App for PWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App for PWS

I've been testing Seawell NavigationCharts and TZ iBoat as a backup for navigation. Last weekend I ran out to Main Bay and saw several rocks that where not on either app. TZ iBoat has some nice features and i'm using the Vector charts. Are Raster charts better for PWS?

Is there a better app out there with accurate PWS mapps?

Iíve been pretty pleased with the Navionics Boating app. Not cheap as far as apps go, but has been really accurate in my experience thus far.

Comment

Unfortunately, the Sound hasn’t had a comprehensive survey since before the 64 earthquakes, except for some of the commercial channels. It doesn’t really matter how much you spend for charts you’ll find uncharted hazard just about everywhere. The 64-earthquake heaved the ocean floor up like 20 feet or more in some places, running fast above the 10 fathom line in many places is risky at best, evidenced by my bent props and gouged gelcoat.

Whenever I find an uncharted hazard it goes on my digital chart.

Once I’ve travels through a sketchy area the track gets saved for future use and piece of mind.

My 2 cents for what it's worth

Jay
      07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
      OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by breausaw View Post
        Unfortunately, the Sound hasn’t had a comprehensive survey since before the 64 earthquakes, except for some of the commercial channels. It doesn’t really matter how much you spend for charts you’ll find uncharted hazard just about everywhere. The 64-earthquake heaved the ocean floor up like 20 feet or more in some places, running fast above the 10 fathom line in many places is risky at best, evidenced by my bent props and gouged gelcoat.

Whenever I find an uncharted hazard it goes on my digital chart.

Once I’ve travels through a sketchy area the track gets saved for future use and piece of mind.

My 2 cents for what it's worth

I don't disagree that you can find uncharted hazards just about everywhere.

However it isn't true that the Sound hasn't been surveyed since the 64 quake. Most of the Sound has been surveyed with good detail since then:
        https://data.noaa.gov/metaview/page?...ew&header=none

You can find specific details of the survey years and how that data set was created here:
        https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/dat/de..._mhhw_2009.pdf

Now, whether your chart plotter has been updated with these newer charts is another question. But if you are using an app such as Navionics you are probably getting the best detail available. I don't really consider it to be expensive since the basic version is free. For Android it is 14.99/yr subscription to get the advanced features such as route planning and map updates.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. Navionics Is the best I tested with updated maps. NOAA had surveys done Farley recently. Lethgo’s worked with them a bit and has pictures of the ships in there guide.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X