No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akrogers
    replied
    What i cant figure out is there are sure alot of them out there! One wouldnt think there would be all of them out there if there was this kind of a problem. I do know there are issues with them blowing up above the 500 hour mark. I have a 115 optimax outboard, hope it goes longer then 700 hours!

Leave a comment:

• Armed_alaskan
    replied
    PCM

Originally posted by kamloopsalbert View Post
    I have an optimax 2009 sport jet 200 with 200 hours on it. It started surging at 4200 like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It was put on a computer and came up with nothing. I have replaced all three fuel pumps, fuel lines, checked all sensors, replacing them with others and nothing. I checked the reeds and didn't see any chips on them and tomorrow I will replace the spark plugs (70 Hours on them). Has anyone had similar issues. I am at my wits end and I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions??? Any help???
    Doesn't the Optimax 200 have a PCM for the brains and operation of the motors? Don't know just asking. If the computer components go bad in vehicles you get bad performance, so I would think its the same thing for a boat motor.

Leave a comment:

• kamloopsalbert
    replied
    Can anyone give me any input to my optimax 200 sport jet issue?

I have an optimax 2009 sport jet 200 with 200 hours on it. It started surging at 4200 like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It was put on a computer and came up with nothing. I have replaced all three fuel pumps, fuel lines, checked all sensors, replacing them with others and nothing. I checked the reeds and didn't see any chips on them and tomorrow I will replace the spark plugs (70 Hours on them). Has anyone had similar issues. I am at my wits end and I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions??? Any help???

Originally posted by OzAK View Post
    These engines certainly have had their issues. I own one that is now at 150 Hrs and at the point in its life where one can expect, so I'm told, for the reed valves to be at the beginning stages of work hardening and beginning to start shedding tiny chips off the edges. These chips make their way through and into everywhere you don't want them. The fix is Boyesen Reeds (composite vs. stainless steel stock reeds), thereby eliminating just another way for the Opti to crap itself. All that said, I love how this motor runs, don't really care for its noise either but can improve a number of things there, fuel economy is good. Still love the rumble of an inboard V-8 though. Now, the last thought. Any of you outboard guys out there have any hard numbers on the life expectancy of say, a Johnson or Evinrude V-4? Lets be fair in that they are 2 Strokes as well so how long do they last really, no BS. You can hardly compare them with the life expectancy of a marine 4 stroke V-8. Oz

Leave a comment:

• akgravelpumper
    replied
    soon you will need electronic test equiptment to work on any new marine motor. Our friends at the EPA are doing thier best to make sure of that. Speeking of the epa thir semissions standards are what have driven up the complexity of marine engines, especially 2 strokes. The 240 sportjets had awesome reliability, I have put over 600 hours on some without changing more than sparkplugs, they were thirsty and did not make the 2006 epa standards. I am also a fan of the good old iron inboard but sportjets have thier place, everyone has thier own preferences.

Leave a comment:

• KelvinG
    replied
    Originally posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    ..... Take care of it and it will take care of you. ...
    I do what I can, (and know about). One thing I've just started is adding QuickKleen to the fuel.

My one experience with a Mercury dealer in the valley was bad and I know Craig’s guys know the Optimax. So I haul the boat back to Compeaus for yearly service. (Sure wish I could talk Craig into starting a shop in the valley!)

Anyway, time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• moosemaster350
    replied
    everyone has jumped on the bandwagon because its a big fad,and it will pass leaving a lot of junk metal in its wake.I have owned both and consider the (outboard motor) inboard powered boat a total waste of money lots of problems and couldn't work on it without special tools and electronic test equipment, finally went back to a GM carburated 225 hp v6 with a 2-stage kodiak jet parts are cheap and I am at between 4 to 5 gph at 3500 rpm cruising at 32 to 35 mph 3/16 bottom can haul over 2000 lbs 3" water depth

Leave a comment:

• moosemaster350
    replied
    optimax problems not mentioned, with many years of experience with inboard jets

dating to pre 1977 I have either owned or have had first hand experience with both the two stroke and automotive engine powered boats, taking everything into consideration
    there are a whole lot more advantages to the chevy and ford power plants with freshwater cooling versus the outboard motors which run seawater through the powerhead with no positive sand strainer ,whatever goes thru the jetpump will enter the engine block;sand mud,grass,leaves, you cannot overheat a aluminum blocked engine too often without doing major damage,warped heads,blown head gaskets etc. the aluminum is lighter but you will pay a much higher price on repairs,as far as fuel economy goes the optimax 200 burns about twice what a chevy vortec 262 v6 will and the merc is a lot noisier and you still have the issues of a oil tank to keep full. if you can get more than 300 hrs on the optimax without a major rebuild you are one lucky guy,oh forget the stereo you couldnt hear it while running. just sayen

Leave a comment:

• akgravelpumper
    replied
    KelvinG, your motor can last more than 700 hours some pre 03 optimaxes, both outboard and sportjet seemed to have some issues, later than 03 have a better reputation. Take care of it and it will take care of you. There are no drop in replacements for the sportjet other than another sportjet. Boat builders use them because they work better than an outboard jet and take up less interior room and are lighter than a conventional inboard setup.
    There are a lot more good running sportjets than the www would lead you to believe. I have seen some past the magic 900 hr self destruct point
    The alternatives from other manufacturers are, jmax with 140 hp and smaller pump, or custom jetski powerplant installations. The next step up would be a weber or ecotec behind a smaller conventional pump ie. one or two stage Kodiak/Hami or a 7" Scott. from there you have ecotecs and other 4 cylinder motors, from there its v6s and full size v8s. Ecotecs (maybe 100 lbs more than sportjet) and aluminum v8s (560lbs )are good options to keep the weight down. As far as repowering your current sportjon when or if it grenades it would take some fabrication to put anything other than a sportjet back in

Leave a comment:

• KelvinG
    replied
    Being the proud owner of a 2007 SportJon with a 200hp Optimax I've been following this thread. Living remote I am putting about 100+ hours a year on mine and count on it to get the family home and back safely.

I started looking to see what Optimax alternatives are out there so I can replace mine when it goes belly-up at 700 hours. The answer I'm coming up with is not much.

Why are so many boat builders using them? The Mercury web site shows 18 different boat builders using the Optimax SportJet; Alumaweld, Alweld, Columbia, Harbercraft, Hewescraft, Jetcraft, Phantom, Sea Ark, SJX, Weldcraft, & Wooldridge being names I recognize.

If the Mercury Optimax inboards are such troublesome engines why aren’t their competitors offering alternatives? What are the alternatives?

Leave a comment:

• penguin
    replied
    I've had lots of trouble with my 150 Opti. Every season I seem to have a rather large repair bill. It might just be a lemon and others have been fine but I sure don't have a lot of confidence in it.

Leave a comment:

• akgravelpumper
    replied
    Originally posted by woundedknee View Post
    I asked the dealer about this and he told me that they are two different motors. (Forgive me if I get the exact numbers wrong but I think I will get his point across). He said that the 200 Opitmax outboard was a 3.5 liter and the 200 inboard was a 2.5 liter. The reason for the short life span is because the 2.5 liter is a suped up race engine that is kicking out the same horsepower as the 3.5 liter. Everything is lighter and faster but that comes at a price, that being a shorter life span.

The 200 sj is a 2.5l the 200 outboard is a 3.0l the 250 sj is a 3.0l, both 2.5 and 3.0l sj motors eat reeds

For what it is worth: The other thing he told me is try to find an owner of an SJ motor with over 700-900 hours. He said they usually sell and upgrade to something else before the motor goes belly up. I have tried and he is pretty accurate in his statement. I have found people with the boats but no one even close to the 7-900 mark let alone the half way mark.

!
    most boats see less than 100hrs a year

Leave a comment:

• tjm
    replied
    Originally posted by woundedknee View Post
    He stated that they should run in the same shallow water as the Extreme Shallow but at a premium. Any thoughts on this.
    I've owned both boats...there is currently no premium in price between the 2...the Extreme Shallow at the boat show was $400 more that the XL sport jet at the show...both equally equipped and dual axel trailers....where you can probably find a new extreme shallow cheaper is in the fall, I've seen the price at the local dealer drop quite a bit in september...

they are both great boats....the best way to decide is to run both of them and see the differences....you can't go wrong with either but there are differences...

Leave a comment:

• woundedknee
    replied
    Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
    Been following this thread for the last week and I know its mostly concerning Sport Jets, but wouldnt the same issues/ concerns apply to the Optimax outboards? Just wondering........
    I asked the dealer about this and he told me that they are two different motors. (Forgive me if I get the exact numbers wrong but I think I will get his point across). He said that the 200 Opitmax outboard was a 3.5 liter and the 200 inboard was a 2.5 liter. The reason for the short life span is because the 2.5 liter is a suped up race engine that is kicking out the same horsepower as the 3.5 liter. Everything is lighter and faster but that comes at a price, that being a shorter life span.

For what it is worth: The other thing he told me is try to find an owner of an SJ motor with over 700-900 hours. He said they usually sell and upgrade to something else before the motor goes belly up. I have tried and he is pretty accurate in his statement. I have found people with the boats but no one even close to the 7-900 mark let alone the half way mark.

I'm gonna test a few boats, SJ motors and outboards, and then make my decision. If the outboard is close in performance then thats the route I will probably choose. I original was thinking Wooldridge with a 175-200 outboard. The dealer thought that the Woolridge was a good boat but overpriced. He stated that they should run in the same shallow water as the Extreme Shallow but at a premium. Any thoughts on this. I do know that what ever boat I do choose will feel like a rocket compared to my heavy 90/65 4 stroke!

Leave a comment:

• dimrod
    replied
    Is there a manual that shows you how to change the reeds? My 2006 Optimax 200 has 175 hours on it. Should I be concerned yet? What other maintenance things need to be done besides changing the fuel filter, plugs, and pump oil? I run Quickleen in every tank.

Leave a comment:

• akgravelpumper
    replied
    Make sure to order the reed plate gaskets, when you swap oit the reeds clean the cages with solvent after you remove the stainless reeds, use locktite clean and prime on both the screws and reed cages, and be carefull on the torque on those little screws, an inch lb wrench or screwdriver is best

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X