No announcement yet.

Drum winch....follow up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Lone Star has been flawless. The hand held remote is so handy to help when the line snarls or I just want to rewind it on the dock. Anyone not running a drum these days is missing out on something awesome.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	winch.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2757799 I have a LS G4 and been anchoring up to about 350'. I started doing something similar to Daveinthebush, I check out the wind and current direction, line up on the spot going into the current, lower the anchor as I approach to about 50' off the bottom. When over my chosen spot drop the anchor to the bottom. I plan a certain amount of scope so the stern of the boat is more or less over my spot. I don't always hit it but am getting better. This is my first year with a drum winch, had a couple Lewmars before. A couple people I've talked to with drum winches with free fall are always repairing their free fall parts. The only problem I've had is not the winch but the soft black rubber roller on the bow spirit, replacing it with a yellow nylon roller should solve that. The anchor line which is also from LoneStar has pulled down into the side of the roller and gotten stuck twice. A larger diameter anchor line probably would not have this problem with the black roller. Anyway I would never consider any other type of winch. I suggest marking your anchor line so you have an idea of how much line you out.
      Last edited by yanert; 07-06-2020, 09:30.

Comment

Yes, we have 1050 foot packages of synthetic and double braid for the gx 3 winch. 1000 foot same pkg for the gx4 winch, as well as the regular double braid in 420 foot that many use. You have options on each winch size, made for the Lone Star winch. If I can be of any help or educate you on the difference between EZ pull and Lone Star, I would be happy too.<br/>However, these guys above have made some very good points.<br/>Commercial guys are swapping over to LS, boat builders are buying from us, and tons of Lewmar are being replaced.<br/>Again, I welcome anyone to call, Im happy to help. 907-233-6399<br/>Bk<br/>Ps-Watch this independent test lab torture test<br/><br/><br/>https://youtu.be/t66J1uhBpMI<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        BK Marine Services 232-6399
        Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
        Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
        Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
          I didnt read all the reply's, but I can say I have had both, I had a earlier generation EZ, (bought 2017). I will try to make this short... First problems were when the 2 mm pin in the clutch broke..... It was a less than two season old and had a personal guarantee from the owner of EZ he would guarantee the winch as I bought it a season before it went into use so I could build the pulpit etc.

Contacted EZ for the 2 mm pin, OH, he says we have redesigned our winch and no longer "support" that design or offer ANY parts..... ! Not even a 2 MM ss cotter pin....! Ordered a bag of 100 from McMaster, not a big deal but aggravating none the less. Next season we were anchored in Gravina catching yellow eye, anchor got hung, pulled a bit hard and broke off the grub screws that anchor the hub to the shaft, part of the free wheeling system.... .... What a mess, contacted EZ, same reply..... NOW what, remove parts, drag them back to town and make my own 5/16" grub screws.... (To be honest I may have pulled too hard, current or wind, its gonna happen... still it should not have failed, I believe a LS would pull your boat under before it would fail....!) To their credit EZ offers me a good deal on a updated winch and I go for it.

I fix the old winch to get me through the season, the new winch arrives, looks pretty good, except, it has the same 5/16" grub screws as the original winch..... UNBELIEVABLE....! OK, the old ones were slotted the new ones are allen.... Anyway the winch looks good, but I dont trust EZ and will not put another product of theirs on my boat... Sold them both and bought a Lone Star form Brian, works great, power in, power out, just like they have been doing for years, sure its a little slower and dropping the hook when fishing requires a little planning.... But its a solid unit, I asked LS about freefall and they said too many parts to fail for them... this is my experience yours may differ...
          Thanks for the info... good to know.
          Alaska Armory -- http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaArmory
          Underwood Ammunition Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
            Yes, we have 1050 foot packages of synthetic and double braid for the gx 3 winch. 1000 foot same pkg for the gx4 winch, as well as the regular double braid in 420 foot that many use. You have options on each winch size, made for the Lone Star winch. If I can be of any help or educate you on the difference between EZ pull and Lone Star, I would be happy too.<br/>However, these guys above have made some very good points.<br/>Commercial guys are swapping over to LS, boat builders are buying from us, and tons of Lewmar are being replaced.<br/>Again, I welcome anyone to call, Im happy to help. 907-233-6399<br/>Bk<br/>Ps-Watch this independent test lab torture test<br/><br/><br/>https://youtu.be/t66J1uhBpMI<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            thanks..I might be calling...

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
              Yes...thats the boat

Comment

Originally posted by cjjeeper View Post

Yes...thats the boat
                About Drum winch....follow up question to be fair i never installed or tried out the second winch, it looked good and uncannily similar to a lone star. It probably works fine, but I suspect the free fall feature could may be problematic. The big thing was how the company dealt with a customer and servicing what they sell. I know i never have and never will treat a customer in that way.
                “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X