Are Any Fairbanks Ramps Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Any Fairbanks Ramps Open

Heading to Valdez in a few days and it would be nice to back the tub in and make sure it still runs before heading down. Pikes still has a 15 foot high pile of snow on the ramp - is there anywhere else open enough to back a boat in and start it without driving to Delta?

??

Isn't Delta on the way to Valdez?:rolleyes:

Comment

Driving around town, I haven't seen enough ice out to get anything in at a ramp location on the Chena. Nordale still has too much ice, 3rd street has overflow, but that's it; and Peger is still fairly well frozen at the ramp. The river is open behind it, but I wouldn't trust that ice to hold your rig trying to get to the river.

I haven't checked anywhere else as of yet. If you had a crane rented, you could lift it off the trailer and into the Chena where it's open behind the Carlson.

Comment

I've seen a couple places where it's open, but the water's too shallow to get a boat off the trailer.
        "We're all here cuz we're not all there" :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by skinnyriver View Post
          Isn't Delta on the way to Valdez?:rolleyes:
          Yes it is and that is always an option - I prefer to get the boat wet close to home for the first time each year just in case something unexpected comes up, I prefer to work in my yard.

However - If I don't get to start it here Valdez will do - after all it did run when I parked it!

Comment

Originally posted by AK DUX View Post
            I've seen a couple places where it's open, but the water's too shallow to get a boat off the trailer.
            I don't need to get it off the trailer - Just need to get the intake on an inboard in the water.

Comment

Lots and lots of ice melt will do the trick...Dont think the DEC would appreciate that so much!!
              "One Last Cast"

Comment

Water trough

I bought a water trough at Cold Spot feed for just that purpose. Slide it up under your sterndrive or outboard, fill it up and fire it up the motor (Don't put it in gear unless you want a bath). When your done the trough has a drain plug. Handy for washing the dog in summer, running a motor in spring etc. Sure saves a trip all the way to Valdez to find your water pump is shot, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tealer View Post
                  I bought a water trough at Cold Spot feed for just that purpose. Slide it up under your sterndrive or outboard, fill it up and fire it up the motor (Don't put it in gear unless you want a bath). When your done the trough has a drain plug. Handy for washing the dog in summer, running a motor in spring etc. Sure saves a trip all the way to Valdez to find your water pump is shot, etc.
                  Tough to do with the inboard!

Comment

Originally posted by rambling raven View Post
                    Tough to do with the inboard!
                    Have you phoned one of the boat dealers on the river?

Comment

How about one of these. A flush kit that you can use with a hose.
                      http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7
                      http://www.marineengine.com/products...php?in=2820458
                      It would be worth it for me. Would make getting all the salt out before leaving Valdez easier too. I like to run my boat before heading down as well.
                      Won't be long and the ramps will be open.

Good Luck

Steve
                      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Check with salcha. they had an escavator at the boat ramp last night.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                          How about one of these. A flush kit that you can use with a hose.
                          http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7
                          http://www.marineengine.com/products...php?in=2820458
                          It would be worth it for me. Would make getting all the salt out before leaving Valdez easier too. I like to run my boat before heading down as well.
                          Won't be long and the ramps will be open.

Good Luck

Steve
                          Cooling the motor isn't the problem - The jet has to be in the water so the cutlass bearings are wet - I can hook a garden hose up to the engine but the jet requires being disconnected or in the water. Removing the drive shaft is a pain.

Running out of patience with this snowing and freezing we have going on today -

I'll check into the salcha and if that isn't clear enough I still have 3 or 4 more days or else it will be cross the fingers and go for it.

Comment

I was in Delta last weekend and ran the clearwater, we didnt go all the way to the bridge, however I certainly could have.
                            But failed to check out the ramp into the Tanana at the bridge? Might be a possibility.
                            But forget about the Salcha, as some on else said there is some work in progress down in river w/ a excavator. at least as of last Sunday.
                            He who know nothing, still knows nothing

Comment

Boatel?

Compeau's?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X