Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Boat Polishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aluminum Boat Polishing

    Does anyone know of a place to get your aluminum boats polished or detailed in Anchorage or the Mat Su?
    I know there used to be a place in Wasilla years ago, but I'm not sure if they are still in business.
    Every year try it with flitz, but I never get that mirror shine someone out there knows how to do it right because I see some boats out there that really shine. I just pulled the shrinkwrap off of my boat and it looks like H##@! l just dont have the time or energy to try it again.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Never considered it. The dullness is a good indicator of the surface corrosion that forms, then prevents further corrosion.

    There's a reason it comes back over time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BrianW
      Never considered it. The dullness is a good indicator of the surface corrosion that forms, then prevents further corrosion.

      There's a reason it comes back over time.
      Brian If the dullness was uniform it would be no big deal. When you shrinkwrap your boat and the wind blows all winter you get really ugly black marks where it has rubbed. I have used flitz in the past and the claim is that flitz put a protective film on the aluminum to prevent corrosion. I'd have to say its true because the water does bead up differently after it has been polished.

      Comment


      • #4
        I used to use Flitz on my wooldridge, and to get the mirror like shine, you have to use barely any of the Flitz. It may seem like nothing, but if you put too much on you will find yourself rubbing it in forever and it will be more dull. I would recommend spraying the boat down with Zep-a-lume before and get it nice and cleaned up. Then after that polish it up. Just zepalumed mine last weekend.

        Comment


        • #5
          griff,
          Is zep-alum the acid etching that you use before paint? Where is the cheapest place to buy?

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes its an acid spray that you spray on aluminum, let it sit for a few minutes and then spray off with water. No scrubbing or anything. If you do it, dont expect it to last. I would recommend possibly clear coating it afterwords or using the flitz to keep the clean look. After one trip in the water it looks like it did before i sprayed it down. I'm not sure where to get it, the guy i bought my boat from in Valdez gave me two gallons of it. I've heard it's hard to get in Anchorage though. If you do manage to use it, start spraying from the bottom or you will get streaks.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've gotten the acid wash from Napa in Fairbanks. I forget what they call it. I'm pretty sure you could get it in a gallon jug or a spray bottle. Truckers use it on their wheels.

              I wouldn't polish my boat. Way too much maintnace to keep it looking good.

              I like the natural look, just rinse the big stuff off once in a while. But I'm the same way with my truck. Each too his own.

              If you do polish it, I would look into Sharkhide. You apply it after you polish and it keeps it from oxidizing. I've never used the stuff. It will give you polish a little dull look, but it will last a lot longer than uncoated.

              http://www.sharkhide.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Love the Shark Hide!!!!!!.. It has done wonders to my boat.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know there are a couple of guys in the Anchorage area that polish aluminum but I don't know there names. Check with Horizon Lines in Anchorage. I know there drivers have someone do there tanks and wheels. I believe it is just a couple of guys working out of there house that come to your location.

                  I have had good luck with MetalWax. Seems to hold a shine longer than anything else I have tried but like everything else it takes a quite a bit of elbow grease to get the shine to start with.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't Polish Aluminum Boats!

                    Once the aluminum oxidizes it is protected from further corrossion. If you take that layer off it will oxidize again and again. For more information look at this discussion: http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat....page=0#1156391

                    The best for aluminum is no paint and no polish.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Us folks with fiberglass boats wished we had a boat that required less maintence to maintain the hull looking pretty.
                      You guys with the metal boats are now trying to making them look shiny.
                      I wish I could learn to not spend hours taking care of the appearance and go fishing more!!!
                      Cheers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Metal, fiberglass, plastic, etc. There is only one product that all the vintage trailer, boat and aircraft owners use, ROLITE it is FAA approved, that says a LOT, Puts a shine on Aluminum and restores fiberglass instantly. Easy on Easy off.
                        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Rolite

                          Is this product available in Anchorage?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dunno

                            Originally posted by SeaULater
                            Is this product available in Anchorage?
                            I have a can that I have been using for years. If someone finds a local source for it, Please post up for all of us. Thanks You will not believe the results.
                            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X