No announcement yet.

Rooftop Rafts--how to you attach them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooftop Rafts--how to you attach them?

I just bought a 22' hardtop hewescraft. I would like to get a raft to put on the roof. I have the rails around the roof to attach it to. I'll be using it go to shore. What's the best way to attach it to the roof? Should I just use ratchet straps or rope? I have the rocket launchers on the rear of the roof, which will make it difficult to get it up and down.

Just not sure of a quick and easy way to tie it up there???

Thanks for any suggestions!

I use a pair of ratcheting tie down straps, easy to use and keeps it from going anywhere. Just make sure you hit the mechanisms with some corrosion x or other rust preventative.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I also run a 22' Hewes hard top. Use the ratcheting straps to secure to your side rails. Id also recommend a couple of long ropes, one on the nose of your dingy and one to the back or side handle. That way one person can stand at the bow and one at the rear to lift the dingy up. Be careful to always keep one hand on a hand rail so you dont fall in. lift from the opposite side as your antenna so you dont accidentlly snap it off.
      Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
      Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Comment

Mine fits nicely under the radar arch on my 22ft Seasport. I do run the bowline from the dingy down to cleat in the anchor well.
        In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

NRS straps.

Comment

Then there's the question of do you plan on traveling down the highway with the dinghy strapped to the top? And what's the best way to do that. I've seen some scary things going down the highway.

Comment

One rachet strap and two bungys. When I bought my boat, the previous owner had one rope looping through in a few various places, kind of surrounding the edge of the dinghy, all he had to do was pull once on one end of the rope and the whole thing was detached! It was amazing, anyone know how to tie like that?

Comment

The knot is basically a series of looped half hitches. Used similiar a lot when I was packing horses.

Comment

A few years ago I got some stainless steel rachet straps 1" wide with loop ends. They work great, and look as good as they day I got them. Also, I wanted hooks at the ends but all they had at the time was loops. It turns out loops are way better, since it does not mar the hand holds I go around. Here are the basic rachets, but I think these guys just sell them with hooks.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/product...?product=S0201
                  2009 Seawolf 31'
                  www.seawolfmarine.com
                  Fully Loaded

Comment

Like the others said......ratching straps, use two. Before you buy your inflatable figure out what size you will need, and buy one slightly smaller. Unless you rig up a davit and winch a 90 pound inflatable is a PITA to get on and off the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by jrogers View Post
                      A few years ago I got some stainless steel rachet straps 1" wide with loop ends. They work great, and look as good as they day I got them. Also, I wanted hooks at the ends but all they had at the time was loops. It turns out loops are way better, since it does not mar the hand holds I go around. Here are the basic rachets, but I think these guys just sell them with hooks.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/product...?product=S0201
                      Did you get those local or did you order them? I like them for both the reasons you mention. They don't mark up the rails and they don't rust. Very cool.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey Patrick,

I got them on Ebay I think. I looked quickly and can't find the source for them, but they are worth some hunting.
                        2009 Seawolf 31'
                        www.seawolfmarine.com
                        Fully Loaded

Comment

Stop by the rafting boat shop on Tudor road, just before Arctic on the right headed west. They have the NRS straps you need, 4 years on mine still working great. In addition to the NRS straps(2) I tie a single line to the bow when trailering.
                          Jay
                          07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                          OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Here is another question, which way to do you have the raft, top up or bottom up on the roof. I am guessing bottom up to keep the water out of the raft, but what do you all do?
                            2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I've caried the raft both ways, so long as you keep the plug out, water will drain if it has the bottom down.

I think bottom up is the best way as they tubes nestle better onto your pilothouse roof w/o the keep there, and I think for towing the aerodymics are better as when you mount it bottom down the air tries to lift the bow of the inflatable up whereas with the bottom up the air seems to push it down.
                              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X