Shoup Bay Mcallister Cabin in Late May/Early June

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Attention Alaska Artisans and Product Manufacturers!

If you are an Alaska-based Artisan, Crafstman, Author, or Product Manufacturer, or any local business offering products available for sale, we welcome you to add a listing to the AOS Directory. Basic listings are free, and include a summary of your business, physical address, 1 photo and an email address.
Paid listings are being offered through a special promotion: $150/year includes a Featured Directory listing, a link to your website, phone number, email address and a forum welcome announcement linked to your directory listing. We look forward to presenting Alaska products to our audience! Please send an email message to customerservice@alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com if you would like to submit your listing or receive additional information.
Click arrow in top right corner for next announcement.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoup Bay Mcallister Cabin in Late May/Early June

I plan on boating from Valdez to Mcallister Cabin in Shoup Bay at the end of May for a few days. This will be my first time there, and I'm looking for any advice, reviews, or photos you've taken of Shoup Bay or the Cabin.

I'll be in my 21ft Custom Weld jet, anchoring off shore using a pulley system to pull by boat in to shore/out to a bouy so I don't find myself high and dry at low tide.

Any awesome photos, advice, etc is all appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

There should be a picture of it on the FS rental page. Has a nice beach. Anchorage is really good as it is seldom windy in there. I've dropped 4-5 groups off there but have never gone in to take a look around. There is another cabin across the bay on the outlet stream but it is a little hike back in there. Again, I've dropped people off there only and picked people up hiking Shoup Bay trail. Book it early as you are allowed because that is bear season and it might get rented quickly. If you plan on baiting bears remember you have to be 1 mile away from each cabin and Shoup Bay trail 1/4 mile away from that.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      There should be a picture of it on the FS rental page. Has a nice beach. Anchorage is really good as it is seldom windy in there. I've dropped 4-5 groups off there but have never gone in to take a look around. There is another cabin across the bay on the outlet stream but it is a little hike back in there. Again, I've dropped people off there only and picked people up hiking Shoup Bay trail. Book it early as you are allowed because that is bear season and it might get rented quickly. If you plan on baiting bears remember you have to be 1 mile away from each cabin and Shoup Bay trail 1/4 mile away from that.
      Thank you for the reply! I have seen a couple photos on the rental page, but just seeing if anyone else has more photos I have it reserved for Memorial Day Weekend, and was surprised it was still available. I did rent/reserve it a month or so ago, so relatively early I guess.
      Good to hear that it's seldom windy in the bay. Anchoring off shore makes me a bit nervous, as I'm new to it.

Comment

Many people also drop pots on the way in/out of the shoal on the Port Valdez side in 300-350. Don't cut the corner too tight going in either. A jet you should be fine. But a prop I'd be 1/3rd of the way over the width of the entrance. Take a gold pan for the kids. At one time there was a mine up the creek to the right side of the cabin. You never know.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          Many people also drop pots on the way in/out of the shoal on the Port Valdez side in 300-350. Don't cut the corner too tight going in either. A jet you should be fine. But a prop I'd be 1/3rd of the way over the width of the entrance. Take a gold pan for the kids. At one time there was a mine up the creek to the right side of the cabin. You never know.
          I will be bringing pots for sure; another new experience for the family and I. Good call on the gold pans too, thank you!
          Thank you as well for the info on not cutting thr corner too tight on the way in. Even though I'll be in a jet, I'll play it safe the first time and be at least 1/3 of the way over before cutting in. Thanks again for the info!

Comment

We stayed at a FS cabin in Shoup years ago and I can't remember the name. It was fairly new at the time and a nice cabin. We rented sea kayaks out of Valdez and paddled out there. It was a fun trip. There is a kittywake rookery out there and, at the time, a nesting pair of bald eagles. Every day around 2pm the place would go nuts when one of the eagles went on the hunt and would snatch a kittywake for lunch. Memorial weekend might be early for that though.

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post
              We stayed at a FS cabin in Shoup years ago and I can't remember the name. It was fairly new at the time and a nice cabin. We rented sea kayaks out of Valdez and paddled out there. It was a fun trip. There is a kittywake rookery out there and, at the time, a nesting pair of bald eagles. Every day around 2pm the place would go nuts when one of the eagles went on the hunt and would snatch a kittywake for lunch. Memorial weekend might be early for that though.
              That is awesome! How long did it take you to paddle there? The only experience I have with kayaks is our cheap sit-on-top kayaks, and they're tipsy and slow. I'd imagine sea kayaks are a lot more efficient!

Comment

This might be a good place/time to make folks aware that Shoup Bay is a sensitive natural area and a State Marine Park. The inner bay has a speed limit of 5 MPH, and aircraft, airboats, hovercraft, hydroplanes, jet skis are prohibited. Please don't disturb the black-legged kittiwake rookery.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                  This might be a good place/time to make folks aware that Shoup Bay is a sensitive natural area and a State Marine Park. The inner bay has a speed limit of 5 MPH, and aircraft, airboats, hovercraft, hydroplanes, jet skis are prohibited. Please don't disturb the black-legged kittiwake rookery.
                  Good call. I appreciate the information!

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                    Hey, it wasn't us disturbing the kittywakes.

Comment

I’ve stayed at that cabin in May. We anchored the boat out. There was 8’ of snow still on the ground behind the cabin. All you could see was the roof of the outhouse! You need to haul heating oil in for the stove to heat the cabin. There are lots of birds in there, including Rufous Hummingbirds!

Comment

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
                        I’ve stayed at that cabin in May. We anchored the boat out. There was 8’ of snow still on the ground behind the cabin. All you could see was the roof of the outhouse! You need to haul heating oil in for the stove to heat the cabin. There are lots of birds in there, including Rufous Hummingbirds!
                        Dang! What part of May was there that much snow? Is it typically thinning down by the end of May, or still pretty deep?

Comment

Originally posted by akfisher84 View Post
                          Dang! What part of May was there that much snow? Is it typically thinning down by the end of May, or still pretty deep?

Typically that cabin is completely snow free by the end of May.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

In 2015 we had 550". 2016 was 450". It has been dropping to where we only get around 200". But you never know. This year so far, maybe 6".

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Awesome. We can handle the snow, but want to be prepared. Glad to hear it's typically snow free by then. We will be there 3 nights, and it looks like the temps have been in the low 40's to mid/upper 50's that weekend for the last couple years. Although "chilly", it will be much welcomed coming out of our Fairbanks winter temperatures! I think I'll bring 5 gallons of heating oil for the stove, as we don't tend to keep our living space super warm, and the website says to estimate 1-2 gallons per day depending on temps.

My worst fear is getting all the way down to Valdez (from Fairbanks) that weekend, and having the weather turn to crap. I guess we will cross that road if/when it happens.

Hoping to get into a king or two that weekend as well.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X