Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum winch....follow up question

Hello,

A couple of seasons ago the owner of a brew pub down town ANC was building a North River Offshore boat. On that boat he was installing a drum winch for deep anchoring.....its a sort of black and high vis green boat....I think the name is "Buzz Off".

I saw the boat yesterday in the harbor at PWS.

I'm interested in looking for a drum winch and wanted to know what he ended up running...if someone can find the thread. (I can't even find advanced search on this new layout...).. that would be appreciated.

Also I'm currently looking at EzAnchor Puller and LoneStar, if anyone wants to chime in feedback on that.

Specifically I'm looking to run 1000" feet of 1/4" rode.

Thanks for the help!

Alaska Armory -- http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaArmory
    Underwood Ammunition Dealer

If you are in Valdez I am in slip G14. I have a Lonestar G3. It has 420' (5/16")with rode and chain. You could also use 1/4" synthetic. I don't know why you need 1,000. Brian at BK Marine can give you the capacities of the G3/G4 which might hold enough for you. I love the Lonestar with a remote. 95% of the time I can pull from the cabin and no issues. If I break the wire ties on the anchor/chain then it comes up funky and needs help as it won't fit under the guide on the front of the roller. I can even sit on the dock with the remote and unwind the rode and straighten out any possible issues. Love it!

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

just call Brian at BK's Marine 232-6399 and be done with it. I've never heard a bad thing about the Lonestar winches.
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
      907 775 1692

Comment

As much as I want to support BKmarine and Lone Star, they don’t sell a free fall option like the EZ Puller. Therefore I just couldn’t go with them.

I’ve had zero problems with my EZ Puller and it’s unbelievably quiet. With the free fall option, anchoring is much easier than the power down found on the Lone Star. I’ve had both types and will never go back to a power down type anchor puller.

I agree with Dave as I can’t understand why you’d want 1000ft of rode but I don’t think either brand will hold that amount. You can look up the capacities in their websites to verify. You might look at some of the synthetics as they can be pretty strong at smaller diameters but they don’t stretch like traditional anchor rope which is critical when anchoring.

just my 2 cents.
        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=patrickL;;ve had zero problems with my EZ Puller and it’s unbelievably quiet. With the free fall option, anchoring is much easier than the power down found on the Lone Star. I've had both types and will never go back to a power down type anchor puller.

[/QUOTE]

I love the power down. Often to hit a spot exactly, by the time the anchor hits the bottom the tide/wind/current usually takes me off the spot. With power down I can let it out until it is just off the bottom, just troll back over my spot and drop.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Curious on why you dislike the power down and want the free fall I have no experience with either

Comment

Originally posted by catchfish View Post
              Curious on why you dislike the power down and want the free fall I have no experience with either
              Dave seems to have a technique that works but I struggled to figure out how to hit a desired spot with a power down winch. I have had much better luck with the free fall styles than with the power down models. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to have figured it out
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by patrickL View Post

Dave seems to have a technique that works but I struggled to figure out how to hit a desired spot with a power down winch. I have had much better luck with the free fall styles than with the power down models. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to have figured it out
                What works for some people, doesn't for others. It is just a personal preference thing. It's like dropping shrimp pots in a particular spot. I look at the boats drift, where am I headed without power. I start dropping 40-50 yards the other side of my spot and let all three just fall. Straight down over the side as the boat moves by natures power. Bottom pot is weighted and I let the bottom pot hit. Then apply just hand pressure to lay the string down. It takes maybe 4 minutes for the first pot to hit bottom, my line is marked so I know how many feet are out. Some people like to drag the pots under power as soon as the third pot is overboard. They're just dragging their gear off of their spot. It isn't an exact science but works for me.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

What works for some people, doesn't for others. It is just a personal preference thing. It's like dropping shrimp pots in a particular spot. I look at the boats drift, where am I headed without power. I start dropping 40-50 yards the other side of my spot and let all three just fall. Straight down over the side as the boat moves by natures power. Bottom pot is weighted and I let the bottom pot hit. Then apply just hand pressure to lay the string down. It takes maybe 4 minutes for the first pot to hit bottom, my line is marked so I know how many feet are out. Some people like to drag the pots under power as soon as the third pot is overboard. They're just dragging their gear off of their spot. It isn't an exact science but works for me.
                  So you drift them out ?
                  sigpic
                  Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                  Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                  Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                  alaskashrimppots.com
                  akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                  907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post

So you drift them out ?
                    Pretty much. The wind/tide puts enough pressure on the rope to pull it out and enough that I can hang onto the rope to tighten and lay the set down. If I put the boat in power it is just too much force.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                      If you are in Valdez I am in slip G14. I have a Lonestar G3. It has 420' (5/16")with rode and chain. You could also use 1/4" synthetic. I don't know why you need 1,000. Brian at BK Marine can give you the capacities of the G3/G4 which might hold enough for you. I love the Lonestar with a remote. 95% of the time I can pull from the cabin and no issues. If I break the wire ties on the anchor/chain then it comes up funky and needs help as it won't fit under the guide on the front of the roller. I can even sit on the dock with the remote and unwind the rode and straighten out any possible issues. Love it!

Thanks for the offer. Not in Valdez but much appreciated.

Alaska Armory -- http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaArmory
                      Underwood Ammunition Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post

So you drift them out ?
                        thats what we do too find which way the current/wind is pushing us and lead the spot where we want to hit. didnt know people drag them to the spot. sorry for high jack
                        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

We circle the wagons, looking the ground over on the plotter, line up according to what the tides doing and pitch em in. At 70 i can still launch gear at 7 or 8 knots and with 100 ft spacing theyre flat enough for me. This is a 4 pot string, id not care to try this with any more gear as it gets to be a lot of fast thinking and occasionally some dancing.
                          a lot of folks dont consider the direction of the tide. I dont care what its doing when launching, id do care where the buoy will be when i pick them up! I want it over the gear, not strung out another 400ft or so.
                          if a problem develops ill either hold em back to get them tight Again or if theres a bad tangle i just retrieve and relaunch, been working for over 15 years and have not lost any pots.
                          hit mark and work the real-estate progressively. This year we kept track and from the time i bring the buoy onboard till i toss it back, were 15 minutes or less. Then we bust off the tails!

* i oughta read the whole thread, sorry. No wonder it seemed odd to me probably seemed odd to you too.
                          Last edited by Alasgun; 06-25-2020, 17:48.

Comment

I didnt read all the reply's, but I can say I have had both, I had a earlier generation EZ, (bought 2017). I will try to make this short... First problems were when the 2 mm pin in the clutch broke..... It was a less than two season old and had a personal guarantee from the owner of EZ he would guarantee the winch as I bought it a season before it went into use so I could build the pulpit etc.

Contacted EZ for the 2 mm pin, OH, he says we have redesigned our winch and no longer "support" that design or offer ANY parts..... ! Not even a 2 MM ss cotter pin....! Ordered a bag of 100 from McMaster, not a big deal but aggravating none the less. Next season we were anchored in Gravina catching yellow eye, anchor got hung, pulled a bit hard and broke off the grub screws that anchor the hub to the shaft, part of the free wheeling system.... .... What a mess, contacted EZ, same reply..... NOW what, remove parts, drag them back to town and make my own 5/16" grub screws.... (To be honest I may have pulled too hard, current or wind, its gonna happen... still it should not have failed, I believe a LS would pull your boat under before it would fail....!) To their credit EZ offers me a good deal on a updated winch and I go for it.

I fix the old winch to get me through the season, the new winch arrives, looks pretty good, except, it has the same 5/16" grub screws as the original winch..... UNBELIEVABLE....! OK, the old ones were slotted the new ones are allen.... Anyway the winch looks good, but I dont trust EZ and will not put another product of theirs on my boat... Sold them both and bought a Lone Star form Brian, works great, power in, power out, just like they have been doing for years, sure its a little slower and dropping the hook when fishing requires a little planning.... But its a solid unit, I asked LS about freefall and they said too many parts to fail for them... this is my experience yours may differ...
                            He who know nothing, still knows nothing

Comment

Originally posted by cjjeeper View Post
                              Hello,

A couple of seasons ago the owner of a brew pub down town ANC was building a North River Offshore boat. On that boat he was installing a drum winch for deep anchoring.....its a sort of black and high vis green boat....I think the name is "Buzz Off".

I saw the boat yesterday in the harbor at PWS.

I'm interested in looking for a drum winch and wanted to know what he ended up running...if someone can find the thread. (I can't even find advanced search on this new layout...).. that would be appreciated.

Also I'm currently looking at EzAnchor Puller and LoneStar, if anyone wants to chime in feedback on that.

Specifically I'm looking to run 1000" feet of 1/4" rode.

Thanks for the help!
                              Is This the boat?

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...900-build-pics

He who know nothing, still knows nothing

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X