Author, or Product Manufacturer, or any local business offering products available for sale, we welcome you to add a listing to the AOS Directory. Basic listings are free, and include a summary of your business, physical address, 1 photo and an email address.
Paid listings are being offered through a special promotion: $150/year includes a Featured Directory listing, a link to your website, phone number, email address and a forum welcome announcement linked to your directory listing. We look forward to presenting Alaska products to our audience! Please send an email message to customerservice@alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com if you would like to submit your listing or receive additional information.
Click arrow in top right corner for next announcement.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pacific23
    replied
    Shark Bait,

Very GOOD post.

Leave a comment:

• Kidless
    replied
    GC, can you please provide clarity of my recently asked questions; define "we" & "dealer" so I have a better understanding of this particular topic.

[QUOTE=Glaciercraft;903777]Kidless, You are correct, we decided not to become a Raymarine dealer, As for Furuno, after being the only dealer/service center for the last ten years in Anchorage, with little to no support from the factory we felt that renewing our dealer agreement with them was not in our best interest.]

Originally Posted by Glaciercraft
    Alaska R&C Communications, Inc is no longer a dealer for Furuno. Glacier Craft Boats, LLC has taken over all of the marine electronics and aspects there of. Glacier Craft Boats, LLC is a dealer for Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, Northstar, Icom, Standard Horizon and many more. GCB will no longer be bound by factory direct dealer contracts, that inhibit us to what and who we can sell for. GCB will retain factory support with Garmin, Icom, Northstar, Standard Horizon and many more but we have chosen to drop factory contracts that inhibit us from selling other manufacturers or that may cause a conflict of interest. GCB will be dealers of all of these products but we will no longer have any conflict of interest. This will better serve our customers with lower pricing and more choices.
    GCB will still be the only shop in Anchorage with a factory trained and certified radar technician to repair and service Furuno, Simrad, Raymarine, Northstar and Garmin.

Leave a comment:

• Shark Bait
    replied
    The comments below are from my actual experience of having a custom aluminum boat built and then outfitting it - no opinions or rumors - just facts.

petrophobe: Before I selected a builder for my boat I visited and toured the manufacturing facilities of six aluminum boat builders in Alaska, Washington and British Columbia. With the exception of one builder all said it would take from six to nine months to build a boat depending on the size and complexity. All but one had excellent track records for meeting a specified delivery date.

My boat is 34' X 10' and is extremely well equipped with numerous innovative custom items - it is definitely not a cookie-cutter charter boat. My written contract specified an exact delivery date which was nine months. With my prior approval the builder asked for a two week extension so he could complete a boat for a federal government agency contract which included numerous last minute additions.

petrophobe, GC, pacific 23 and kodiakrain: Concerning my electronics suite it is a mix of Garmin, Furuno and Airmar. All of my electronics equipment including the autopilot was purchased from Jim Maier at BOE Marine. I have never received better customer service on anything I have ever purchased than I have revived from BOE.

Concerning GCs comments about purchasing locally - I am all for it and that is my first choice, if that is where I find the best value - not lowest price, but best value. Best value includes Value Added by the company or business, service, information, etc,. Why would I want to purchase anything from a local dealer for a higher price, with poor customer service and questionable recommendations? If you have lived in Alaska for any length of time you will remember this was the norm several years ago - lots of local companies provided limited selections, poor customer service and advise at higher prices because they thought you the customer had no other options - not true today. I routinely buy locally at higher prices than I can get from the internet because of the Value Added.

petrophobe: Here is a piece I wrote about a year and a half ago about what to consider when having a boat built. I think it is still valid today.

Boat Construction Considerations
    After going through the process of having a custom aluminum boat built I found there are at least five major areas to consider when selecting a builder. When first considering having a custom aluminum boat built it is easy to just look at one of the builders boats and say “Boy that’s a neat boat” without considering ALL of the things that go into having a custom boat built.

1. Builders Experience – How long has he been in business, how many boats has he built, what is his reputation, what do current and previous owners think about the boats, would current and previous owners have this builder build them another boat?

2. Design and Engineering – Who did the hull design and configuration layouts, are the boats designed by a naval architect, are CAD drawings done for each boat, is the weight and balance calculated for each boat, and are the boats certified to meet USCG and ABYC (and possibly Canadian CG) standards ?

3. Construction – Does the builder have an adequate and dedicated construction facility, does he have quality tools, welders and machining equipment, does he have adequate material/boat handling equipment, are ALL of the welders doing the construction tested and certified or do they just know how to run a MIG gun? Are the boats built from drawings or is “Stuff” just added after the hull is completed?

4. Business Practices – Is a detailed and legal contract which protects BOTH the builder and client done for each boat, how accurately is the start and/or delivery date defined, what is the record of the builder in meeting the start and/or delivery date? How accurate are the builders cost figures – does he have a history of “Cost Escalation” which results in additional charges at the time of delivery? How open is the builder to contract changes? Is a “Build Sheet” which details EVERY system, sub-system and part (i.e. specific make and model of each part used) a part of the contract or does the contract just list general items like, hydraulic steering, refrigerator, suspension seats, 2 bilge pumps, etc,? Are all changes requested by the client added to the “Build Sheet” with the cost listed? Most, if not all, custom aluminum boat builders require an initial small deposit and then either 3 or 4 major construction payments. After the initial construction payment does the builder have to have made material progress on the boat BEFORE payment 2 is made? Does the BUILDER do one or more sea trails of the boat after construction is complete?

5. Customer Service – How easy is it to deal with the builder, is he open to your ideas, how easy is it to contact him, how quickly does he return your calls, does he give specific answers and not generalities to your questions, if you have a problem how prompt is he is correcting the issues and finally - has the entire process been a pleasurable and fun experience or a giant PITA for prior clients?

These are just a few things that I found were important to me when selecting a builder.

There are many builders in Alaska, Washington and British Columbia that will build you a boat – the trick is to find a quality builder that will work with you to get you a boat that meets your needs and budget.

And finally a comment about delivery dates. If you have a custom boat built you are going to spend some serious money – the builder owes it to you to accurately define and meet a delivery date. There is a big difference in knowing that it will be two years before you are going to get your boat and being told (or having it listed in the contract) that your boat will be delivered in 6 months and then you finally get it a year and a half after that date. A quality, reputable builder will identify a delivery date (accurate to within a few weeks) and then meet that date so long as major changes, not little adds, are not made during the construction process. Having CAD drawings of the boat before construction starts greatly reduces the chance of any major changes.

Leave a comment:

• Kidless
    replied
    What are you trying to say? Please define "we" & "dealer" so I / we have a better understanding of this particular topic.

[QUOTE=Glaciercraft;903777]Kidless, You are correct, we decided not to become a Raymarine dealer, As for Furuno, after being the only dealer/service center for the last ten years in Anchorage, with little to no support from the factory we felt that renewing our dealer agreement with them was not in our best interest.]

Originally posted by Glaciercraft View Post
    Alaska R&C Communications, Inc is no longer a dealer for Furuno. Glacier Craft Boats, LLC has taken over all of the marine electronics and aspects there of. Glacier Craft Boats, LLC is a dealer for Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, Northstar, Icom, Standard Horizon and many more. GCB will no longer be bound by factory direct dealer contracts, that inhibit us to what and who we can sell for. GCB will retain factory support with Garmin, Icom, Northstar, Standard Horizon and many more but we have chosen to drop factory contracts that inhibit us from selling other manufacturers or that may cause a conflict of interest. GCB will be dealers of all of these products but we will no longer have any conflict of interest. This will better serve our customers with lower pricing and more choices.
    GCB will still be the only shop in Anchorage with a factory trained and certified radar technician to repair and service Furuno, Simrad, Raymarine, Northstar and Garmin.

Leave a comment:

• Glaciercraft
    replied
    Alaska R&C Communications, Inc is no longer a dealer for Furuno. Glacier Craft Boats, LLC has taken over all of the marine electronics and aspects there of.
    Glacier Craft Boats, LLC is a dealer for Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, Northstar, Icom, Standard Horizon and many more. GCB will no longer be bound by factory direct dealer contracts, that inhibit us to what and who we can sell for. GCB will retain factory support with Garmin, Icom, Northstar, Standard Horizon and many more but we have chosen to drop factory contracts that inhibit us from selling other manufacturers or that may cause a conflict of interest. GCB will be dealers of all of these products but we will no longer have any conflict of interest. This will better serve our customers with lower pricing and more choices.

Leave a comment:

• Kidless
    replied
    Why are you still reflecting both Furuno & Raymarine advertisement banners on your Glacier craft facebook page? From your previous reply, I thought you were no longer a dealer for either product? Has this decision just recently changed?
    Glacier Craft Boats, LLC.
    Is adding Raymarine to our flagship of high end marine electronics.

Glacier Craft Boats, LLC.
    Authorized Furuno dealer since 1997

[ [QUOTE=Glaciercraft;903777]Kidless, You are correct, we decided not to become a Raymarine dealer, As for Furuno, after being the only dealer/service center for the last ten years in Anchorage, with little to no support from the factory we felt that renewing our dealer agreement with them was not in our best interest. ]

Leave a comment:

• petrophobe
    replied
    How long from the day you ordered it to your scheduled July finish date?

Snowwolfe,
    Thanks for the opinion on BOE.

I was lucky enough to pick up a GC order that had been in the hopper for a while, but the original person got deployed and have to give it up. Appreciate the sacrifices our soldiers make. Coho supposed to hit the jig this month then into the cradle. My understanding is 18 mo to 2 yrs for a new order. Someone remarked that their boat was about 6 weeks behind at one point. SR at GC has been fine to work with so far.

Leave a comment:

• Snowwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by petrophobe View Post
    New Coho Offshore should be done in July. Debating Garmin GPS map 4200 multifiunction network/radar/sonar/VHF/fuel sensor combo VERSUS Raymarine multifunction network. Seems like the commercial boats lean toward Raytheon. Touchscreen isn't going to work in cold weather is it? Anybody think HD radar is worth the price for a small recreational cruiser?
    :question:

As a person who has kicked around ordering bigger ocean boat for years it is currently narrowed down to a Sea Wolf, Thunderjet Offshore, or GC. How long from the day you ordered it to your scheduled July finish date?

BTY, I purchased most of my electronics from BOE and they are a top rate outfit.

Leave a comment:

• petrophobe
    replied
    Thanks for the opinions. Sounds like Furuno has a loyal following. Now, how about the networking of radar sounder plotter VHF and fuel consumption all into one multifunction electronic unit?

Leave a comment:

• kodiakrain
    replied
    Modern Electronics, Absolutely DIY

Originally posted by Glaciercraft View Post
    It's pretty tough to take your boat in to the guy's at boemarine if your having trouble. There is nothing like being able to have a tech look at your equipment directly and diagnose the problem. Thats tough to do over the phone.
    Well, I've just got to respond to this idea, for the sake of the guys who may be setting up their new system or upgrading these days,

In my opinion, "This idea that you' d better pay heavy, cause you MIGHT need local tech support for your electronics,
    is a total mislead and a non issue in every way."

I realize GC is a local biz owner, and as nice as it is to buy local, which I support for other reasons, I have been hearing this line from local Electronics dealers for so long, then looking at the mark up on prices for support that you'll probably never need, it's just not real and I believe should be corrected.

If you want to spend thousands to support the local guy, that's cool, just don't do it for fear of being without tech or even installation support.

In my years as a Commercial Fisherman, I have completely outfitted Electronically four different vessels with highend packages, one vessel had in excess of twenty thousand worth of electronics.
    and I HAVE NEVER seen a modern electronics item fail.
    They're just too solid state these days, Radars, Plotters Sounder etc. will last far longer than your patience with the technology.

Second, the installation is too easy, if you can wire stuff up at all. And the idea that the local small business can stay up to date with the rapid pace of technology (unless they were in Close Relationship with the parent company) is almost impossible.

So as a result of that extra money you spent, the tech guy will probably be coming down at $90/hr to ask if you have a manual they can read for troubleshooting ideas.

In my yrs I have only had minor troubles with two ComNav Autopilots, both were installed by other owners, with drive pumps that were under spec'd and once I called the parent company, talked with their tech guys, diagnosed/troubleshot over the phone, ordered the right part, installed myself, Both have never had a problem since.

My favorite company of High Reputation, is Consumer Marine Electronics, an east coast online company that has Stellar sales guys who know their equipment as well as any in the biz,
    as well as knowing the marine industry, those guys will sell you what you need and not any more, get the stuff to AK quick and inexpensively,
    then, you'll slap it in yourself sticking with the directions, using good wiring practices, Never a Problem again

At least until the newest and greatest thing comes out,.....

Not trying to steal business from anyone, just feel that quote, is a marketing strategy that is being used on a site where we are all brothers and friends asking and giving advice, should get good, HONEST advice, and in my opinion again, that is absolutely not Real

Leave a comment:

• jrogers
    replied
    It is pretty amazing on how everyone has nothing but good to say about BOEMarine. These forumns can really work for (or against) a business, depending on your reputation.

Leave a comment:

• Kidless
    replied
    Hi Pacifc23, thanks for the additional marine electronics link.
    Originally posted by pacific23 View Post
    Just trying to help someone save some MONEY and yer right that equipment that you Plug in can be very difficult to work with and buying from a MARINE ELECTRONICS DEALER that carries everything .
    I can tell you one thing ANYONE that has dealt with www.boemarine.com WILL deal with them again when another purchase is needed.

I have no interest or receive ANY compansation for sales from BOE , just trying to help a fellow boater out with time and money.

Later Dude...
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-16-2011, 21:17.

Leave a comment:

• pacific23
    replied
    Just trying to help someone save some MONEY and yer right that equipment that you Plug in can be very difficult to work with and buying from a MARINE ELECTRONICS DEALER that carries everything .
    I can tell you one thing ANYONE that has dealt with www.boemarine.com WILL deal with them again when another purchase is needed.

I have no interest or receive ANY compansation for sales from BOE , just trying to help a fellow boater out with time and money.

Later Dude...

Leave a comment:

• Glaciercraft
    replied
    Originally posted by pacific23 View Post
    Check prices at www.boemarine.com those guys are great to deal with and usually have awesome pricing.

And I LOVE my Furuno equipment .
    I think I speak for all small business's, spend your money where you make your money and it will pay off in the long run.
    It's pretty tough to take your boat in to the guy's at boemarine if your having trouble. There is nothing like being able to have a tech look at your equipment directly and diagnose the problem. Thats tough to do over the phone.

Leave a comment:

• pacific23
    replied
    Check prices at www.boemarine.com those guys are great to deal with and usually have awesome pricing.

And I LOVE my Furuno equipment .

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X