Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspect your trailer brakes once a year!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Inspect your trailer brakes once a year!

    I'll admit I am lazy when it comes to pulling wheels and inspecting brakes and simply ignored the task.

    Trailer is a King Saltwater series triple axle and I been replacing the Tie Down discs with Kodiaks and stainless calipers. When converting the rear axle everything was fine other than pads that were almost toast. Moving to the middle axle discovered the factory didnt really care how they routed the rubber brake hose going to the caliper and one side abraded through and leaked. Fixed that, bleed the brake then noticed the rubber hose on the other side just popped as well as it now became the weak link.
    So before running into Anchorage to get some more hose made ($40 each X 4!) decided to inspect the front axle and discovered both rubber hoses were also chafed and would most likely pop when the pressure was buit up. Decided to inspect everything again up front and then noticed one of the calipers was missing the nuts that held it in place over the rotor.

    Learn from my mistake. If I had pulled the wheels once a year would of discovered the chafing and missing nuts and both would of been simple to fix.

  • #2
    Another thing you will want to do is put a wrench on all the nuts and bolts on your trailer. Mine too is a King and it seems they are not too worried about nuts and bolts either. Many of them where "hand tight" and I got one or two turns on them before they even started getting tight. You would think for the cost of these trailers and the value of the boats they haul they would be more careful.

    I just bled my brakes after converting to ele/hydraulic and I saw some stuff I did not like with the routing of the lines. Going to get a better inspection once my boat is in a slip and I can work on it without laying in the gravel.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

    Comment


    • #3
      Good tip Snowwolfe. Aw Jeez, yet another thing to add to the fishing to-do list. Thanks. (I think)

      Comment


      • #4
        All good suggestions. You'll see in a post that I updated today (reil bath hubs) where I found some nasty stuff when checking a hub.
        As I was doing hub work last night and seeing all of the bolts that hold my trailer together, I though that I need to check to make sure they are all tight. Especially since I had to loosen some parts and move them around to make the trailer fit my boat. I'm especially wary of loose nuts after a front wheel came off my F-250 the other day while I was going down the road at 60 mph.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skydiver View Post
          I'm especially wary of loose nuts after a front wheel came off my F-250 the other day while I was going down the road at 60 mph.
          Sorry for the hijack, but....Holy crap! Was anyone hurt?
          We never really grow up, we only learn
          how to act in public

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
            Sorry for the hijack, but....Holy crap! Was anyone hurt?
            My pride was substantually damaged.
            Luckily was not on a highway. Wheel went probably 1/8 mile before coming to rest down a hill in a subdivision up against a house. A big, heavy E-rated tire on a rim has a lot of energy at 60 mph.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skydiver View Post
              My pride was substantually damaged.
              Luckily was not on a highway. Wheel went probably 1/8 mile before coming to rest down a hill in a subdivision up against a house. A big, heavy E-rated tire on a rim has a lot of energy at 60 mph.

              Eagle River Road by chance??????

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
                Eagle River Road by chance??????
                Yup. Had lots of people stop to offer help. You one of 'em or did you just hear the story about the dumb*** who lost a wheel on Eagle River Road?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                  Yup. Had lots of people stop to offer help. You one of 'em or did you just hear the story about the dumb*** who lost a wheel on Eagle River Road?
                  Dang, bet that was...well exciting!! I can't think of a stretch of ER Road that I would even dare to go 60 mph.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Frostbitten - when you drive it every day and the roads are in good condition, it's possible to sometimes creep a little beyond the 55 mph limit.

                    Dupont - I see in your profile that you're retired and drive a SCHOOL BUS. It's all coming together now. I think that you had the best view of all!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                      Frostbitten - when you drive it every day and the roads are in good condition, it's possible to sometimes creep a little beyond the 55 mph limit.

                      Dupont - I see in your profile that you're retired and drive a SCHOOL BUS. It's all coming together now. I think that you had the best view of all!!
                      I wasn't criticizing you, I just was remembering that the road winds and turns alot out that way. It's an awesome area, and whenever I get out past mile 6 or so, I fully expect to see critters of some sort...and I am seldom disappointed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                        I wasn't criticizing you, I just was remembering that the road winds and turns alot out that way. It's an awesome area, and whenever I get out past mile 6 or so, I fully expect to see critters of some sort...and I am seldom disappointed.
                        No problem. Some people think the speed limit is 45 for the entire road when in fact much of it is 55. Every once in a while you ge behind someone going 40! You get used to the twists and turns.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yep was going to say check lug nuts. Had a trailer wheel come off due to loos lug nuts. It was only a little 8x10 with the snowmachines on it,

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another think to check if you repack the wheel bearings is the ouside bearing race in the hubs. I have a King Saltwater 3 axel trailer and repacked all the hubs after about 3 years and found that some of the outside races were spinning inside the hub...they should be pressed fit and stationary. I now carry a spare hub assembly to replace one if it goes bad and I can get it off the spindle. When the trailer was new it had caution stickers on the fenders to tighten the lug nuts...sure enough they were all loose.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Due to this post i decided to pull the tires off my King trailer today, wow what a mess one bolt missing on the claliper slide which caused the assembly to wear unevenly, one pad was about completely gone, the other side was not bad. Once I got everything apart the calipers would not move at all, guess the short story is that i am replacing both calipers at a cool cost of around $200 for parts my labor is cheat just need a couple beers. I will keep my head outta my arse and pay closer attention to the trailer so i can pull the tub down the road.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X