Barry Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!

Looks like Whittier gets hit with about 4 good waves...
    Last edited by iofthetaiga; 2 weeks ago.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I built a page on the site, concerning this issue earlier in the year. Have a look and let me know if anything needs to be adjusted. It's a very serious issue. Here's the link: https://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/...sunami-warning
      Michael Strahan
      Site Owner
      Alaska Hunt Consultant
      1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
        I built a page on the site, concerning this issue earlier in the year. Have a look and let me know if anything needs to be adjusted. It's a very serious issue. Here's the link: https://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/...sunami-warning
        Hi Mike. Looks like maybe DGGS has changed the URL you've linked to on that page. They don't seem to work anymore(?). This thing will undoubtedly continue to be something of a moving target (pun) as it evolves.

Some really good info in this thread. I especially appreciate Patsfan54's last two links which really help demonstrate in tangible terms the magnitude of the danger this presents.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
          Nice!

Looks like Whittier gets hit with about 4 good waves...
          Yep and the first one crests at about 30' followed by a trough just under 30'...roughly sixty feet of water moving in and out of Whittier in about 10-15 minutes, then a couple more 15' crests and 15' troughs over the next hour. If this event were to happen as projected here all of Western PWS will be virtually unnavigable by small craft for quite some time.
          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I'm wondering if they should just pull the band-aid so to speak. In other words, if we are only prolonging the inevitable, wouldn't it be advantageous to plan an intentional collapse of the slide area by using dynamite/explosives etc. Before you all scream out that I am stupid, answer me this, wouldn't be better for this to happen knowingly when people could evacuated safely and perhaps the city of Whittier can build sea walls or some other type of mitigation strategy and just get it done and over with. Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
              I'm wondering if they should just pull the band-aid so to speak. In other words, if we are only prolonging the inevitable, wouldn't it be advantageous to plan an intentional collapse of the slide area by using dynamite/explosives etc. Before you all scream out that I am stupid, answer me this, wouldn't be better for this to happen knowingly when people could evacuated safely and perhaps the city of Whittier can build sea walls or some other type of mitigation strategy and just get it done and over with. Just food for thought.
              I was thinking similar thoughts. Let the Air Force target it. Of course the ensuing tsunami would undoubtedly cause a ton of lawsuits. But if mother nature does it, who ya gonna sue?
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                On the surface, that seems like a logical idea, but you have to also consider that there isn't 100% certainty that a tsunami will occur at all. There is always a chance that it just continues to slowly slip until it eventually stops at the bottom and no catastrophic failure. Intentionally setting it off guarantees a huge amount of damage. Not an easy situation no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post

On the surface, that seems like a logical idea, but you have to also consider that there isn't 100% certainty that a tsunami will occur at all. There is always a chance that it just continues to slowly slip until it eventually stops at the bottom and no catastrophic failure. Intentionally setting it off guarantees a huge amount of damage. Not an easy situation no matter how you look at it.
                  The guy leading this research, he's from Seldovia, said basically what you just said. They could also use all kinds of explosives and have nothing happen and then a day or a year later it drops off creating a tsunami and then who's to blame. Plus good luck getting the Forest Circus and whoever else to issue the permits you would need. It would be really cool to see them blowing it up though!
                  I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Dont ever let the government blow anything up unless its the military aiming at enemy targets. You guys may be too young to remember this infamous fiasco, but it **** near killed some bystanders (and took out a nice Oldsmobile 98):<br/>https://www.opb.org/artsandlife/series/history/florence-oregon-whale-explosion-history/<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that whale video is so epic!!!! makes me smile every time i see it.
                      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X