Cellular Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellular Antenna

Have been thinking about installing a cellular antenna on the boat for (hopefully) increased range in PWS. Has anyone done this and if so, how much of an impact on range/clarity did it have? Initial thought is that this could have a decent impact.

The first thing you need is good service. ACS or Copper Valley. I have a Digital Anntenna with the cable adapter. I have receive calls at over 50 miles out in the Gulf and all over PWS. The main anntenna is located on Naked Island.

Comment

They work good

I have one on my boat, just a $50 radio shack deal. Gives me bars where I have none without it, definetly worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Buck View Post
        Have been thinking about installing a cellular antenna on the boat for (hopefully) increased range in PWS. Has anyone done this and if so, how much of an impact on range/clarity did it have? Initial thought is that this could have a decent impact.
        I added a Wilson omnidirectional antenna this spring and I get signal where I normally do not. Captaindd is spot on. You need to have either ACS or Copper Valley to get signal off the Naked Island tower. If I am not mistaken, Captaindd is running an amplifier with his setup, too. I am just running the antenna, but will probably add the amplifier this season. I purchased mine at Frigid North off of Spenard, here in Anchorage. They carry the amps, too. Here is a thread talking about this very thing: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29295
        Last edited by spoiled one; 01-21-2009, 09:47. Reason: add something
        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

I had a combo VHF / Cellular on mine and it worked great right up to the time I put the boat on the trailer and pulled under the cover at the gas pump with it still up - it didn't work so well after that.

Comment

Rambling Raven

I thought I was the only one who did that???!!!! Thanks for sharing.
            http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...gpic3804_1.gif

Comment

Originally posted by rambling raven View Post
              I had a combo VHF / Cellular on mine and it worked great right up to the time I put the boat on the trailer and pulled under the cover at the gas pump with it still up - it didn't work so well after that.
              I went through the Whittier tunnel with my VHF antenna up. It reaches 22'+/-. I realized just as I entered the tunnel. Fortunately it cleared. I have not forgotten since.
              Last edited by spoiled one; 01-21-2009, 13:22. Reason: fat fingered the keys
              sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

I have my boat to help eliminate phone use. If it was bigger I would use it for an anchor.

Comment

Oops!

Originally posted by Soundfisher View Post
                  I thought I was the only one who did that???!!!! Thanks for sharing.
                  Is that anything like backing your, meaning my, boat into a tree? Felt like a dunce, not sure if getting older has anything to do with clutz or not???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comment

I did it too!!

I went through the tunnel with my VHF antenna up too. It was my second time through with my new boat. I remembered and the panic hit about 200 yards from the end. It didnt touch a thing. I have a plasticized check list now, both for launching and retrieving. Forgetting something as simple as raising the outdrive can be very expensive.
                    sigpicWhat-a-Day
                    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
                    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
                    Denny

Comment

Southeast?

Interesting thread, thanks for posting. After reading, but not understanding most of it, does anyone have an idea of how this might work in the Wrangell-Prince Of Wales area? Sure would be easier, and cheaper! than a satellite phone.

Comment

You'll have to check with your service provider to see where they have cell sites.

I started with ACS just to have coverage in the sound. Even without an external antenna I'm suprised at the areas I've been able to make and recieve calls.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

So it looks like I'm SOL with AT&T

Very good thread here. Allot of good info.
                          Living the Alaskan Dream
                          Gary Keller
                          Anchorage, AK

Comment

sGCI is extending its coverage area and it looks as though they'll cover PWS by this fall as well.
                            <)))><
                            Live to fish, fish to live...

Comment

Many thanks for the information - much appreciated! I currently have service with ACS and reception (with no external antenna) has been spotty. I'll take up Spoiled One's advice and head over to Frigid North - they're a class A outfit. Appreciate the link to the other thread.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X