Overnight Anchoring near Polly Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Anchoring near Polly Creek

Anyone have any experience overnighting near Polly Creek? Any recommendations as to good locations? Looking for a safe place to drop the hook and hang out for the next day's clamming tide (28' Kingfisher). Thanks in advance!
    Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Tuck into Tuxedni Channel. Or go farther up Tuxedni Bay on the North Side, just watch your depths up there. Tenders use to come way up there and overnight, just watch for mudflats and bars.

Comment

Used to anchor on the beach north of there. Pounded a sharpened birch stake in with a line wrapped around it with a buoy on the line. Tie the bow line off and let it go dry.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

When I commercial fished there we "dryed-up" the boats all the time. There are some rocks on the flats there so you have to be careful. As the Cap't said, Tuxedni is a good place to anchor up and boat camp. You can anchor closer but you'd have to watch the wind some. There is a small Island between Polly and Crescent that you can hide behind (becarefull of shallow water), and there is Chisik Island.

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post
          When I commercial fished there we "dryed-up" the boats all the time. There are some rocks on the flats there so you have to be careful. As the Cap't said, Tuxedni is a good place to anchor up and boat camp. You can anchor closer but you'd have to watch the wind some. There is a small Island between Polly and Crescent that you can hide behind (becarefull of shallow water), and there is Chisik Island.
          I had the pleasure of working with and staying at Harvey Thompsons sites a couple of summers a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I had the pleasure of working with and staying at Harvey Thompsons sites a couple of summers a long time ago.
            I fished set net sites and ran the boats for the Swiss's, we clammed all summer too. I also guided brown bear, moose and caribou hunters for them for fifteen years. Boy, those were the good old days. The Swisses own the buildings right at Polly Creek. They were good people. I don't think I ever met the Thompsons.

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post

I fished set net sites and ran the boats for the Swiss's, we clammed all summer too. I also guided brown bear, moose and caribou hunters for them for fifteen years. Boy, those were the good old days. The Swisses own the buildings right at Polly Creek. They were good people. I don't think I ever met the Thompsons.
              Thompson was a mile or 2 up the beach from Polly creek on another small creek.

Comment

Harvey Thompson was a Native man from Anchorage. He tended bar downtown during the non fishing season. He operated with wood skiffs he built himself. Typically plank bottoms and plywood sides. Ran twin outboards with tiller handles. Was interesting to be in a boat with him as he had a tiller in each hand and made it look natural. I've done it too, and I'm certain I didn't look quite as skilled as he.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

Thompson was a mile or 2 up the beach from Polly creek on another small creek.
                  Were they older folks? Used to fish one permit? I met those people, very nice.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X