Getting boat from Seattle to seward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eyeonalaska View Post
    We're in the exact same situation. Just bought a 35' boat in Seattle where it will stay for the winter, then bringing it up next spring. I just got an estimate from Lynden/AML to Whittier by barge for $12,800. I'd have to make separate arrangements in Whittier to lift it off the barge. Our problem is that right now we don't feel like the boat has enough fuel capacity to make the Juneau-Yakutat or Yakutat-Cordova run across the gulf with any kind of decent safety cushion. We're looking at all sorts of different options, from fuel bladders to possibly putting it on a rental trailer (if we could even find one) from Juneau to Whittier on the car ferry. We did get an estimate to trailer it from Seattle to Seward overland and that was $23,000
    You don't want to run straight across the gulf. Inside passage to (Can't remember the name) then to Yukatat then to PWS. Map it out between fuel ups. But some places may not let you fuel up. Lay it out on a map, call the fuel sources ahead of leaving and plan on Corvid restrictions screwing you up. You still have to check into Canadian Customs to cross their waters.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

If we do the Gulf crossing, we would definitely stay close to shore, most likely starting from Elfin Cove to Yakutat. It would be hard to pass up Glacier Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
        See if Alaska Logistics can get you a better price.
        Thanks, akgriz. I'll give them a call.

Comment

I am having a boat built in Idaho this winter. I got a quote four weeks ago from Alaska Logistics on the first sailing in April for $3400. The quote indicates the boat and trailer need to be under 30' long, 9' wide and 10' high. The exact sailing schedule for next year has not been finalized, but they indicated there will be one sailing in April with more added each month throughout the summer. They sail from Seattle to Seward. With all the Covid crap going on it's a crap shoot on when the border will open up. Even if they do open the border, I can't drive down and back to get the boat for less than that if you consider fuel, hotel, food and time.

Comment

Trailering up a boat that big, you might have a problem with the boats bridge height. There is at least one, steel girder bridge you might have a height problem with and one on the Glenn hwy. The Glenn Hwy. big rigs get off at the exit before and go back on the "on" ramp on the other side going around. But that big steel bridge there is no way to go around. The place that issues you your oversized permit probably knows the height.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X