• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry!

Right you are... I'm bad with names...

Comment

rhorn,
      That wrap around the windlass head(i have a different name for it ) that you spoke of is called a "riding turn" in the lobstah' biz and they happen because the rope going on to the head is not fairled onto the head correctly and thats what makes using that type of hauler so dangerious, you can't take your eyes off of it for a second. When i first started lobstering i had a 8hp briggs w/a 15 to 1 reduction and a 10" winch head all driven by a #50 chain, good thing it had a clutch built on to it cause when you got a riding turn on that rig and things started fetching up stuff just broke or bent. One thing i don't see on any of the smaller gas rigs are clutches and/or even talk of remote mounted kill switches which could save somebody from seriously getting hurt if a piece of clothing or hand/finger got caught in the rope. I even worried about my hair (when i had some!!) getting caught up in those which heads back when i lobstered.
      One last thing about those small whinch heads, i think them being so small in diameter puts a twist into your rope if you don't keep a eye on whats going on.
      Potbuilder, thanks for the terminology education. I learn something new all the time and have a long way to go. It was a 2 person show to make the engine puller work, I really liked it but had utmost respect for it. 1 hand with clip and line attached to pulling line to guide it onto the windlass head and the other on the throttle/shutoff with the other person pulling/coiling the line. Even then things would go foul and everyone scattered. Fortunately nobody lost fingers/hands or got any loose clothing caught up in the mess. Your lobstah puller sounds like a real monster that could be devastating if you got caught up. Gives you a great appreciation and respect for moving parts/lines and the devastation they could inflict. Couldn't imagine getting my hair caught!!!

Comment

Potbuilder, you still have plenty of hair that could get caught - it's just at the bottom of your head . If I'm feeling better this weekend, I'm gonna try and get out to that gun show and see you. Yeah - I'll have my checkbook with me .

Dave

Comment

No to pot pullers

please read PWS shrimping in trouble
          there you will find out that comfish is trying to stop ALL us of All types of pot pullers Please read and send your thought to the address on the sight

Comment

Originally posted by bushboy View Post
            Potbuilder, you still have plenty of hair that could get caught - it's just at the bottom of your head . If I'm feeling better this weekend, I'm gonna try and get out to that gun show and see you. Yeah - I'll have my checkbook with me .

Dave
            Dave
            Hope your feeling better and looking forward to meeting you (even if you forget your checkbook).
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...