New Wooldridge Pilot model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wooldridge Pilot model

Wooldridge is expanding there line of Pilot models this spring. With all the requests Grant Wooldridge received for larger boats at this years boat show here they have decided to offer a larger line of the pilots. The bottom will be 8ft x1/4 with a 9.6 beam and 28'9 ft long. There will be an extra foot in width in the cabin, as well as more storage and additional wood cabinet doors, wood trim accents with storage space above the side windows.
    They are offering rear door panels under the fish box in the transom and a cool Delorean style front hatch. This hatch is a sky lite for light in the cuddy, then opens up with 2 gas cylinders for access to the bow, not just a square hatch, but it contours with the cuddy top kind of like an L shape for those that would rather not reach the bow of the boat by way of the walk around sides. They can build this same hull style in a smaller boat was well but the 28'9 fits on the EZ Loader aluminum trailer they have been using. I will try and get some pics soon.

Sounds nice!

If I could have afforded it I'd have gone with the Wooly Pilothouse, I really liked the interior layout of it in addition to the good boat design.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Comment

Wooldridge pilot 29

Here is the new boat,just a few pics of it in progress. You can see the cut out for the door to the bow. Looks like this door should be really easy to use in bad weather or if you just don't like to use the walk around sides. I will post more when it gets farther along.

Comment

Looks like a great boat...

but I see one drawback to the front hatch design; it's almost perpendicular (not quite) to the deck and thus will take quite a whacking from seas over the bow. I'd think that I would not want to be out in a pretty rough sea, which kinda makes me think twice about buying a big boat like that (big boats should handle rough seas with no weak links like this IMO).
        I guess you could get the glass thicker (I have a glass co.) but doubt it's more than 3/16 or 1/4 tempered. Maybe polycarbonate.
        The hatch design would make this boat un-doable in the middle rip in Cook Inlet; also how fast could you empty the water pouring into the cuddy? I'd have no problem with the boat (assuming they have a self-bailing deck) but would order it without the "weakest link". Kinda surprising since I'd think the guys at Wooldridge would've been out in truly nasty conditions before.
        Jim
        Last edited by Big Jim; 04-03-2009, 08:25. Reason: added comment
        Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

Bow hatch

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
          but I see one drawback to the front hatch design; it's almost perpendicular (not quite) to the deck and thus will take quite a whacking from seas over the bow. I'd think that I would not want to be out in a pretty rough sea, which kinda makes me think twice about buying a big boat like that (big boats should handle rough seas with no weak links like this IMO).
          I guess you could get the glass thicker (I have a glass co.) but doubt it's more than 3/16 or 1/4 tempered. Maybe polycarbonate.
          The hatch design would make this boat un-doable in the middle rip in Cook Inlet; also how fast could you empty the water pouring into the cuddy? I'd have no problem with the boat (assuming they have a self-bailing deck) but would order it without the "weakest link". Kinda surprising since I'd think the guys at Wooldridge would've been out in truly nasty conditions before.
          Jim
          Jim
          Diamond Sea-Glaze is building the frame work and glass for this bow hatch. Here is their reply to the question regarding glass strength of their products.

>Hi Glen
          > In response to questions regarding glass strength:
          >
          > Diamond/Sea-Glaze Mfg. Has provided literally thousands of forward
          > windshields with 1/4" tempered glass to companies such as Nordic Tugs,
          > Munson Boats, Safeboats (homeland security contract) Aluminum Chambered
          > Boats and many others without any reported glass blow-outs. Some testing
          > has been done and results can be forwarded at your request.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Kim Parley
          > DSG

Comment

Dear Lord

Please grant me the funds to buy this sweet boat.
            A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Comment

Just wondering

How much is this beauty going to list for? Looks nice.

Comment

29 pilot

The boat is at $138,000.00 and change now as it can still have some additional changes made in the set up, stock boat for the show room. The boat is 29 ft now with a higher wing on the bow so it grew a few inches longer from the first post.This price includes the pilot house package sink/ Wallas 2 burner stove=cook top/fridge/stand up head/Webasto secondary heater with 2 defrosters and heat into the cuddy. The boat will have an external fill through the gunnell fuel tank for the stoves so no mess in the cabin when refueling, and a set of storage drawers behind the dinette. Twin Yam 150 with stainless props and counter rotators set up, EZ Loader aluminum trailer. As with this one all the boats they build can be custom built to your specs. Here is the front bow hatch getting fitted before it hits the paint booth.

Comment

That is nice!!

Mike
                  Mike Miller
                  www.MillerMarineProducts.com

Comment

Sportdrifter,

1/4 tempered glass is as common as sliced bread. It has approximately 4 times the impact resistance of annealed/plate/float glass. Been in the glass business for 22 yrs and own our own residential & commercial glazing business. I know that glass can take quite a hit but due to the close proximity of the forward deck/anchor area, it doesn't seem too unlikely an event that during a rough sea, someone up there handling the anchor, chain, etc. could impact the glass. I know glass & boats and that situation right there (I'm sure you could order the boat without the glass hatch?) waves big red flags with dollar signs. To each his own. Broken-in 1/4" tempered glass boat windshields are not that all uncommon and thus the reason that most of the locally made boats here (Hawaii) utilize laminate glass for windshields. Laminated safety glass (like your car/truck windshield) would be better in that it would stay pretty much intact even if broken (how many broken windshields are there in Alaska?) Tempered glass, when broken explodes into thousands of small pieces. Think about it; why would they use laminate glass for a winshield and not tempered?
                    The ultimate I would think would be what is required for skylight glazing: a combination of tempered/laminated glass, giving you the best of both worlds.
                    Jim
                    PS---this bow hatch is not a "forward facing windshield" as stated by DSG. Also, windshields are mounted much higher in the superstructure, giving more elevation away from waves, not virtually at foward deck level, and windshields are not mounted in a mostly horizontal or vertical position (unless you're driving a semi-truck!). Please build mine without the hood scoop, thanks!
                    Last edited by Big Jim; 04-10-2009, 22:33. Reason: added info
                    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

29 Pilot

Here are some recent pics, just out of the paint booth a bit behind schedule. Luke the welder was sick for a week or so. On these boats only one guy welds up the boats so there are no mistakes in the building process. They don't have a bunch of guys welding on them at once, heck they only have 20 people at the whole shop including office help.

Comment

Here is what the interior will look like, this is a stock 26ft model they have at the shop "not sold yet". The rear doors accross the transom are lockable now and they went to a lighter carpet inside with more wood accents.

Comment

I hope they rethink that hatch. Or, I hope the buyer never handles a large anchor up on the front deck. That's a serious problem.

Comment

I really like the boat, but unfortunately in this economy I do not have that kind of money at my disposal. I am still pinching my pennies so that some day I can afford to lay down some money on a 23' SS Offshore walkthrough with a hard top.

Really sweet boat though. You know for kicks someone who can afford $130k on a boat can probably afford to fuel twin Yamaha 350s now THAT would be a rocket!!! But part of the Wooldridge appeal is that their construction allows them to be strong and light, and therefore fuel efficient and not needing a lot of HP.

Sobie2

Comment

Hatch

You can order it with out the hatch if you would like. I see Hewes Craft is installing a Diamond Sea glaze hatch in the bow as well. Has anyone had problems with theirs ?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X