Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    In 2015 we had 550". 2016 was 450". It has been dropping to where we only get around 200". But you never know. This year so far, maybe 6".
    That's a lot of snow. You guys get a ton down there!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
      I’ve stayed at that cabin in May. We anchored the boat out.
      What is the bottom like there? Would you suggest a Danforth, Bruce, Plow, or another style of anchor?

Comment

Originally posted by akfisher84 View Post

What is the bottom like there? Would you suggest a Danforth, Bruce, Plow, or another style of anchor?

The bottom immediately in front of the cabin's beach landing area is broken, loose shale with poor holding. A little farther out in 80-100' is a small bench of clay with reasonably good holding. If you're going to use a pulley system you'll be closer in, but your anchor will be pulling upslope toward the beach and the winds in there are typically pretty light.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
          The bottom immediately in front of the cabin's beach landing area is broken, loose shale with poor holding. A little farther out in 80-100' is a small bench of clay with reasonably good holding. If you're going to use a pulley system you'll be closer in, but your anchor will be pulling upslope toward the beach and the winds in there are typically pretty light.
          I guess I can add that the distance from the high tide line to the low tide line is close to 200'.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Thank you for the info!

Comment

I guess I can add that the distance from the high tide line to the low tide line is close to 200'.
              Definitely good to know! I assumed with how quickly it drops off that anchoring 150ft out from high tide would keep me in the safe zone. Maybe 200-225ft is a safer bet. I wish we were going to arrive at low tide so i could get a feel for how low it will go, but we will be showing up near high tide.

Comment

The Harbor Master has tide books and there is a television screen near the ladies restroom that has tidal and weather information posted. Valdez Outfitters kitty corner also has tide books and bait.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by akfisher84 View Post
                  Definitely good to know! I assumed with how quickly it drops off that anchoring 150ft out from high tide would keep me in the safe zone. Maybe 200-225ft is a safer bet. I wish we were going to arrive at low tide so i could get a feel for how low it will go, but we will be showing up near high tide.

That's the McAllister Creek alluvial flat, so not a steep to shoreline. You're booked for the night of the 29th? The tidal swing during that period isn't predicted to be as broad then as it could be...but 150' out from the beach grass line you'll probably still go dry for a few hours. Just be wary of the creek channel. There are some larger rocks there that can leave you at a bad angle if you go dry and vulnerable to swamping on the incoming tide.

Comment

Had a whole couple of paragraphs of response to this thread just disappear Guess I’m done trying to post on this site.
                    sorry, just takes to much for me put it into words and then have it disappear.

my family and I had a memorable time camping at the head of Galena Bay years ago. I wrote about it here for others to appreciate but it vaporized. Not sure what happened. Probably on my end.

Comment

• admin
                      admin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We apologize that your posts were lost! Are you using Tapatalk, phone or desktop? We would like to address any issues and/or assist in finding a solution to whatever you are running into. Posting should be easy, and as long as you "submitted" posts should not disappear. If it was an error on our end, we would like to know as well. (We were performing some upgrades this past week, but did not anticipate that affecting posting.)
                      Please PM admin or email outdoorsdirectory09@gmail.com if you would like to do so.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X