catamarans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    One thing I have found is when the waves get bigger, you have to zig and zag a bit more to get to your destination. Depending on the wave direction...sometimes you can hit them pretty straight on, but sometimes you have to zig if they are coming at the wrong angle. I would say this is the biggest downfall to the catamaran. But, the positive advantages out way this is my opinion....as there are always trade-offs!!

AkBillyBow

I'll agree with that one. On the tomcat a 3 foot wave, maybe 4 is about as big as we can go straight into. Anything bigger than that it pounds so you have to zig zag. If the seas are following, we've gone in some 4-5 footers at 28mph just fine, but heading into them is a different story.

And I think we saw you guys last summer our first time out. Sometime in August out by night island. Good lookin boat you got there

Comment

How about a 34' glaciercraft with triple 250 4 strokes?
      Redleader standing by

Comment

Originally posted by redleader View Post
        How about a 34' glaciercraft with triple 250 4 strokes?
        Are you talking about this one: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1023903868.html

I have been through this boat. Lots of room, lots of bells and whistles, and lots of speed. The sound system will rival any teenagers. I think a pair of F350's would be a better match than the trips, but they were not available yet.
        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
          Are you talking about this one: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1023903868.html

I have been through this boat. Lots of room, lots of bells and whistles, and lots of speed. The sound system will rival any teenagers. I think a pair of F350's would be a better match than the trips, but they were not available yet.
          Yes thats it, Iwasn't planning on that big a boat allthough isn't bigger better and canyou ever have to much HP? Glaciercrafts boat show discount runs through the end of this week I had them price out a 28' pretty well set up and the price seemed pretty reasonable, what size is your boat and how do you like it? were they good to work with?
          Redleader standing by

Comment

Originally posted by redleader View Post
            Yes thats it, Iwasn't planning on that big a boat allthough isn't bigger better and canyou ever have to much HP? Glaciercrafts boat show discount runs through the end of this week I had them price out a 28' pretty well set up and the price seemed pretty reasonable, what size is your boat and how do you like it? were they good to work with?
            He calls mine a 29x10, but she ended up being over 30. Last year was our first season on the water after being off the water for two. These boats handle the snot better than any other I have been on. If it were me, I would make an offer on CL boat. It may be a "pink elephant" with the trips. I suspect that the price is negotiable nad then you could be on the water this spring.
            sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by griff View Post
              I'll agree with that one. On the tomcat a 3 foot wave, maybe 4 is about as big as we can go straight into. Anything bigger than that it pounds so you have to zig zag. If the seas are following, we've gone in some 4-5 footers at 28mph just fine, but heading into them is a different story.

And I think we saw you guys last summer our first time out. Sometime in August out by night island. Good lookin boat you got there

Griff....thanks!! I am sure that was me. We were down around the west and south / west side of Night then. Not too many boats look like mine, so it is hard to hide or blend in!!

Later...AkBillyBow
              2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Comment

Cats are the way to go if you want the smoothest ride possible. I ran my aluminum 27' cat on PWS for 7 years and loved it. As far as the zig and zag you cats are talking about, my experience is that yes when I was in 4-6' waves I would quarter them on the bow for less pounding and sneezing. I do the same though in mono hulls. Who wants to get beat to death running straight on. For a following sea It gave me an uneasy feeling to have large seas quartered on my stern so I would adjust to take on a direct following sea and could take 6-7' waves just fine. All boats no matter whether mono or cat you need to adjust course when the seas get big. As far as aluminum vs glass both have the advantage disadvantage thing. Aluminum is cold and sweats badly where as glass does not. But I could take my aluminum cat up into the glacier ice with no worrys at all or drop someone off on the beach with it no worries. I would never let it go dry though because at 5 ton gw if you don't see that one sharp rock under the hull you could puncture it. Aluminum is not as some think indestructable however the few times I hit beach ball size Ice growlers on step at 20plus knots I was **** glad I had a stout aluminum hull.
                Last edited by fishinslut; 02-22-2009, 17:23. Reason: missed part of last sentence

Comment

I sold my aluminum cat and went aluminum monohull. Will miss the ride but wont miss the goofy snap roll when fishing on anchor and quirky handling in quartering seas.

Comment

I do a lot of fishing on anchor, has anybody else had negative experience with cats?
                    Redleader standing by

Comment

I have never had any issues fishing on anchor...do it most of the time. The only issue I see is the quartering seas "slapping" the pontoon and giving you an "uneasy" feeling of being tippy, as the catamaran does not "lean" into the waves as you turn, but remains flat on the top of the water.

I think it is just "different" and takes some getting use to. You kind of feel an outside pitching or rolling felling during a corner instead of the inward leaning you get from a V hull.

To me it is just different, but I would not give up all of the positives of the catamaran for this. I'm keeping my cat....that's for sure. Didn't want you to think I was knocking them...just stating some differences that you may not know about. The pros of the catamaran definitely out way the cons....in my opinion.

AkBillyBow
                      2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Comment

the cats do act different then a monohul while fishing sometimes. just depends on the weather. We generaly fish on the drift and sometimes you get some waves hitting the side of the boat and instead of the boat leaning, and swaying back and forth, it kind of wobbles randomly....its hard to explain, but its just something you have to get used to.

And yes, when you turn in a cat, you kind of get the feeling you are going to fly out of your seat, rather then get forced into it like a mono hull. Its a strange feeling also, lol. Just things to get used to, becuase the ride and the stability is worth every little "problem."

Comment

Armstrong Sea Trials

I was looking at cats last year and got a notice from Armstrong they're having a special sea trial event. If you're in Seattle area and want to look at the Armstrong Cats, the sea trial event planned March 12-14.

http://www.armstrongmarine.com/Home/...6/Default.aspx

Sounds like they're trying to ply you with free booze to loosen up the wallet too, so check it out. I didn't see anything on the website about it so contact them if interested.

Comment

I've been running a 32' twin diesel Maxcat for years, no regrets! It's fast smooth, stable, and economical. Some cat hulls are much better than others, and the Glacier Bays are displacement instead of planing. Ride a few before you commit to one brand. I want to move up to a 36' inspected Maxcat, so mine is for sale right now. Pass the word!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X