Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Trailering up a boat that big, you might have a problem with the boats bridge height. There is at least one, steel girder bridge you might have a height problem with and one on the Glenn hwy. The Glenn Hwy. big rigs get off at the exit before and go back on the "on" ramp on the other side going around. But that big steel bridge there is no way to go around. The place that issues you your oversized permit probably knows the height.

Leave a comment:

• sjantz
    replied
    I am having a boat built in Idaho this winter. I got a quote four weeks ago from Alaska Logistics on the first sailing in April for $3400. The quote indicates the boat and trailer need to be under 30' long, 9' wide and 10' high. The exact sailing schedule for next year has not been finalized, but they indicated there will be one sailing in April with more added each month throughout the summer. They sail from Seattle to Seward. With all the Covid crap going on it's a crap shoot on when the border will open up. Even if they do open the border, I can't drive down and back to get the boat for less than that if you consider fuel, hotel, food and time.

Leave a comment:

• eyeonalaska
    replied
    Originally posted by akgriz View Post
    See if Alaska Logistics can get you a better price.
    Thanks, akgriz. I'll give them a call.

Leave a comment:

• eyeonalaska
    replied
    If we do the Gulf crossing, we would definitely stay close to shore, most likely starting from Elfin Cove to Yakutat. It would be hard to pass up Glacier Bay.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by eyeonalaska View Post
    We're in the exact same situation. Just bought a 35' boat in Seattle where it will stay for the winter, then bringing it up next spring. I just got an estimate from Lynden/AML to Whittier by barge for $12,800. I'd have to make separate arrangements in Whittier to lift it off the barge. Our problem is that right now we don't feel like the boat has enough fuel capacity to make the Juneau-Yakutat or Yakutat-Cordova run across the gulf with any kind of decent safety cushion. We're looking at all sorts of different options, from fuel bladders to possibly putting it on a rental trailer (if we could even find one) from Juneau to Whittier on the car ferry. We did get an estimate to trailer it from Seattle to Seward overland and that was $23,000
    You don't want to run straight across the gulf. Inside passage to (Can't remember the name) then to Yukatat then to PWS. Map it out between fuel ups. But some places may not let you fuel up. Lay it out on a map, call the fuel sources ahead of leaving and plan on Corvid restrictions screwing you up. You still have to check into Canadian Customs to cross their waters.

Leave a comment:

• akgriz
    replied
    See if Alaska Logistics can get you a better price.

Leave a comment:

• eyeonalaska
    replied
    We're in the exact same situation. Just bought a 35' boat in Seattle where it will stay for the winter, then bringing it up next spring. I just got an estimate from Lynden/AML to Whittier by barge for $12,800. I'd have to make separate arrangements in Whittier to lift it off the barge. Our problem is that right now we don't feel like the boat has enough fuel capacity to make the Juneau-Yakutat or Yakutat-Cordova run across the gulf with any kind of decent safety cushion. We're looking at all sorts of different options, from fuel bladders to possibly putting it on a rental trailer (if we could even find one) from Juneau to Whittier on the car ferry. We did get an estimate to trailer it from Seattle to Seward overland and that was $23,000

Leave a comment:

• AK Dudeman
    replied
    So, me & a buddy flew down to Seattle in middle of September & drove his truck back up & didn’t have any trouble. Except for the confusion with Boarder guard.. My buddy had done trip 3 weeks earlier with wife’s rig, he did All paper work & checked out with Canadian customs & they never filed paper work so it showed he was still in Canada, but boarder guy said “ Obviously you’re not“.. it was also same guy he delta with few weeks prior & got different speeches both times. There also a new boat brought to my town this summer & it was towed up & we saw other on highway heading North..

Leave a comment:

• nooksack
    replied
    Yes, today the mandates are supposed to update I believe.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by nooksack View Post
    Dave, was the travel denied because it wasn't deemed necessary ? Or?
    I have a used truck down south to drive back and a trailer for a 26' Tolly to tow behind. I can't get a straight answer from them. It seems to be left up to the Immigrations officer at the port of entry.
    At the time he asked, yes it was not essential travel so he was denied. Someone posted on another part of the forum that they wanted to drive with their daughter down to college in the L48. The parents were turned around as not essential up in Tok.

But things do change so keep calling I guess.

Leave a comment:

• nooksack
    replied
    Dave, was the travel denied because it wasn't deemed necessary ? Or?
    I have a used truck down south to drive back and a trailer for a 26' Tolly to tow behind. I can't get a straight answer from them. It seems to be left up to the Immigrations officer at the port of entry.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

You don't need to go through Canada when you go around Canada, that's why I said sailing the boat would be my choice. Going through Canada isn't a problem if you use the boat for what boats are made to do.
    Yes, sailing up is the only option if you don't barge it up. My friend did the trip last year. I can't remember how many days, but his 49' boat sucked up $5,000+ of fuel. He spent extra time in Yukatat as they would not give him fuel after the 8 hour work day. When he asked the price, he got a "We'll see." With Corvid some places may not even want someone from out of town fueling up. It would be an interesting trip in these times.

Leave a comment:

• Patsfan54
    replied
    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

Only problem is you can't get thru Canada They would not let my friend haul his up.
    You don't need to go through Canada when you go around Canada, that's why I said sailing the boat would be my choice. Going through Canada isn't a problem if you use the boat for what boats are made to do.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    If I had the time I'd sail it without question. Towing it or barging it will cost close to the same as the fuel needed, fuel might be less with the current gas prices. Plus sailing the inside passage and crossing the gulf in your own boat...priceless.
    Only problem is you can't get thru Canada They would not let my friend haul his up.

Leave a comment:

• Patsfan54
    replied
    If I had the time I'd sail it without question. Towing it or barging it will cost close to the same as the fuel needed, fuel might be less with the current gas prices. Plus sailing the inside passage and crossing the gulf in your own boat...priceless.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X