Avalanche blocks way to Whittier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalanche blocks way to Whittier

We couldn't get through today and it sounds like we'll be lucky if it's cleared by Wednesday! Good thing there is still a couple of packages of shrimp in the freezer.

I thought all Alaskans....

were so broke in on their snow shovels by now a little avalanche wouldn't be a problem

Glad it came down before you went through, didn't hit you, or trap in on the Whittier side! We're all chomping at the bit to get out there and do something not associated with winter, hope you get through soon!

Comment

Just to clarify and make a little correction, It was a rock slide and NOT an avalanche. State is saying it should be cleared by wednesday. Rocks are to big for the machines the state has down there so there bringing in special machines that can handle the big boulders. One lady got really lucky. little rocks were raining down and she just got threw seconds later. Glad shes ok and home safely.

Comment

Dot currently says 4 to 7 days to clear the road

Comment

I know a couple of guys who went out Friday, a drag to be stuck in Whittier-could really run up a bar tab in three days there; would probable call in to work then fill up the tank and head back out.
          Won’t be heeded out tell next Saturday so should be open by then. Couple new pots and jigs hope to bring home some fresh rockfish and shrimp.
          Jay
          07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
          OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Was there today, state put the road clearing out this morning for bid.

Some rocks will have to be drilled then blasted. Equipment has to be brought in by rail due to wieght limits on the Seward highway. Going to be interesting, I do not see the road open by wednesday.

The gas line that runs right under the area poses some problems for blasting. Gotta love it.

Comment

No boating in Whittier Due to Rockslide 4/17&18&19/09

It's not likely you will get to whittier the next coming weekend they are telling us town folks that we are looking at 2 weeks maybe longer. Make sure you check out the DOT web site before traveling our way.

Comment

Well, the latest word from DOT for tentative reopening of the tunnel is Sunday the 19th, dang! Looks like Mother Nature through us another curve ball.
                http://www.dot.state.ak.us/comm/pressbox/arch_2009/PR09-2563.shtml
                Jay
                07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but this whole mess has made me so fricken sad! I had taken Friday off and planned on spending two days on the sound rippin' out the shrimp and fish. I had been planning this trip for about the last 3 months. The boat is in the driveway all geared up and ready for action...too bad there's no action to be had. I've decided to take Monday and Tuesday off in hopes of the tunnel being reopened for business, but I've got a crappy feeling that I may be SOL then as well.

Comment

I'm going to Seward to get my shrimp tomorrow. Nice alternative to Whittier.

Comment

Seward Shrimp - Take some Pics

Originally posted by kaisersosei View Post
                      I'm going to Seward to get my shrimp tomorrow. Nice alternative to Whittier.

Hey - be sure and post some pic's of the catch - I would be curious to know if the average size is bigger over there - in comparison to PWS.
                      How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Larsenvega View Post
                        I don't know about you guys, but this whole mess has made me so fricken sad! I had taken Friday off and planned on spending two days on the sound rippin' out the shrimp and fish. I had been planning this trip for about the last 3 months. The boat is in the driveway all geared up and ready for action...too bad there's no action to be had. I've decided to take Monday and Tuesday off in hopes of the tunnel being reopened for business, but I've got a crappy feeling that I may be SOL then as well.
                        I share your pain; my boat is also sitting ready to go. We were hoping to head out Saturday night but now that seems like a pipe dream.
                        Was hopping someone here may have insider news on road opining, the DOTs not commenting.
                        Jay
                        07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                        OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

I didn't think you were allowed to shrimp in Seward. Are you traveling around the corner?

Comment

Recent DOT release via ADN is road opening was pushed back to Wed of next week at earliest (4/22).

Best of luck to all those trying to get a long weekend in.

Comment

Train

Back in the day (before the tunnel widening) you loaded your truck & car on the train to get to Whittier. Can't you do that now?
                              We never really grow up, we only learn
                              how to act in public

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X