• jrogers
    replied
    On their web site they say:

APPROX. TOP SPEED W/ TWIN VOLVO D4S: 45 KNOTS

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jrogers
    replied
    I agree with powerpro about considering a used one. It is not just the skipper you have to worry about, but the clients that will not treat the boat with the same respect that you would. I would think after a year the new one would not look any different than if you bought a used one. As for the D6's, I think that boat is plenty fast with D4's, and 45 plus miles per hour. I don't know why you would want to spend the extra dollars to have this extra speed that could rarely be used.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• akfishnut
    replied
    Interesting Ad On The 30 foot

Just a little history and background data.

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/sanjuans.../19995494.html

Leave a comment:

• potbuilder
    replied
    45-60MPH ??? yeah get them to put it on paper(in the contract) and watch them backpeddle out of it.

Leave a comment:

• bhollis
    replied
    I've got a 30' SeaSport, and I've got to admit, the Ocean Roamer's got it beat. Very nice boat.

FWIW there's a 2005 Ocean Roamer for sale in Juneau:

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/lis...il.asp?key=743

Leave a comment:

• Powderpro
    replied
    No doubt they are the nicest fiberglass boat in their market, absolutely beautiful boats. IMC has an '08 34'er with about 550 hours for $269,000. If overall cost of the boat is a concern, then a slightly used one would be the way to save a lot of money. Over propping those Volvo engines to get an extra 3-5 mph is a good way to ruin a motor in a hurry and possibly void a warranty. 60 mph with 740 hp in a boat that large sounds real fishy to me, even if the boat were empty of fuel, water, gear, and you were traveling with the wind.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanSD
    replied
    Good points - and yes, I've spoke with both Jim and Brian down there, and completely empty with a higher pitch prop than practical in normal operating conditions, they've exceeded 60mph with the 34' with the twin D6s. Obviously all I can go off of is their word - I haven't actually experience that performance.

Of course the more realistic figures are 45mph cruise and a 55mph top speed with a couple friends, fuel, and a practical prop pitch.

I didn't get the actual pitches they tested. Regardless, they're solid performers.

Leave a comment:

• Powderpro
    replied
    Finding a business partner (skipper) who will treat your boat exactly the way you treat it would be tough, I would think. I would be real hesitant turning over the keys to a $400k+ fiberlgass boat to anyone. Another thing to consider is the added liability exposure you have when customers get on your boat. I would really pencil out the potential income and benefits before taking on that much liability. As a side note, I would be shocked if that 34'er went 60 mph with twin 370 hp diesels, I believe the projected top speed on the 30' was 45 mph, which in my opinion is being very generous. That's a big boat that grabs a lot of air, I don't see that 34' doing more than 40-45 mph completely empty. Did a salesman tell you 60 mph?

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanSD
    started a topic Ocean Sport Roamer 34...charter

Ocean Sport Roamer 34...charter

So, I've been kicking the idea around of picking up a Roamer in the next couple years. But I really have a tough time justifying a $400-500K boat just for pleasure.

I would probably only use it 15 times a summer or so realistically, and in addition, recouping some expenses the tax write offs would be advantageous as well.

I have no desire to personally run a six pack charter though - but what do you think is the feasibility of finding a captain to lease your "personal" boat from to make a buck and offset the expense of your toys?

The two biggest downsides I could see are scheduling - sometimes you just can't schedule good weather, but the charter would HAVE to be able to plan in advance for bookings. Then when a gorgeous weekend came along, you can't even use your own boat because some yuppies from Philly are trying to hook a 'but and knocking back some cold ones on YOUR deck.

Second is just equipment wear and tear, however, if you captain is close to as anal as you are, I don't think this would be a huge issue.

As to the Roamer, there's really no other Fiberglass boats out there as nice. With the twin D6 - 370's, empty I could hit 60mph. I'd also put a 1200lb davit on the stern for loading and unloading toys/building materials from the deck. And my wife would like the interior amenities - no other small boat is able to incorporate the quarter berth stateroom under the dinette.

But I'm getting off track - any feedback would appreciated as to ways to earn some income from personal toys.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X