Optimax 200 sportjet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent ya a PM
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Prior to that trip, the only water that had been introduced was via garden hose, is it possible for the water to travel from the hose tap to the intake pickup? And the boat had been sitting in a heated shop for two days after they ran test it with a hose? As far as the diagnostics, I guess that brings me back around, Is there anybody in Anchorage or close that can do that, is trustworthy, and is taking boats right now? Marita said they wont take boats until maybe the end of the month. Is sea and ski the only authorized/certified merc mechanics around?

Comment

just saw your last post, ususally the first thing you smell when you hae a cooling system problem on a sportjet is the exhaust hose burning, due to lack of cooling water injected into the exhaust. the exhaust hoses will usually burn in short order if the cooling system gets pluged the small hoses that feed the cooling to the exhaust can get plugged with sand or other objects. the other places to check are the large brass hosebarb on the stbd side near the bottom of the motor (actually on the adaptor plate) if you remove this fitting you will see it is actually a strainer and can get plugget with sand. the other place to check for blockage is behind the poppet valve plate (were the hose for the heater comes out of the motor), the poppet can get jammed up. when you run the motor on a hose water should run out the nozzel, the exhaust and the telltale.

Comment

Hey Thanks so much for all the input and pm's, and phone call! I believe I am breathing a little more normally after three weeks of stressing about my boat, motor, legal action, hassle, headache,heartbreak and missing the start of the season. The cause has yet to be determined, but now I am at least thinking it is not as serious as first thought. Thanks again and I'll be crossing my fingers for soft water soon!

Comment

fix it yet?

If not, here are a couple things you could check.
            1) pull the inlet hose off your heater's sand trap and see if you can blow air through.... this will tell you if you have a frozen heater line under your floor boards
            2) coming off the engine before the sand trap is a copper canister, this is your thermostat. Pull it off and check to make sure it isn't clogged with sand or frozen.

The Boat Shop told me that when I run in the winter I should re-route the hoses to bypass the heater, and just circulate the cooling water through the engine if Im leaving it in the water overnight. If those 2 checks dont find the problem, let me know. Theres other ways to figure out whats wrong. Good luck

Comment

I've got an appt. tomorrow. I will update when we find out what is up. Thanks again!

Comment

So when they ran tested the boat, they didn't take the time to drain the thermostat or the hose that goes into the inlet of the sandtrap. They gave me the boat back when it was 0 degrees outside, guess what happened. You guys were right. frozen lines, the motor didn't over heat, but the expansion chamber got so hot it melted the nylock nuts and gasket on the chamber. Luckily I didn't run it long enuff to cause any major damage. A new gasket and nuts, and I should be out on the water. Sort of. There is a port (For lack of a better description) that houses a poppet. The cover is missing, and it looks like a plastic plug is inside. Is there any way that this could be normal? the motor is a 2010, and neither I nor the killer mechanic I had edumakate me on this could figure it was ok.1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/halibutcollier/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
                The port is on the starboard side of the motor close to the hull about in the middle. any ideas, or did they lose the cover, and what the hell would thy need to get in there for:question::question::question:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2478988oops my bad

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me last September or so. My heater line was frozen, (I guess) and it got hot enough to melt the nylocks and the gasket blew out. I thought I was gonna lose the boat because it filled up with water really fast. Amazing how much water that thing can pump. Anyway, It's a fairly easy fix. If ya need a hand, let me know.

Rob
                    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                    MMSI# 338232859

Comment

I did it! I did it! I totally replaced the gasket under the expansion chamber, fixed the melted wiring, and installed a hi skew impeller all... wait for it, wait for it, all with out having ANY parts left over! (sorry, still a little nippy outside, must've got to the brain) Just for grins, here is a picture of the impeller my dealer told me was "extremely damaged" and "we can fix that impeller and liner for $1700"Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0253.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2479148

Comment

Originally posted by halibutcollier View Post
                        Just for grins, here is a picture of the impeller my dealer told me was "extremely damaged" and "we can fix that impeller and liner for $1700"[ATTACH=CONFIG]47786[/ATTACH]
                        damaged?....yes

Extremely?....not even close..

your 'dealer' could use a kick in the butt.......
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        pull my finger....

Comment

:shot:Or perhaps a "jetboat 101 class"
                          Just got to do the drive oil and I am ready, I can bring a tow strap on Saturday if you want to try.

Comment

Originally posted by halibutcollier View Post
                            I can bring a tow strap on Saturday if you want to try.
                            I'll shoot you a message after I check it out on Friday...
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            pull my finger....

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X