outboard jet back spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outboard jet back spray

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on dealing with an excessive amount of spray/wash coming back into my skiff over the transom. I have a mercury 35HP jet and I need it trimmed fairly low to get on step but once that happens it ends up filling the rear of the boat with a bunch of spray hitting the transom and coming over.

I've heard of folks mounting a "spray skirt" on the flange protruding from the tunnel to help with this but I can't find anything on this from my research on where to start for building my own as no one I've call has anything like that I can buy.

any advise on building a spray blocker or where to go to have one purchased or installed?

Thanks,
    ajsnowflake

Gary at Greatland Welding did this for me. No more problems.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Awesome, thank you sir!

Comment

You are more than welcome sir!
        Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Dang. Nice work.

Comment

Although it sounds like I may have a different set-up than you, I was dealing with this issue as well and did not completely mitigate the spray, although I was able to reduce it quite a bit. It's my understanding that the spray is a common problem if you have a jackplate or any kind of setback- doesn't sound like you have a jackplate, but I'll share some thoughts anyways. I've got a 20' Alaskan II and a 105 set on a jackplate. I initially bolted a piece of UHMW to the tunnel flange. The UHMW extended out to the leading edge of my intake and just ran past (and above) it a hair. I still had the same amount of spray though. So I contacted Wooldridge and they sent me a tunnel extension that actually has fins along the edges (similar to the fins you see folks mount onto the sides of the jet foot). I realize that something like this may not work for whatever kind of boat you have, but the trick to reducing the spray- for me anyways- seemed to be to add something that has fins along the side that angle downwards at a 45, as opposed to just mounting a flat piece that extends out.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X