Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally found a use for 5200

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally found a use for 5200

    My inflatables go through hell dropping and picking up hunters from narly boulders covered in barnacles or sharp shale beaches. I got a bunch of tubes and spread them over some scratched wear areas. Iím excited to see it this stuff works. <br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>Shoot move communicate!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  • #2
    5200 is the only sealant I use on my boat. I am replacing all the old silicone that the previous owner put on as it falls off. Hate silicone on boats. 5200 is great stuff.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      5200 is the only sealant I use on my boat. I am replacing all the old silicone that the previous owner put on as it falls off. Hate silicone on boats. 5200 is great stuff.
      <br/><br/>Good stuff till you need to remove it<br/><br/><br/>Shoot move communicate!
      Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
      www.kodiakcombos.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kodiakcombo View Post
        <br/><br/>Good stuff till you need to remove it<br/><br/><br/>Shoot move communicate!
        kodiakcombo, i was told by guy that works on boats “If you want to remove 5200 you need the proper tools for fiberglass hulls use a sawzalls, aluminum use a skill saw.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          5200 is the only sealant I use on my boat. I am replacing all the old silicone that the previous owner put on as it falls off. Hate silicone on boats. 5200 is great stuff.
          Dave silicone gets into the gelcote so make sure you sand/grind any areas your are changing so the 5200 gets a good grip. Sikaflex also makes some very good sealants.
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

          Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
          907 775 1692

          Comment


          • #6
            I do clean surfaces very well. Most sealant/ adhesives failures affe from lack of preparation.

            Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans


            Comment


            • #7
              The only time I’ll use 5200 is on permanent applications and have the luxury of waiting days for if to cure.

              For that reason, 3M 4200 quick cure is a favorite, it has good bonding strength, longevity, and if you ever want to remove its possible.

              4200 non-quick cure is my second favorite, has a little stronger adhesive/strength and cures way faster than 5200.

              3M 4000 is good also, great for temporary application or anything that requires removing for PM work.
              This product is good for anything above or below the waterline where flexibility is a required component of the application.

              Valuable tip: Store these produces frozen after opening, they will last much longer, especially the fast cure verity.

              My 2 cents for whatever it’s worth.
              Jay
              07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
              OurPlayground.

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by breausaw View Post
                Valuable tip: Store these produces frozen after opening, they will last much longer, especially the fast cure verity.
                I use a lot of 5200/4200 out of the caulking tubes. I always keep a roll of aluminum tape in the shop, and have found that if you reseal both ends of the tube with aluminum tape, immediately after you're done using it, it will keep almost as long as an unopened tube. Sealing the top of the toothpaste type tubes with a tiny piece of aluminum tape and then screwing the plastic cap down over the aluminum tape; same thing: as good as unopened.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                  I use a lot of 5200/4200 out of the caulking tubes. I always keep a roll of aluminum tape in the shop, and have found that if you reseal both ends of the tube with aluminum tape, immediately after you're done using it, it will keep almost as long as an unopened tube. Sealing the top of the toothpaste type tubes with a tiny piece of aluminum tape and then screwing the plastic cap down over the aluminum tape; same thing: as good as unopened.
                  Might have to get me some of that aluminum tape...

                  Jay
                  07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                  OurPlayground.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Footer Adsense

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X