Espar heater in Glacier Craft boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espar heater in Glacier Craft boats

Spoke with a fellow GC owner a couple hours ago who had trouble with his Espar. He pulled his tank and found a lot of water in the kerosine presumably coming in through the vent. I have had inconsistent performance with mine. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't . It will usually light the night I go out but rarely the next am. Seems to start better when running on step but not every time. Just wondering if anyone else is/was having similar problems. I have the same vents he does not only on the kerosene tank but the fuel tanks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Has your tank been ran dry? Some people have larger tanks and never use all the fuel then it sits through the winter and either gels up or causes issues with the heater the following year.
    My vent/exhaust is above the gunwale and haven't had any issues yet.

Comment

Espar heater in Glacier Craft boats

I don't think it has been run dry. I have put probably 6-8 gallons through it this season. Seems to run fine when it does start. I have only used kerosene in it. Not sure if kerosene degrades through winter.

MMSI#

Comment

How often do you run it and how often do you run it at max temp. Running on max(boost mode) every time you use it, for a short time, is a good idea as it burns up any soot in burner. Personally when I fire mine up I run it on max till cabin is hot then I turn it down to low.

Comment

It runs at max a lot. Usually until it cycles itself down. My cabin is not insulated so it requires quite a bit of heat to warm it up. There is a copper coil coming off the bottom of the heater that drips a little fuel/water concoction. Can't find its purpose in the manual.

MMSI#

Comment

If it's not firing up the next morning it could be a low voltage issue. Espars are real picky with voltage. Other than that I'd say run some stanadyne diesel treatment thru it. I always ran diesel in mine. Never had issues other than low voltage the next morning when a battery would drain down.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
            Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
            Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
            MMSI# 338232859

Comment

I throw a couple bottles of sea foam in my tank when it gets cold to help with the gelling. It also helps with water but I've never had water issues that I know of.

That being said, mine will shutdown over night if I run it all night on the lowest setting. Seems to struggle to keep a fire going. It fires right up and runs fine when I turn it back on in the morning on high.

I'd be curious about that fuel/water drip you have.
              sigpic

Comment

It tries to fire. You would think if there was not enough voltage it would not go through the cycles. It also kind of rumbles when it doesn't start. Like it's trying to clear something.picture of the copper coil

MMSI#

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbtide View Post
                  It tries to fire. You would think if there was not enough voltage it would not go through the cycles. It also kind of rumbles when it doesn't start. Like it's trying to clear something

I don't think it's possible to predict the effect Low voltage has on a electronic circuit. Measuring the voltage going to the heater when you're having a problem would go a long way in finding the cause.

Comment

I'm not saying it is low voltage but when my voltage got low in the morning it would start then ramp up then back down a couple times before it just shut down Other than that pull the glow plug under the top cover and clean it up with a wire brush. That might help then run seafoam or stanadyne thru it

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                    MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Coiled copper tube is just a drain for any condensation that builds up in the exhaust. Should not have any fuel dripping from there. Only water.

Comment

There is a max run time setting on my Espar. It will only run for X hours before turning off. You can change the setting if you have the fancy thermostat. What you can do is turn it off and back on at some point just to reset the timer. Default run time is 12 hours I think.
                        2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by prconnection View Post
                          Coiled copper tube is just a drain for any condensation that builds up in the exhaust. Should not have any fuel dripping from there. Only water.
                          Correct, drain is from exhaust only.
                          Run seafoam occasionally.
                          Should have a inline fuel filter to prevent any water or debris from getting to pump prior to unit.

Honestly, sounds like low voltage issues. You can reset the low voltage cut out if you have the digital controller plus reset the 12 hr shut down timer.
                          I would put a charger on the batts, add a bottle of seafoam to some fresh heating fuel and fire it off and let it run on high for a few hours. Be sure you have good voltage.
                          My .02c.
                          Bk
                          BK Marine Services 232-6399
                          Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                          Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                          Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

For the DIY looking for answers you might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1MxHvthe4

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...air_Manual.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              For the DIY looking for answers you might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1MxHvthe4

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...air_Manual.pdf
                              Forgot about the voltage setting in there, but the run time setting was there as well.
                              2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X